Mike Anderson - Former Coach

I would also like to thank Charles Smith for missing all those layups, Armando Benitez for blowing those saves and Geno for being so slow.

Now that I look back, it's a solid effort by Smith. Just had guys come up with a strip and a bunch of blocks. I forgive you, Charles.

No way they told him in February.
Late February wasn't that long ago. And I was told some potentially bad news tonight that could indicate that CMA possibly knew, and that the kids knew: Storr's family has apparently expressed their intent to transfer if Van is not retained.

There has also been some slight speculation on the board that Gardner would being moving on. Was told tonight that this is true if Macon is let go.

Seems to me Rick will have a decision to make.

Late February wasn't that long ago. And I was told some potentially bad news tonight that could indicate that CMA possibly knew, and that the kids knew: Storr's family has apparently expressed their intent to transfer if Van is not retained.

There has also been some slight speculation on the board that Gardner would being moving on. Was told tonight that this is true if Macon is let go.

The good - Van has no loyalty to CMA so he’d stay if the new coach wants him and nobody tries to poach him for more money.
If it is Pitino, he’s 70 so he may not want to even have a 1 year transition type season so he may want to keep Van if it means keeping some core pieces in the program.

The bad - Other schools in the area will know this and may offer him more money especially if it means they have a good chance of getting Storr and/Gardner and others. Could see a UConn or Rutgers or whoever the new guy is at Georgetown try it.
He was Associate HC and would probably be unwilling to take a ‘demotion’. Could be tough if the new coach isn’t willing to keep him on in that exact role.

Pitino being the HC and retaining Van as his first order of business and we are instantly back in the game.

The man is a proven winner, whatever decisions he makes, I'm good.

I could be wrong, but it's pretty rare for assistants from previous staffs to be retained, right?

There are certainly several players I hope stay, but Pitino probably already has his staff planned and deserves to bring in whoever he wants. Further, his Iona team is 35 spots better than our team in the NET, so if he brought over those players they may be better than who we currently have (at least for some positions).

Whoever wants to stay here and play under a Hall of Fame coach (hopefully), then awesome. Otherwise, having Rick come in is far more important, even if it means players decide to leave.

Pitino probably already has his staff planned and deserves to bring in whoever he wants.
I don't think anyone would tell him who to retain. I think he'd see the value in retaining a guy like Van though.

Very much doubt he's bringing the entire Iona staff wherever he lands, so he has spots to work with.

I'd be 100 percent on board with him making up for past mistakes with assistants by being the one who brings Book back into college ball. The handshake line alone at Xavier would be worth it. 😁

I could be wrong, but it's pretty rare for assistants from previous staffs to be retained, right?

There are certainly several players I hope stay, but Pitino probably already has his staff planned and deserves to bring in whoever he wants. Further, his Iona team is 35 spots better than our team in the NET, so if he brought over those players they may be better than who we currently have (at least for some positions).

Whoever wants to stay here and play under a Hall of Fame coach (hopefully), then awesome. Otherwise, having Rick come in is far more important, even if it means players decide to leave.

Ron Rutledge was retained by Fran after Mahoney was fired.

I don't know if this was Fran's decision or whether it was forced on him.

4 years now and we have barely over .500 record overall and a losing record with no post-season appearances under Mike Anderson. I like Mike Anderson as a person and he fits the type of guy that SJU administration loves. I think the game has passed his style by a bit though, and we’ve never played that lockdown D that we heard about with the exception of causing lots of TO’s for teams.

4 full seasons without any real improvement is enough to part ways. I’m not sure why our admin always seems to extend the contracts of all these coaches prematurely and then seemingly always have to owe coaches tons of payout for years before any performance benchmarks are even reached. I think that SJU needs new people writing up contracts.

I’m not I the Rick Pitino camp as I think he’s just too old and we need to form an identity and hire a young coach who wants to build something.

4 years now and we have barely over .500 record overall and a losing record with no post-season appearances under Mike Anderson. I like Mike Anderson as a person and he fits the type of guy that SJU administration loves. I think the game has passed his style by a bit though, and we’ve never played that lockdown D that we heard about with the exception of causing lots of TO’s for teams.

4 full seasons without any real improvement is enough to part ways. I’m not sure why our admin always seems to extend the contracts of all these coaches prematurely and then seemingly always have to owe coaches tons of payout for years before any performance benchmarks are even reached. I think that SJU needs new people writing up contracts.

I’m not I the Rick Pitino camp as I think he’s just too old and we need to form an identity and hire a young coach who wants to build something.
I'm with you, MCNPA. If we do get Pitino, my hope is we have him for 5 years, he builds a winning program, he then retires and we hire a younger coach that will be with us for 10+ years

I listened to the two Twitter "Spaces" (basically conference call on Twitter) last night and noticed that Gardner's mother was on both of them. Over 2 hrs total listening to a bunch of Twitter gossip, speculation, half truths and possible truths about CMA, Pitino, Gardner, Storr etc.

Even Shamorie Ponds was listening in to one of them.

Both Storr and Gardener along with their families really love and respect Anderson/Macon, so I do believe everything you posted.

I'm with you, MCNPA. If we do get Pitino, my hope is we have him for 5 years, he builds a winning program, he then retires and we hire a younger coach that will be with us for 10+ years
My choices:
1. Pitino
2. John Wooden
3. Captain Crunch
4. Bert and Ernie
5. Sydney Sweeney

Not sure who on list would be most likely?
One is dead.
One is a cereal.
One is a same sex muppet couple.
One is a smoking hot girl.
And one has 0 chance of coaching here.

But we are also projecting that the players and their families would not want to play for a hall of fame coach.

I think many of the players and their families would be more than satisfied with Pitino (and I am pretty certain the projected staff has also been leaked out through back channels).

The way of doing business. In fact, I would be far more surprised if it did not.

I try not to pay too much attention to all the noise right now, especially the stuff about Joel and others leaving if there's a coaching change. Only natural that the kids are emotional as it's clear they never quit on their coach and Joel especially has a close bond with CMA, which is to be applauded. It will be up to the new coach to recruit these kids when things have settled down a week or so from now. Things will hopefully be much clearer 10 days or so from now, meanwhile there's some great college basketball to watch this weekend. I do believe Joel will take his fifth year somewhere, hopefully it's in Queens.

It is hard to discern what the reality is here: I assume it is more likely than not that Coach Anderson will be gone. I do not know if Pitino is in the realm of possibility, given (i) his other probable choices and (ii) the university's (un)willingness to hire him. BUT, the university should make a decision very quickly now that the season is over so that they maximize their ability to get the best possible choices (Pitino or otherwise). I have no doubt that Pitino would be able to be very successful pretty quickly and probably retain most (not all) of the recruits and currently players, but I am still doubtful the university will go there (maybe I am wrong now). Waiting serves no purpose other than to give Georgetown and others schools the upper hand in recruiting their new coaches.

Back