Mike Anderson - Former Coach

But we are also projecting that the players and their families would not want to play for a hall of fame coach.

I think many of the players and their families would be more than satisfied with Pitino (and I am pretty certain the projected staff has also been leaked out through back channels).

The way of doing business. In fact, I would be far more surprised if it did not.
Ok 10% of my thing is trying to pull off reverse jinx. But let’s really look into this. Assuming the school is able to look past the baggage
(Just for the record, I am fine with it personally, let those who have never banged a married chick on a table throw stones) they would have to wait until Iona done for the year. In that time some of if not all of Soriano, Storr, Gardner and Posh may leave. Why would Pitino take a job that has been a career ender with no base to start with?

Ok 10% of my thing is trying to pull off reverse jinx. But let’s really look into this. Assuming the school is able to look past the baggage
(Just for the record, I am fine with it personally, let those who have never banged a married chick on a table throw stones) they would have to wait until Iona done for the year. In that time some of if not all of Soriano, Storr, Gardner and Posh may leave. Why would Pitino take a job that has been a career ender with no base to start with?
Pitino will almost certainly be done playing by a week from tomorrow and players can't even put their name in the portal until Monday. No reason to think they are going to make a decision to jump that quickly, they'll want to weight their options. When we had mass exodus two years ago, no one committed that quickly if I recall correctly.

Pitino will almost certainly be done playing by a week from tomorrow and players can't even put their name in the portal until Monday. No reason to think they are going to make a decision to jump that quickly, they'll want to weight their options. When we had mass exodus two years ago, no one committed that quickly if I recall correctly.
Can’t officially yes but….

The one big positive about Pitino would be the potential influx of money into the program. If he’s here for 5-6 years, does some winning and gets boosters back into the program. Maybe he can even get Repole back in the fold. Those things could pay dividends down the road. There would obviously be instant credibility there.

Even though you put your name in the portal, you can always undo it.

Not ideal for SJU of course. But it is almost like being recruited all over again. It is nice to the player to be showered with compliments.

Oh, please make it higher than 10 percent jinx rate.

Yup, 3 years from now we could be longing for the CMA years when we had a winning record 😂
A winning record? You mean if you include the 11-1 OOC record, perhaps the weakest in league history? Winning record, that’s a laugh.

How about 4 years and no Dance invite? I guess you’re still longing for Norm Roberts.

First fact: SJU has not gotten past the Big East Tournament quarterfinals since the year 2000.

Second fact: Which BTW has to be filed under impossible yet true. In the four Big East Tournament Quarterfinal games under Coach Mike Anderson, SJU outscored their opponents in regulation time play 226 to 224 yet never won a single game.

Only a team that has some kind of a voodoo curse on it could have that happen. Of course the realist in me says there are no voodoo curses and it just took a pandemic and a whole set of other bizarre circumstances to have this come to fruition.

First fact: SJU has not gotten past the Big East Tournament quarterfinals since the year 2000.

Second fact: Which BTW has to be filed under impossible yet true. In the four Big East Tournament Quarterfinal games under Coach Mike Anderson, SJU outscored their opponents in regulation time play 226 to 224 yet never won a single game.

Only a team that has some kind of a voodoo curse on it could have that happen. Of course the realist in me says there are no voodoo curses and it just took a pandemic and a whole set of other bizarre circumstances to have this come to fruition.
Besides this year's loss to MQ, last year's to 'Nova was especially excruciating. I think may fortunes would have been different had Champ hit that open shot last year. While every school/team suffers the same fate, I do think we are especially cursed in big spots.

It is just the product of terrible in-game strategy the last 5 minutes of each game. That is the single biggest stretch where a coach earns his keep. Anderson has failed miserable at it dozens of times over the last 4 years. He is a good man but lets face it he has been thoroughly outcoached in far too many instances when the game is on the line.

So we should settle for Brey whose best years are behind him? Putting aside the differences in styles and the fact one has had a losing record, this would Anderson all over again.
Lets stop going after guys that have either been fired or forced out of jobs at other institutions for underperforming. It never ends well here too (Lavin, Anderson).
And stay away from guys that do not win at lower levels (Roberts, Mahoney) or have no coaching experience (Mullin).

Hire Pitino and give this program more than a fighting chance to get back into the upper tier of the Big East. F this one up and the program is headed 6 feet under.

Even though you put your name in the portal, you can always undo it.

Not ideal for SJU of course. But it is almost like being recruited all over again. It is nice to the player to be showered with compliments.

Oh, please make it higher than 10 percent jinx rate.
Just don’t see it.
Wish I did
Basketball wise would be perfect. Perfect and ST John’s basketball???

If you were a notre dame fan the last 6 years what would you think?
I am a ND fan because my Granddaughter graduated last May . I would think / say that it was a huge mistake for Syracuse , Pitt, ND , Louisville to leave the Big East for the ACC . None of them have fared well since they bolted . Sure , it was a decision made by bean counting School Presidents and the Football people . But , they could have said , “ Bleep you and remained in BE.” ND has the ability in Football, due to its Nationwide fan base and it’s almost lifetime TV contract to do whatever they want . The NCAA doesn’t have big enough balls to tell ND they can’t participate in Bowl games . Plus , ND already dictates to the ACC that it will only play so many ACC games any way , But , back to the topic , Brey’s teams were often contenders in the BE until they left . So was Syracuse and Pitt , Louisville but , the ACC still has the draw for the one and done players plus the State schools have big Tax payer budgets . Brey is a good , solid Coach but , isn’t Pitino . Any hate towards him here is unjustified .

Game ending strategy has always been a problem for Anderson but it is also the makeup of his rosters that results in so many game ending losses. He has either one or none players who could be called capable shooters on his rosters.
At games end teams play tough defense and SJU rarely has anybody capable of making a basket so it’s not unusual for them to go four or five minutes without a field goal.
By dumbing down the OOC schedule Anderson and Cragg come out with a misleading record every year. They continuously lose close games to big east opponents. Without Geo and De Paul the big east record would be even worse than it is which is bad. They cannot win a game vs a good big east opponent if the game is close.

Back