Mike Anderson - Former Coach

Late February wasn't that long ago. And I was told some potentially bad news tonight that could indicate that CMA possibly knew, and that the kids knew: Storr's family has apparently expressed their intent to transfer if Van is not retained.

There has also been some slight speculation on the board that Gardner would being moving on. Was told tonight that this is true if Macon is let go.

Seems to me Rick will have a decision to make.
Are we getting out in front of ourselves by presuming RP will be our next coach?

I am a ND fan because my Granddaughter graduated last May . I would think / say that it was a huge mistake for Syracuse , Pitt, ND , Louisville to leave the Big East for the ACC . None of them have fared well since they bolted . Sure , it was a decision made by bean counting School Presidents and the Football people . But , they could have said , “ Bleep you and remained in BE.” ND has the ability in Football, due to its Nationwide fan base and it’s almost lifetime TV contract to do whatever they want . The NCAA doesn’t have big enough balls to tell ND they can’t participate in Bowl games . Plus , ND already dictates to the ACC that it will only play so many ACC games any way , But , back to the topic , Brey’s teams were often contenders in the BE until they left . So was Syracuse and Pitt , Louisville but , the ACC still has the draw for the one and done players plus the State schools have big Tax payer budgets . Brey is a good , solid Coach but , isn’t Pitino . Any hate towards him here is unjustified .
Yeah no hate for him at all. Actually quite like him. But this is an extremely important hire for sju and he is not a guarantee in any sense. I’m sure he would have faired better had ND stayed in the BE, but sju is also not ND.

A winning record? You mean if you include the 11-1 OOC record, perhaps the weakest in league history? Winning record, that’s a laugh.

How about 4 years and no Dance invite? I guess you’re still longing for Norm Roberts.
Please read your own message and let me know if it makes and sense? How did you include Norm?

Here is why speculation is annoying, everyone getting worked up then going to hate on guy we do get. Going to be miserable on here.
I think all old fans are expecting the worst and the newbies haven't seen true success and then have had to watch the program implode.

Hope springs eternal except for SJU where hope has been leaking out of the bucket for 20 years

Yeah no hate for him at all. Actually quite like him. But this is an extremely important hire for sju and he is not a guarantee in any sense. I’m sure he would have faired better had ND stayed in the BE, but sju is also not ND.
Agreed . But , if we whiff on Pitino , which z heaven help us not to, Brey is not a awful choice . He can Coach and knows how to recruit Shooters . Lastly , with Coach K and Roy Williams still Coaching when Louisville and the other schools bolted , there is no guarantee Pitino would have dominated the ACC either . He would have contended but , not dominate .

Names?
We have been crying for good game coach for years. Brey fits for me.
If it’s a high major guy who’s been let go in past, I’d much prefer Mack.

You said you were cool with claxton, if mid major coach, id prefer Langel who’s won 5 straight conference tournaments and has the #1 three point shooting team in the country.
Also 9th in country in 2pt fg%. 3rd in assists. Top 20 in fewest TO’s. Game coach baby.

Last edited:
First fact: SJU has not gotten past the Big East Tournament quarterfinals since the year 2000.

Second fact: Which BTW has to be filed under impossible yet true. In the four Big East Tournament Quarterfinal games under Coach Mike Anderson, SJU outscored their opponents in regulation time play 226 to 224 yet never won a single game.

Only a team that has some kind of a voodoo curse on it could have that happen. Of course the realist in me says there are no voodoo curses and it just took a pandemic and a whole set of other bizarre circumstances to have this come to fruition.
GZ it's definitely the voodoo curse.

If it’s a high major guy who’s been let go in past, I’d much prefer Mack.

You said you were cool with claxton, if mid major coach, id prefer Langel who’s won 5 straight conference tournaments and has the #1 three point shooting team in the country.
See I don’t love Mack
And what exactly happened with him at Louisville?

Back