Mike Anderson - Former Coach

I obviously have no idea what Fr. Stanley thinks about hiring Pitino.

He may have the angel on one shoulder advising against Pitino because of his prior indiscretions, and the devil on the other saying to do it because it will create a buzz around this program we haven’t seen in a generation.

If that is the case, then we can all pray a novena and do Vincentian charity while hoping that the devil has his day.

Tea leaves say Father Shanley will be prime decision maker in any head coaching search.

If Pitino splash hire is not in cards as I hope, keep an eye on Mike Boynton. I suggest fans also look at the ISU experience going from door mat with handful of wins to sweet 16 team in year one and very competent in year two after hiring TJ Otzelberger. TJ was not a national name, but is a skilled recruiter, transfer broker and solid on sidelines. Perhaps a local guy like Boynton would be a similar level candidate and worth considering if he wants to come home and tackle this mess.
Personally, aside from being from NYC, I think Boyton is Mike Anderson’ish. Not that I think he couldn’t succeed here but to fire CMA and turn in that direction would disappoint me a little. Look at his teams shooting % this year and you’d think our games may be prettier. Im sure he could recruit here but personally don’t think getting talent has been the biggest problem for us. Let’s get a coach 1a and a recruiter 1b next time IMO. As great of a recruiter Pitino is, he’s an even better coach. We can dream right.

Starting slow and never recovering to punch a dance ticket is evident in this regime. I had hoped extra summer practices allowed in conjunction with DR trip would have helped prepare them, but naive me. A pathetically deficient ooc schedule did little to prepare the team either obviously.

Personally, aside from being from NYC, I think Boyton is Mike Anderson’ish. Not that I think he couldn’t succeed here but to fire CMA and turn in that direction would disappoint me a little. Look at his teams shooting % this year and you’d think our games may be prettier. Im sure he could recruit here but personally don’t think getting talent has been the biggest problem for us. Let’s get a coach 1a and a recruiter 1b next time IMO. As great of a recruiter Pitino is, he’s an even better coach. We can dream right.
Fair point on your “coach” being 1a priority Mase. Smart sideline work is so essential and I subscribe to notion that quality coaches can “steal games”. It has been quite a while since seeing that here.

St. John's has screwed around with a string of "maybe hires " for its head men's basketball and none of the maybe hires have succeeded.

It is time St. John's hires someone who has achieved a record of success.

Please Father Shanley give Rick Pitino a call and determine whether there is a middle ground.

Pitino's phone number is (914) 633-2304.

If anyone reading this wants to respond with particularity about what past conduct by Mr. Pitino, they believe disqualifies him from employment with St. John's and I will welcome the discussion.

St. John's has screwed around with a string of "maybe hires " for its head men's basketball and none of the maybe hires have succeeded.

It is time St. John's hires someone who has achieved a record of success.

Please Father Shanley give Rick Pitino a call and determine whether there is a middle ground.

Pitino's phone number is (914) 633-2304.

If anyone reading this wants to respond with particularity about what past conduct by Mr. Pitino, they believe disqualifies him from employment with St. John's and I will welcome the discussion.
I just called and left message. Said I was guy who talked to you in the John 20 years ago. Please come to St John’s
Call me back

Sucks that we're having a next coach discussion before Jan 1 after there being some reason for optimism this summer but here we are.

With the exception of DePaul, the Big East schools have made it clear they will go attract the big fish coaches needed to compete at the national level. Sean Miller, Shaka Smart, Thad Matta all amazing hires. Have to think Georgetown will swing for the fences when they part ways with Ewing. Our next hire must be a no doubter.

It has to be Pitino. There is absolutely no doubt that if Pitino stays healthy and can give us 6-8 years here he will win BIG. If he wants the job and it's not offered to him, then there really is no point in caring about this program going forward from a fan perspective. The stars are aligned for a top 5 coach to be available and attainable for us, something that will never ever happen again. At this point, the initial PR hit would be minimal and smooth itself over in a matter of days, if not hours. Nobody will care about his past transgressions (which weren't even THAT bad all things considered) when he's coaching a ranked SJU team against a ranked UConn or Nova team at a rocking MSG.

If for whatever reason Pitino is uninterested, I'd generally be all for the hot up and coming coach on the east coast but there really is nobody that fits that bill that is ready for the Big East.

Mike Boynton could work, also could fail and would be tough to lure him away from a Big 12 school unless they wouldn't be sad to see him go.

Chris Mack would be interesting. Failed at Louisville but damn did he have a strong run at Xavier.

I mentioned in another thread, but it's imperative that the school gets Repole seriously back into the fold. He loves the school and has a bottomless checkbook. He could single-handedly cure any NIL problems and make this program relevant again. I don't pretend to know what the deal is with him behind the scenes but it would be a dereliction of duty for Cragg and the school administration to not court him and get him involved again.

Sucks that we're having a next coach discussion before Jan 1 after there being some reason for optimism this summer but here we are.

With the exception of DePaul, the Big East schools have made it clear they will go attract the big fish coaches needed to compete at the national level. Sean Miller, Shaka Smart, Thad Matta all amazing hires. Have to think Georgetown will swing for the fences when they part ways with Ewing. Our next hire must be a no doubter.

It has to be Pitino. There is absolutely no doubt that if Pitino stays healthy and can give us 6-8 years here he will win BIG. If he wants the job and it's not offered to him, then there really is no point in caring about this program going forward from a fan perspective. The stars are aligned for a top 5 coach to be available and attainable for us, something that will never ever happen again. At this point, the initial PR hit would be minimal and smooth itself over in a matter of days, if not hours. Nobody will care about his past transgressions (which weren't even THAT bad all things considered) when he's coaching a ranked SJU team against a ranked UConn or Nova team at a rocking MSG.

If for whatever reason Pitino is uninterested, I'd generally be all for the hot up and coming coach on the east coast but there really is nobody that fits that bill that is ready for the Big East.

Mike Boynton could work, also could fail and would be tough to lure him away from a Big 12 school unless they wouldn't be sad to see him go.

Chris Mack would be interesting. Failed at Louisville but damn did he have a strong run at Xavier.

I mentioned in another thread, but it's imperative that the school gets Repole seriously back into the fold. He loves the school and has a bottomless checkbook. He could single-handedly cure any NIL problems and make this program relevant again. I don't pretend to know what the deal is with him behind the scenes but it would be a dereliction of duty for Cragg and the school administration to not court him and get him involved again.
I’m with you that having this conversation right now sucks. With that said, I still believe chris Mack is a top notch coach, and if given the choice between him and Boynton, I think he would be a no brainer.

I’m with you that having this conversation right now sucks. With that said, I still believe chris Mack is a top notch coach, and if given the choice between him and Boynton, I think he would be a no brainer.
Mack would definitely be a high ceiling guy that would at least show that the school is serious about making the basketball program relevant again.

I’ll admit that right now it appears it is dump on Anderson time of which I am among the group. But in the four years has anybody witnessed an out of bounds play, fouling an opponent purposely or any type of strategy?
He sounded like a CYO coach pressured to coach his 12 year old sons team telling the team to hit the boards hard, get those loose balls etc. As I expected he wasn’t impressive.

Take Anderson out of the equation... after 20 years... regardless of Coach, it seems as though only a veteran laden team was capable of having a successful season in my eyes (make the Tourney). Norm's seniors under Lavin / DLo as a senior / Ponds Jr yr....

It's a depressing question, but do you think there is a Coach out there capable of consistent success here? Or is it there something wrong with the Program itself?

The all access was a real eye opener. Miller had his players attention, had specific points and didn't waste time. His half time talk was strategy oriented.
Our huddle can best be described as the Mike Anderson Cliche Festival. There were very few concrete points. Towards the end some players were not even paying attention to what he was saying.
We have to turn this around fast or we're headed for another 4 year plan. Kinda like the 5 year plans the Chinese had under Mao, they didn't work either.

Take Anderson out of the equation... after 20 years... regardless of Coach, it seems as though only a veteran laden team was capable of having a successful season in my eyes (make the Tourney). Norm's seniors under Lavin / DLo as a senior / Ponds Jr yr....

It's a depressing question, but do you think there is a Coach out there capable of consistent success here? Or is it there something wrong with the Program itself?
There definitely is. Dan Hurley would have been the coach here had Mullin not wanted the job. Imagine where this program would be now had it been Hurley instead.

All we need is one good coaching hire. Even "bad" coaches were able to get to the brink of success here. Mullin made it to the tourney (albeit the play-in game). This CMA team has talent and was a projected fringe tournament team up until about a week ago. We're on the cusp.

All it takes is one good hire to catapult us to the next level. Much easier said than done, of course.

There have been recently but the timing was just bad. It was obvious that Nate Oats had that special something, but we would have needed to get in a year earlier. It's been mentioned that Danny Hurley would have taken the job.

As for the future, guys recently mentioned in this thread would be able to right the ship, one in a huge way.

Mack would definitely be a high ceiling guy that would at least show that the school is serious about making the basketball program relevant again.
You could probably get away with not having to pay him $3+ million for the first 2-3 years too. Hopefully school would be proactive on the restructuring, though.

If there is a thought by the school's administration that Anderson may not be the right man for the job, you would hope that the powers that be would already have (informally) reached out to prospective candidates to gage interest. However, judging by the last fiasco that Cragg orchestrated which brought us coach Anderson and lost us Mike Repole, my faith in the school as a viable, competitive athletic institution is suspect at best.

Back