Mike Anderson - Former Coach

If SJU loses to Xavier Cragg should approach the SJU board and tell them that if he can’t offer the job to Pitino who may have better offers at year end he is leaving. Bringing in another of the Mahoney to Anderson coaches will result in three or four more years of futility and could result in Cragg getting canned.
Even if the board would retain him why would he want to be associated with this.

I gotta say I am shocked that I am hearing about dumping the coach after a loss. Especially here.

The solution is quite simple. SJU is not a Big East caliber school.

America East at best. I have been banned from saying the closer conference.

I gotta say I am shocked that I am hearing about dumping the coach after a loss. Especially here.

The solution is quite simple. SJU is not a Big East caliber school.

America East at best. I have been banned from saying the closer conference.
I'm good with what Dinkins says: " If no NCAA this year then I'm good with Mike leaving (I won't even add the part about winning a few in the NCAA, just get us there.)

It's like every coach since Lavin has done worse.
Laven - Got us to the NCAA tourny twice and his teams were ranked a few times. Damn if he didn't get lazy recruiting and continued success he might still be here, or was it no matter what Chris was still coming?
Mullin - Got us to the NCAA tourny in his last year and his teams were ranked a few time.
Anderson - In year 4 SJU doesn't look like a NCAA team, against the two toughest teams this year they got smacked down. 5 pnts in the first 12 minutes and really never threatened Iowa St. after that. From up 11 to down 17 vs. Villanova at one point, last nights game was a total disgrace, and Anderson calls this his best talented team at SJU? That's really bad then. SJU has never been ranked under Anderson. Maybe if he can't coach anymore then he should retire, but he got 2 years to go to collect his $$$ so retiring isn't going to happen. He'll be here atleast next year.

When Mike leaves I'd be good with Pitino, what's to lose? Ohhh but Rick's past. I say so what, lifes a gamble, sometimes you gamble if you want to succeed. Always want to go the safe bet? Then these results will continue, but that's all up to SJU.

If SJU loses to Xavier Cragg should approach the SJU board and tell them that if he can’t offer the job to Pitino who may have better offers at year end he is leaving. Bringing in another of the Mahoney to Anderson coaches will result in three or four more years of futility and could result in Cragg getting canned.
Even if the board would retain him why would he want to be associated with this.
What everyone seems to forget is why we are in the position we are in here. to begin with and it starts with Mike Cragg. His coach search was an abomination as took the recommendation of his Duke buddies to hire Anderson who had just been fired from Arkansas. And by the way, how has Arkansas fared since Iron Mike came here? To compound his ineptitude, Cragg then gives Anderson, who has not had a tourney invite to date, an extension? And that was based on? Mr. Cragg's most important task for the St. John's athletic department is to return the basketball program to a competitive, successful, Dance invite program. Having free giveaways at games and fun times for all means nothing if your team isn't winning. Personally, I think he sold the school a bill of goods and was not as qualified for the position as he made himself out to be, regardless of how many brands of beer are sold at CA.

Mike Anderson seems like a. good guy, a class act good family man and genuinely cares about is players. And while it's still early in the season, if he cant bring the program level of success which at minimum should be a top 1/3 to 1/2 finish in the conference it will be time to move on and see who can.

I'm good with what Dinkins says: " If no NCAA this year then I'm good with Mike leaving (I won't even add the part about winning a few in the NCAA, just get us there.)

It's like every coach since Lavin has done worse.
Laven - Got us to the NCAA tourny twice and his teams were ranked a few times. Damn if he didn't get lazy recruiting and continued success he might still be here, or was it no matter what Chris was still coming?
Mullin - Got us to the NCAA tourny in his last year and his teams were ranked a few time.
Anderson - In year 4 SJU doesn't look like a NCAA team, against the two toughest teams this year they got smacked down. 5 pnts in the first 12 minutes and really never threatened Iowa St. after that. From up 11 to down 17 vs. Villanova at one point, last nights game was a total disgrace, and Anderson calls this his best talented team at SJU? That's really bad then. SJU has never been ranked under Anderson. Maybe if he can't coach anymore then he should retire, but he got 2 years to go to collect his $$$ so retiring isn't going to happen. He'll be here atleast next year.

When Mike leaves I'd be good with Pitino, what's to lose? Ohhh but Rick's past. I say so what, lifes a gamble, sometimes you gamble if you want to succeed. Always want to go the safe bet? Then these results will continue, but that's all up to SJU.
Houston Cougars' basketball was all but forgotten, and they actually started crumbling during the last two years of Guy Lewis. Their only "success" came with a handful of NCAA Tournament appearances with Pat Foster (three appearances) and Tom Penders (one appearance), respectively (neither coach ever advanced past the 1st round in the NCAAs at Houston), while the rest of Lewis' successors stunk like two week old collards.

Then came Kelvin Sampson and his questionable past and the rest is history. If we have to soon go back down the road of bringing in a new coach, then I'm not at all against bringing in Pitino.

Hopefully, the ship starts sailing in the right direction the remainder of the season and we're not having this conversation in March.

Gee, since the Trustees and Administration were willing to turn a blind eye on the conduct of its longtime President then perhaps they would have no problem with Coach Pitino.

Selective foregiveness. The church is notorious for that.

The older I get, the more my memory escapes me, but it seems to me that over his 4 seasons here, CMA has spent the full season experimenting with different line ups and roles. I just don't get that. Line ups and roles should be set, more or less, by the time conference play starts. Right now we have 2 givens in this line-up: Soriano and Jones. Everyone else is a question mark, even Posh. Yes he's going to play, but he's part of a back court which so far has been ineffective. His role is supposedly that of a 2G, but he's nowhere close to a 2G. So something has to give with him and/or Curbelo. That's just one example of the uncertainly concerning the lineup and the players roles. This is a veteran(and somewhat talented) team with a veteran coach. No excuse for still trying to figure this stuff out this far in to the season.

The older I get, the more my memory escapes me, but it seems to me that over his 4 seasons here, CMA has spent the full season experimenting with different line ups and roles. I just don't get that. Line ups and roles should be set, more or less, by the time conference play starts. Right now we have 2 givens in this line-up: Soriano and Jones. Everyone else is a question mark, even Posh. Yes he's going to play, but he's part of a back court which so far has been ineffective. His role is supposedly that of a 2G, but he's nowhere close to a 2G. So something has to give with him and/or Curbelo. That's just one example of the uncertainly concerning the lineup and the players roles. This is a veteran(and somewhat talented) team with a veteran coach. No excuse for still trying to figure this stuff out this far in to the season.
I’d like Posh at the point and Curbelo at the 2.

I’d like Posh at the point and Curbelo at the 2.
Ironically Posh had no problem playing off of Dunn, but so far has not been able to mesh with Curbelo. Still not sure that the two of them can co-exist on the court for more than a few minutes a game, but certainly open to seeing what happens with what you suggest. Merry Christmas buddy.

Ironically Posh had no problem playing off of Dunn, but so far has not been able to mesh with Curbelo. Still not sure that the two of them can co-exist on the court for more than a few minutes a game, but certainly open to seeing what happens with what you suggest. Merry Christmas buddy.
Post and Curbelo have been playing since the summer 5-6 months. Most of us have watched them all. It is not working period.

Anderson needs to shake things up. There is only one goal - to make the tournament

One difference might be that Dunn, while also a point guard, was bigger than posh. He may have got the attention of other teams 2’s and bigger defenders. This year posh is getting those bigger defenders while the opposing PG is guarding Curbelo. That could play a role in his inability to hit shots we’ve seen him make in the past.

Thanks. Merry Christmas to you, too.
How is the weather in Long Beach?

One difference might be that Dunn, while also a point guard, was bigger than posh. He may have got the attention of other teams 2’s and bigger defenders. This year posh is getting those bigger defenders while the opposing PG is guarding Curbelo. That could play a role in his inability to hit shots we’ve seen him make in the past.
That’s a good point. Also think that Dunn/Posh was a shared PG responsibility (almost 50/50). The Curbelo/Posh combo is almost entirely a Curbelo show w/2G expectations falling on Posh. I think the struggles have impacted his confidence resulting in a downturn in performance including missing shots that he would normally make,

That’s a good point. Also think that Dunn/Posh was a shared PG responsibility (almost 50/50). The Curbelo/Posh combo is almost entirely a Curbelo show w/2G expectations falling on Posh. I think the struggles have impacted his confidence resulting in a downturn in performance including missing shots that he would normally make,
Valid points by both you and Amase. Seems like Posh has been asked to adjust his game to play with Curbelo, while Curbelo has not (or is not willing to) been asked to adjust his game to play with Posh. Or maybe they are just a bad fit. This falls on the staff to work out. Let's see if they can.

Reading the Nova Nation site I noted a number of the Villanova fans agreeing with one another that the Villanova players “bullied” the St. John’s players, and the StJ’s playerswere undisciplined and disorganize. One quote “same old St. John’s, nothing changes”. Another quote “ We (Nova) recruit players to play in a system. StJ’s merely recruits players”. I agree.

This has to be truest statement ever made with regard to our team.

We (Nova) recruit players to play in a system. StJ’s merely recruits players”
Let’s read their replies after they lose a game to the Johnnies. People make to many snap judgements.I’ll wait til to end of the season to have a position to say. But I am concerned by some of the coaches decisions and the teams performance so far.

Back