Mike Anderson - Former Coach

If there is a thought by the school's administration that Anderson may not be the right man for the job, you would hope that the powers that be would already have (informally) reached out to prospective candidates to gage interest. However, judging by the last fiasco that Cragg orchestrated which brought us coach Anderson and lost us Mike Repole, my faith in the school as a viable, competitive athletic institution is suspect at best.
Come on, Cragg did not orchestrate the school president and Olivia wanting two different guys, and completely fucking up the process. The only reason we ended up with Anderson was because Repole went nuts on WFAN and embarrassed the shit out of the admin to stay out of coaching searches that they were completely clueless about.

First choice was Bobby Hurley but he played us. People in his own inner circle were unhappy about what he did.

If there is a thought by the school's administration that Anderson may not be the right man for the job, you would hope that the powers that be would already have (informally) reached out to prospective candidates to gage interest. However, judging by the last fiasco that Cragg orchestrated which brought us coach Anderson and lost us Mike Repole, my faith in the school as a viable, competitive athletic institution is suspect at best.
I would think it’s hard for CMA to get the Axe without also giving it to the AD who brought him in. Usually how that works in Big time athletics but again this is SJU we’re talking about. With that said you would hope the “powers that be” could do what’s necessary i.e. cleaning house while simultaneously preparing to fill their replacements.

Usually how that works in Big time athletics but again this is SJU we’re talking about.
That seems like more of a football thing to me.

If Cragg is doing a good job aside from the basketball program that had a botched search mostly due to two other guys, I'd say he stays and gets to prove himself for a school president who actually knows about basketball. Especially if both men are willing (and allowed) to interview any candidate out there. No more mom-and-pop shit. Stakes are too high with NIL in the picture.

That seems like more of a football thing to me.

If Cragg is doing a good job aside from the basketball program that had a botched search mostly due to two other guys, I'd say he stays and gets to prove himself for a school president who actually knows about basketball. Especially if both men are willing (and allowed) to interview any candidate out there. No more mom-and-pop shit. Stakes are too high with NIL in the picture.
Was it not cragg who pushed the mullin firing because he had his eyes in bobby who used us for more money?

Re your football point, not that I disagree, I should have said flagship program. There is one thing thag matters at sju for their AD, being successful in 90% of sports and unsuccessful in Bball, equals being unsuccessful all together. And I don’t think he hasn’t done some good things for the school and program in the big picture. We needed to take a step into the 21st century and he has helped with that.

Was it not cragg who pushed the mullin firing because he had his eyes in bobby who used us for more money?

Re your football point, not that I disagree, I should have said flagship program. There is one thing thag matters at sju for their AD, being successful in 90% of sports and unsuccessful in Bball, equals being unsuccessful all together. And I don’t think he hasn’t done some good things for the school and program all together. We needed to take a step into the 21st century and he has helped with that.
I assume he wanted Mullin out regardless because Mullin and Mitch disappeared all offseason.

On the off chance it was BH or status quo, then that would have been an F-up.

If we do fire both, it needs to be decisive. Between end of Selection Sunday and the games in Dayton, something needs to happen. Not getting an AD in here and giving him or her time to make a solid hire before all the good candidates are taken would be yet another failure.

I assume he wanted Mullin out regardless because Mullin and Mitch disappeared all offseason.

On the off chance it was BH or status quo, then that would have been an F-up.

If we do fire both, it needs to be decisive. Between end of Selection Sunday and the games in Dayton, something needs to happen. Not getting an AD in here and giving him or her time to make a solid hire before all the good candidates are taken would be yet another failure.
Also might be hard to get the AD you want, after hiring a coach before him that he didn’t choose. But I suppose if it’s a great coaching hire, that shouldn’t matter.

Mike Boynton would be a “maybe hire”…. maybe he could be successful, mayber he would fail. He has thus far not achieved sustained success.

Boynton has a less than mediocre losing Big 12 Conference record of just 39–51 during his 5 seasons at Oklahoma State.

Stated another way Boynton has won just 43% of his conference games.

St John’s can do better than someone who cannot win at least half of his conference games.

Mack is not the answer. He's an Ohio guy with a good run. Boynton doesn't excite me either.

Pitino or bust...
Boynton might be able to energize local recruiting.

Off the top of my head, I can think of three available top names with baggage that would possibly/definitely come. Mack is on that list.

If a change needs to be made, the school needs to be willing to forgive some sins. A Catholic school should be able to do that, but we simply haven't been able to.

Boynton’s teams have had a negative Assist:TO ratio 4 years in a row with 213 more TO’s than assists during that time. Currently 8-4 coming off a 15-15 record. One year over .500 in B12. Not the coach id be rushing to hire.

If he wasn’t from NYC I don’t think he would even be a name that is considered, and I hate the idea of pigeon holing our search to fit that criteria.

St. John's has screwed around with a string of "maybe hires " for its head men's basketball and none of the maybe hires have succeeded.

It is time St. John's hires someone who has achieved a record of success.

Please Father Shanley give Rick Pitino a call and determine whether there is a middle ground.

Pitino's phone number is (914) 633-2304.

If anyone reading this wants to respond with particularity about what past conduct by Mr. Pitino, they believe disqualifies him from employment with St. John's and I will welcome the discussion.
Posting his 'phone number' is a bit over the top, no?

Just got off the phone with Rick. Thanks for posting that.

He said St. John's has always been his dream job ever since Reggie Carter gave him the finger at Hawaii and transferred home.

He said he was disappointed the school didn't call him when Louie retired even though he was building a national championship team at UK.

He said he's already reserved a booth at Dante's the minute he's hired, is checking out modest homes in Jamaica Estates and will hire Carmine Calzonnetti as an assistant coach.

He said he's earned enough over his career and thus will donate half his salary to an SJU NIL and the other half to a fund to build a new on campus arena.

He will bring back Flag Boy.

Nobody wants this job...How many coaches are we going to go through? I mean we thought Mahoney was bad. Not the best track record

Either we have had Zero correct decisions in 30 years or we are the problem

CoachTenureRecordConf. TitlesNCAA Apps.Nat. Champ
Mike Anderson2019-Pres50-41000
Chris Mullin2015-1959-73010
Steve Lavin2010-1592-72020
Norm Roberts2004-1081-101000
Kevin Clark (int.) **20042-17000
Mike Jarvis **1998-200466-60020
Fran Fraschilla1996-9835-24010
Brian Mahoney1992-9656-58010

Just got off the phone with Rick. Thanks for posting that.

He said St. John's has always been his dream job ever since Reggie Carter gave him the finger at Hawaii and transferred home.

He said he was disappointed the school didn't call him when Louie retired even though he was building a national championship team at UK.

He said he's already reserved a booth at Dante's the minute he's hired, is checking out modest homes in Jamaica Estates and will hire Carmine Calzonnetti as an assistant coach.

He said he's earned enough over his career and thus will donate half his salary to an SJU NIL and the other half to a fund to build a new on campus arena.

He will bring back Flag Boy.
Posted a little early....92 days to April 1st

hey Moose, apparently it will surprise you but Pitino’s phone number on Iona’s website.
It doesn't surprise me. It's a dummy office line, not a cell phone.
But I'm willing to bet a lot of money he will never answer it. And likely nobody ever will. And some poor low level employee/GA is responsible for cleaning up the inbox.

I don't read the site much anymore but I think this is the 3rd time you've posted it. Seems over the top and fruitless to me.

Why not post Mike Anderson's number (which is on the SJU site) so fans can leave him voicemails saying how bad of a coach he is?

Mack is a Class A you know what and I would not support a team coached by him.
Would you support a team coached by pitino?

Plus half jokingly here, are you supporting the team now? Don’t mean from a monetary standpoint. From your own admission you seem to be over sju hoops as is.

Back