Mike Anderson - Former Coach

The extension is not the issue no matter how many years.

As long as the buyout is reasonable.

I am just not convinced unless this year is a complete disaster SJU will make a move.

And now unlike almost 4 years ago Pitino has more leverage in any situation since he has been essentially cleared by NCAA and carries no penalty with him.

It is why SJU should have rolled the dice in April of 2019 and made the call.

I am reminded of what Israeli Diplomat Abba Eban famously said about the Palestinians, "they never miss an opportunity at missing an opportunity..." Substitute SJU in that quote for Palestinians.

Here is Zagsblog from April 2019 and Pitino openly saying he would bring SJU back to the Looie days...

“I would bring St. John’s to the Elite level not seen since Louie [Carnesecca] roamed the sidelines,” Pitino said Tuesday by text from Greece where he’s coaching.

Tea leaves say Father Shanley will be prime decision maker in any head coaching search.

If Pitino splash hire is not in cards as I hope, keep an eye on Mike Boynton. I suggest fans also look at the ISU experience going from door mat with handful of wins to sweet 16 team in year one and very competent in year two after hiring TJ Otzelberger. TJ was not a national name, but is a skilled recruiter, transfer broker and solid on sidelines. Perhaps a local guy like Boynton would be a similar level candidate and worth considering if he wants to come home and tackle this mess.
Didn’t think about Boynton, but I agree with you 100% Paultz. Still a young guy, he’s had success at this level, he’s proven. He can recruit, he’s a local guy , I like it.

The extension is not the issue no matter how many years.

As long as the buyout is reasonable.

I am just not convinced unless this year is a complete disaster SJU will make a move.

And now unlike almost 4 years ago Pitino has more leverage in any situation since he has been essentially cleared by NCAA and carries no penalty with him.

It is why SJU should have rolled the dice in April of 2019 and made the call.

I am reminded of what Israeli Diplomat Abba Eban famously said about the Palestinians, "they never miss an opportunity at missing an opportunity..." Substitute SJU in that quote for Palestinians.

Here is Zagsblog from April 2019 and Pitino openly saying he would bring SJU back to the Looie days...

“I would bring St. John’s to the Elite level not seen since Louie [Carnesecca] roamed the sidelines,” Pitino said Tuesday by text from Greece where he’s coaching.
"I am just not convinced unless this year is a complete disaster SJU will make a move."

Yeah, then the fans and alumni should cancel their season tickets and stop going to games, if the admin doesn't care then why should they?
I know watching this isn't enjoyable, well hey the fans have the real say in the matter, stop going to games and hurt SJU in the pocket.
I know that probably wont happen, js'ing the fans really have the final say if they wanted to.

We are talking about a multi-million dollar industry. A good coaching hire will pay for itself countless times over. The school needs to figure out how to open up the bank for the next hire. No more cheaping out. Identify a few top notch coaches, and make them an offer they can't refuse.

We are talking about a multi-million dollar industry. A good coaching hire will pay for itself countless times over. The school needs to figure out how to open up the bank for the next hire. No more cheaping out. Identify a few top notch coaches, and make them an offer they can't refuse.
Exactly, identify them, then when you're done, call one, the next right after, if a top coach answers and he's interested, then bring him in for an interview. If no one answers then call the next, and the next, and see who calls back.

On May 13, 2021, a press release announced that Head Coach Mike Anderson of St. John's Men's Basketball received a six-year contract extension into the 2026-27 season. The financial terms of Anderson's contract extension were not disclosed.

That's a rough commitment for us and, like others, I can only hope there is an affordable buyout clause. Personally, I need to own the fact that I was all for this extension when it was announced and even applauded Cragg for making it happen. I am a fan of the way CMA carries himself but, in the coaching department, last night was a game changer.

I wonder if CMA would step down or, more likely, offer to negotiate out if we miss the tournament.

Last edited:
Exactly, identify them, then when you're done, call one, the next right after, if a top coach answers and he's interested, then bring him in for an interview. If no one answers then call the next, and the next, and see who calls back.
That would be a very big phone bill 😂

All true but seems those with control or direct and indirect influence want to continue to operate under the cover that the mission is only education, and education is not a business so shouldn't and can't be run like one. College Basketball in 2023 is business. Nothing more, nothing less. A business needs to draw attention. More fans would be gained in long run than the few long timers that might fakely point noises up in air and take their ball and go home.

I'll take 2 days of some bad media w/ Pitino followed by a buzz in NY bigger than Mullin's coronation..

Pretty sure Pitino would not refer to us as " St. James University" at the initial hiring press conference like Anderson did. And he might be more likely to have connections with high school janitors to get into gyms than Mullin.

If somehow Pitino could be hired the Anderson buy out would be offset by increased ticket revenue ( the cup cake OOC schedule would be replaced by better teams and a game or two at MSG ) and the fundraising would would take a substantial jump.

Last edited:
I got 2 guys for you:

1- Drew Valentine from Loyola Chicago
2- Darian DeVries from Drake

Both relatively young and doing great things at smaller programs.

I got 2 guys for you:

Those are hopes and prays, we done those and how did they turn out, makes makes you think any up and comers would be any different?

I really hope that MA gets us to the tournament but that's very doubtful.
Lets look at the 3 tests so far:

@ISU - Scored 5pnts in the first 12 minutes, and really never recovered from that point.
@ Nova - The first 15 minutes they looked really good being up 11, then it changed and at one point in the 2nd half were down 17, that's a 28 point swing.
Vs. Xavier - SJU went down 18points before waking up.

They might beat a SHU team that isn't that good, but if we do turn it around it won't happen over night. Maybe by late January they could start turning it around? It could be to late by then because of the poor ooc sos.

@ SHU W 2-2
Vs. Marq L 2-3
@ Prov L 2-4
Vs. Butler W 3-4
@ UConn L 3-5
Vs. Nova L 3-6
@ Creigton L 3-7

Many said after the ISU loss that we'll need 12 conf Ws
If we start 3-7, does anyone think we'll finish 9-1?

I give us about a 5% chance of making it, but gotta absolutely beat SHU on Saturday or the season is a wrap.

Last edited:
I got 2 guys for you:

Valentine had a nice year last year with a veteran group he inherited. He’s 6-6 in year 2 and vastly underachieving preseason expectations. I guess in that sense he’d fit right in

Valentine had a nice year last year with a veteran group he inherited. He’s 6-6 in year 2 and vastly underachieving preseason expectations. I guess in that sense he’d fit right in
Oh but he’s just so young and cool! Another coach fans just couldn’t wait to crown.

This situation is a really hard one since Mike Anderson is a very high integrity guy, well liked and a great role model for young men.

On the other hand, big time college basketball has changed, and if the school wants to have a competitive program, it just can't continue to go along as it has for almost 30 years now, and with the dysfunction we have seen now firsthand in the all access situation this week. I have never thought the school should or would hire Pitino. I still maintain that that would be a very difficult thing for the school to do.

But, in this day and age of NIL et al, the fiction of the "student athlete" and amateur college sports dictates that a program be run differently than it was 30 years ago; the paradigm has shifted and unless the school is satisfied with a middling (at best) product, then things will have to change.

It is a shame that a good man like Anderson is struggling to cobble together a winning formula, but that is the fact and he and StJ seems ill equipped to compete.

I will always root for the school and the young men who play for us, and I will root for Anderson since he is a good guy. But, I think that the extension will largely hamstring our maneuverability for the next few years, unfortunately, and that will continue to hamper our ability to build back a little to what some of us experienced decades ago and hope for again in our lifetimes.

All access since Louie possibilities:
Mahoney-players having fist fight on bench as Mahoney looks to Louie in stands for help.

Fran-actually says relevant coach stuff and all looks good till he starts screaming and whips it out. We are immediately banned from TV

Jarvis- says stuff in Boston accent that no one understands beside weave. Pays kids after made baskets or in Keita’s case for no apparent reason. Immediately put on probation.

Clark- shows Ingram how to properly use camera on phone.

Norm-says how great the other team is as looks out at court confused like Junior Soprano during final season.

Lavin-gives everyone corny nicknames and says goofy things like “hammer to rock “ as he makes sure Keady is just napping.

Mullin- falls asleep thinking this would have been a lot easier if he was coaching himself, Berry, Wennington and Jackson. St Jean tries to speak over Mullin snoring.

Now was any of that better or worse than:
“Fghishzxz, Joel, Joel, Joel, fvbidhhsh, fghjkish, Posh, Posh, gghkish,ghusrgh, fight.”

Back