Mike Anderson - Former Coach

With who though? They only have two guys 6-10 or taller on the team. One hasn't played at all this year, and the other hasn't since November 14th.
Haven't looked at Depaul roster so you make a valid point. Gonna be tough for them without any big bodies to throw on Soriano.

Their lack of height makes it more, not less, likely that they will double Soriano.
Regardless, be it Depaul or anyone else, unless we're knocking down shots from outside, Soriano becomes much less effective from inside.

Big Mike represents the program well. We could (and have many times) do worse...
So let's discuss worse, who thinks Leonard Hamilton is a great coach and btw I do. Let's look at a great stat from last night's game, Leonard's record is 398 - 252, Coach Mike 431- 243 I think we might want to stop complaining that our Coach needs to go no matter what happens this year... just my opinion but #'s don't lie people do....;)

So let's discuss worse, who thinks Leonard Hamilton is a great coach and btw I do. Let's look at a great stat from last night's game, Leonard's record is 398 - 252, Coach Mike 431- 243 I think we might want to stop complaining that our Coach needs to go no matter what happens this year... just my opinion but #'s don't lie people do....;)
Hamilton’s record is actually 620-462 lifetime. I forget what they said that number was but I did see what your are referencing. Immediately looked up his record cause I thought no way he hadn’t compiled 500 wins or so at his age and success. He did have some rough years along the way. FWIW he’s 420-252 at FSU.

Teams are a reflection of the coach. I think CMA may be a better leader of young men, then he is a basketball coach. Success or failure this season will tell if we continue with the CMA experiment. I’m hoping we do, and don’t have to undergo another rebuild.

Last edited:
Teams are a reflection of the coach. I think CMA may be a better leader of young men, then he is a basketball coach. Success or failure this season will tell if we continue with the CMA experiment. I’m hoping we do, and don’t have to undergo another rebuild.
Absent scandal (which I do not envision) I would be shocked - shocked if CMA is not St. John’s men’s coach next season.

I am a big Leonard Hamilton fan. One of the most underrated coaches in college basketball. I'm a Mike Anderson fan also, but in fairness I think Hamilton's overall body of work surpasses Iron Mike's.

Absent scandal (which I do not envision) I would be shocked - shocked if CMA is not St. John’s men’s coach next season.
If we loose every game, for the rest of the season, by 30 points, CMA will be back next season. As for a scandal, while you can never say never, and not much shocks me any more(especially around our program), I would honestly be completely blown away if this staff/team were found to be involved in any kind of scandal.

Not sure what it is about our fan base that no matter how things are going we feel obliged to speculate about whether the coach will be fired or not. No question this is a big year for the program and CMA and that is totally appropriate. I am rooting for our guys like crazy but doubt our record this year is immaterial to the staff's future.

Not sure what it is about our fan base that no matter how things are going we feel obliged to speculate about whether the coach will be fired or not. No question this is a big year for the program and CMA and that is totally appropriate. I am rooting for our guys like crazy but doubt our record this year is immaterial to the staff's future.
Agree with NCJohnnie, let's watch and enjoy this season, it's been good so far and hopefully will get even better starting tomorrow night at Finneran.

If we loose every game, for the rest of the season, by 30 points, CMA will be back next season. As for a scandal, while you can never say never, and not much shocks me any more(especially around our program), I would honestly be completely blown away if this staff/team were found to be involved in any kind of scandal.
If CMA, who himself has stated that this is the best talent he has ever had at the school, does not make the Dance and he is retained then the school will have sunk to a new low at accepting mediocrity. And any follower who calls him/herself a true fan of this program accepts this should be ashamed of themselves. This is a success oriented business, and the bottom line is wins and losses and making post season play, the rest is just noise. Both Lavin and Mullin made the tourney and were terminated for a lack of greater success so why would they retain someone who didn't make a tourney, and (if he does not make the Dance this year) has grossly underachieved for two consecutive seasons? Other then the fact that it would make Cragg's first major task look like a failure, I see no other possible reason.

However, I do think he makes the tourney this year and not even as a play in or last 4 in, but with a legit seed. As Anderson himself has stated, he certainly has the talent on this team and a very experienced squad. So for that reason, I would expect Coach Anderson to be around for a while longer and have seen some progress on his part. I like the fact that he has somewhat shortened the rotation and seems to be keeping players in more based on their play and not on a pre game substitution script. I also like the fact that the so called 40 minutes of hell has been curtailed somewhat based on the game circumstance and level of opponent and a more aggressive half court defense has been employed. And while I like what I see so far, regardless of the awful OOC schedule, let's see how it plays out in the conference wars.

GO JOHNNIES!!!!!!

Last edited:
Surprised they chose CMA to go with for this- would think they would want a bit more volatile a personality for the show... Hurley fits the bill for this access.

Excited to hear what CMA says Live
I doubt Hurley would ever be OK with this. Wanting a coach is one half. Having the coach agree is another.

I watched DePaul and someone do it last year and found it to be completely boring. That was a stunt they did with no announcers at all. Just the coaches is all you heard. Not sure if that's what they are doing this time.

If CMA, who himself has stated that this is the best talent he has ever had at the school, does not make the Dance and he is retained then the school will have sunk to a new low at accepting mediocrity. And any follower who calls him/herself a true fan of this program accepts this should be ashamed of themselves. This is a success oriented business, and the bottom line is wins and losses and making post season play, the rest is just noise. Both Lavin and Mullin made the tourney and were terminated for a lack of greater success so why would they retain someone who didn't make a tourney, and (if he does not make the Dance this year) has grossly underachieved for two consecutive seasons? Other then the fact that it would make Cragg's first major task look like a failure, I see no other possible reason.

However, I do think he makes the tourney this year and not even as a play in or last 4 in, but with a legit seed. As Anderson himself has stated, he certainly has the talent on this team and a very experienced squad. So for that reason, I would expect Coach Anderson to be around for a while longer and have seen some progress on his part. I like the fact that he has somewhat shortened the rotation and seems to be keeping players in more based on their play and not on a pre game substitution script. I also like the fact that the so called 40 minutes of hell has been curtailed somewhat based on the game circumstance and level of opponent and a more aggressive half court defense has been employed. And while I like what I see so far, regardless of the awful OOC schedule, let's see how it plays out in the conference wars.

GO JOHNNIES!!!!!!
The moment that Norm was extended created a low that would be lower than any

Its over after tonight. Cragg needs to tart picking up the phone tomorrow. CMAs st johns career ended tonight. Has not improved 1 bit in 4 years. Its over.

Back