Mike Anderson - Former Coach

Would you support a team coached by pitino?

Plus half jokingly here, are you supporting the team now? Don’t mean from a monetary standpoint. From your own admission you seem to be over sju hoops as is.
As for Mack it has many layers. His team was a dirty bunch. He whines way too much. And the way he did his mentor Dino Gaudio dirty I find embarrassing.

Yes I would support a Pitino coached team. That would inject life into a lifeless program that has been a carcass since Lavin left.

As of now between mediocre play, NIL ruining college hoops and that thing called life I am not following the team the same way I used to.

As for Mack it has many layers. His team was a dirty bunch. He whines way too much. And the way he did his mentor Dino Gaudio dirty I find embarrassing.

Yes I would support a Pitino coached team. That would inject life into a lifeless program that has been a carcass since Lavin left.

As of now between mediocre play, NIL ruining college hoops and that thing called life I am not following the team the same way I used to.
Fair but fwiw that gaudio stuff looked just as bad for Guadio and it was BS both ways. Obviously Mack new it was coming which is why he recorded it. As for whining I don’t think he does so any more than most real good coaches. Pitino certainly included. I would be happy with either personally.

Fair but fwiw that gaudio stuff looked just as bad for Guadio and it was BS both ways. Obviously Mack new it was coming which is why he recorded it. As for whining I don’t think he does so any more than most real good coaches. Pitino certainly included. I would be happy with either personally.
No question Gaudio wasn't an alter boy either. But Gaudio catapulted Mack's career. In my career I respect those who helped me get to where I am. I wouldn't back stab them. Coaches complain all the time. Well most coaches do but SJU coaches seem to never. But Mack seemed to whine and cry. There is a methodical way to make your complaints. Pitino is a master of that.

I'd be good with any coach. To me after 4 years if you're not seeing significant improvement its time to make a change. I said that going as far back as Norm. 4 years is the point. And that was in a less volatile game where team turnover happens yearly now.

Pitino along w Masiello as his #1 would be a home run for me (contingent on Masiello not getting the Iona job)

Plus many forgot how he acted towards St John's after the Big East tournament game in the Mullin years. Spoke alot about his character

Please overlook the inherent redundancy of this post to others and chalk it up to frustration I have to express.

I'm sad to see our ongoing debates that focus on our players varying contributions for team failure. Whether to start one guard or another at point; or attribute defeat to the flaws in one or another player's skills, speed, shape, or mental attitudes may all be normally legitimate insights and opinions. However, after watching the FOX no-commercial focus on coaching staff interactions with the players, both during on-court timeouts and at half-time, I don't think there can be any doubt that the overwhelming culpability for our disparate play, lack of poise and undisciplined offense lies at the feet of the coaching staff.

I don't understand why Coach Anderson allowed himself to be part of that exercise in transparency. Apparently, he must have no problem with his coaching "style" being displayed on a national tv telecast. IF you don't know you have a problem, you aren't going to remedy it.

Even at a timeout near the end of game when we were making our run, the contrast in the huddles was embarrassing. Xavier players sat with eye to eye contact with a coach who firmly reset for them the general situation, stated clearly what had to be done to prevail on the next offense and defensive plays, checked with certain players to make sure "they got it", and ended stating what to do if the on court situation was at variance from expectation.
The St John's "huddle" lacked all the above. Players sat or stood; looking around the stands - the court- whatever, but were not "together" in any sense. I think Soriano was talking to an Asst Coach. Anderson was mumbling to himself about something but couldn't be heard on the mike nor over the crowd. Everyone else was "in their own world". There was no discussion about how many time outs we had, what exact strategy or play we would display. As the team started individually to walk on the court, Anderson kept calling at Ponds for his attention. Ponds, one hopes, just didn't hear him until Anderson finally ran out near him and gave him a one sentence direction. I go through that because it was just one of literally a dozen times that the contrast in discipline, attentiveness, organization, preparation, and individual as well as group responsibility was attended to in the Xavier huddle, in contrast to the general " go-get-em, be emotional, try hard" rah rah, fan-like utterances that sufficed for 'coaching".

I don't know what these players are capable of under a different leader. I think most of them would perform better with a modicum of structure; some discipline overall in approach, with accountability to each other and the coaching staff. Until that happens, let's not blame them for failing to be what they are capable of being.

A couple of games ago, I was derided here for calling what we were doing "street ball". In reply now: yes, I played a lot of street ball; but I never had the ability to play for a professional coach. I know much less about detail play structure than others here. But all through life, I knew how to bring out the best in others... at work or at play..in terms of individual personal growth with best potential group outcomes. From the early 60s, I have been an ardent SJU basketball fan. Now, like so many fans, I want a coaching staff that knows how to do that...and I don't want to watch it happen on tv just in the opponent's huddles.

On May 13, 2021, a press release announced that Head Coach Mike Anderson of St. John's Men's Basketball received a six-year contract extension into the 2026-27 season. The financial terms of Anderson's contract extension were not disclosed.

Is there actually any indication that Pitino would seriously consider taking the job if it was available after this season? I'd imagine he'd have some other options as well. By the way, let's also not forget that Pitino is 70 and will be 71 before the start of next season.

Take Anderson out of the equation... after 20 years... regardless of Coach, it seems as though only a veteran laden team was capable of having a successful season in my eyes (make the Tourney). Norm's seniors under Lavin / DLo as a senior / Ponds Jr yr....

It's a depressing question, but do you think there is a Coach out there capable of consistent success here? Or is it there something wrong with the Program itself?
If Rick couldn't then just shoot me dead, to me he's a sure thing.
To me anyone else is just praying and hoping, we done that with Lavin, then Mullin, and now Anderson.
No more hoping that the next coach is the right one, it's Rick or nothing. In my mind anyway.

Just got off the phone with Rick. Thanks for posting that.

He said St. John's has always been his dream job ever since Reggie Carter gave him the finger at Hawaii and transferred home.

He said he was disappointed the school didn't call him when Louie retired even though he was building a national championship team at UK.

He said he's already reserved a booth at Dante's the minute he's hired, is checking out modest homes in Jamaica Estates and will hire Carmine Calzonnetti as an assistant coach.

He said he's earned enough over his career and thus will donate half his salary to an SJU NIL and the other half to a fund to build a new on campus arena.

He will bring back Flag Boy.
And then you woke up? 😂👍

On May 13, 2021, a press release announced that Head Coach Mike Anderson of St. John's Men's Basketball received a six-year contract extension into the 2026-27 season. The financial terms of Anderson's contract extension were not disclosed.
If that is truly the case, what kind of an idiot is Cragg? He gives that long an extension to a man who had not yet been invited to post season play? And there are posters here who are worried about losing Cragg? Come on now, Cragg’s top priority as AD is to see to it that the school maintains a competitive basketball program where he to date, has failed miserably.

Hopefully the school had the foresight to include an opt out enabling the school to terminate the contract before 6 years.

I don’t think that that was Cragg’s initiative. At least with MC you can see some positives in the running of the non-coaching related stuff.

Personally, aside from being from NYC, I think Boyton is Mike Anderson’ish. Not that I think he couldn’t succeed here but to fire CMA and turn in that direction would disappoint me a little. Look at his teams shooting % this year and you’d think our games may be prettier. Im sure he could recruit here but personally don’t think getting talent has been the biggest problem for us. Let’s get a coach 1a and a recruiter 1b next time IMO. As great of a recruiter Pitino is, he’s an even better coach. We can dream right.
Even more importantly, Pitino would be a major fundraiser

Oh my that’s what I thought it was extended
4 more years. How do you extend that far?
School got played by CMA and his shark agent. Not the first time and won't be the last. There's a reason why the school is always in such dire financial straights, here's just one big example. Oh and as for the criticism being heaped upon CMA, as long as it's not personal it's fair game IMO. That's what happens when you demand an extension and raise without actually accomplishing something, then you proceed to continue to accomplish nothing.

Back