Mike Anderson - Former Coach

Paying out an enormous buyout is not done unless there are parameters in place already for a big move.
Oh, this is definitely a “beat them to punch” move.

And, I almost posted this in the other thread but I won’t sully up what (should) be a respectful thread but we’re thanking coaches for not embarrassing the university now? That’s the standard around here?

If the players are hearing that Pitino is coming , I think their handlers will tell them to hold off.
But, Rick has to want them too, and that could be an issue, especially given Rick's preference (rightly) for players who can hit the three point shot. Because on this team, only Pinzon, Storr and Wusu showed that ability, and none of them at a great rate (maybe Pinzon).

I was gonna post this in the "Thanks Mike" thread but it's gone, so here goes....

Good things about the CMA tenure:

1. Never had a downright embarrassing loss or season, unlike all his predecessors except Fran.

2. Had a great run in his second season that brought some excitement during the COVID season.

3. Hired a great assistant in Van, promoted him to Associate Head Coach and kept recruiting ties strong locally

4. Hired another great assistant in Shoes Vetrone who unfortunately didn't have enough time to make his mark.

5. May not have recruited elite players but recruited full rosters, which neither Lavin nor Mullin really had.

6. Garnered strong loyalty among some players as seen in tweets by Joel, AJ.

7. No scandals, no real embarrassments. DeMeo lawsuit wasn't great and Moore's racist tweets. But all is all pretty good.

8. Saw an incredible jump in development by underrecruited players Julian and Joel.

People trashed Chris Mullin for bad coaching, someone who did more for the program than anyone but thanking Anderson for bad coaching.
Confusing concept
Ok so what did Mulling do for our program? He didnt really coach, didnt recruit, was more of a general manager. Thanking Anderson! YES. His players tried hard, he recruited well, but his style of coaching was outdated and didnt work. He never embarrassed us, was well liked, and respected the University.

I was gonna post this in the "Thanks Mike" thread but it's gone, so here goes....

Good things about the CMA tenure:

1. Never had a downright embarrassing loss or season, unlike all his predecessors except Fran.

2. Had a great run in his second season that brought some excitement during the COVID season.

3. Hired a great assistant in Van, promoted him to Associate Head Coach and kept recruiting ties strong locally

4. Hired another great assistant in Shoes Vetrone who unfortunately didn't have enough time to make his mark.

5. May not have recruited elite players but recruited full rosters, which neither Lavin nor Mullin really had.

6. Garnered strong loyalty among some players as seen in tweets by Joel, AJ.

7. No scandals, no real embarrassments. DeMeo lawsuit wasn't great and Moore's racist tweets. But all is all pretty good.

8. Saw an incredible jump in development by underrecruited players Julian and Joel.
Why was the Thank You Mike thread deleted?

But, Rick has to want them too, and that could be an issue, especially given Rick's preference (rightly) for players who can hit the three point shot. Because on this team, only Pinzon, Storr and Wusu showed that ability, and none of them at a great rate (maybe Pinzon).
Pinzons 3pt% was the worst of the 3.

TYFYS coach Mike Anderson. 2 very different sentiments may be said at the same time and be true.

He was a good man, a hard worker and put together a staff which consistently had good talent on the floor. He also was completely out coached at every turn and leveraged us into a contract extension he didn’t deserve. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out Michael, you were one of the worst!

Interesting. I still think he was the best shooter of the three, although Wusu really got better at it this year (his percentage was high last year too, but he seemed to be shooting it with more confidence this year).
I always thought there was a rush to anoint Pinzon as a better shooter than he was. Around 35%, which is what he was with limited attempts, seems right to me. Pretty good, not great.

I really really hope to see both Wusu and Storr in an SJU uniform under our next coach.

Back