Mike Anderson - Former Coach

Its over after tonight. Cragg needs to tart picking up the phone tomorrow. CMAs st johns career ended tonight. Has not improved 1 bit in 4 years. Its over.
If you’re going to pull the trigger and fire him after this season , because it’s obvious now we are going nowhere. You have to bring in someone with instant credibility. Like Xavier , Butler and Marquette did with Miller , Matta and Smart. The way the system is now with NIL and immediate transfer eligibility, this doesn’t have to be a four year rebuild. If you bring in a coach with a high level of credibility they can rebuild this team right away. We have some pieces already. The question becomes, who is that guy other than Pitino and would they come here.

If you’re going to pull the trigger and fire him after this season , because it’s obvious now we are going nowhere. You have to bring in someone with instant credibility. Like Xavier , Butler and Marquette did with Miller , Matta and Smart. The way the system is now with NIL and immediate transfer eligibility, this doesn’t have to be a four year rebuild. If you bring in a coach with a high level of credibility they can rebuild this team right away. We have some pieces already. The question becomes, who is that guy other than Pitino and would they come here.
Why is Pitino an impossibility? Wasn’t he cleared of any wrongdoing?

Why is Pitino an impossibility? Wasn’t he cleared of any wrongdoing?
Because the administration just won’t do it based on his past transgressions. Maybe we bring Ricky Junior in here. He would take the job in a heartbeat.

Great post Gene. The turn around could be quick with the right transfers etc. there are certainly allot of NYC kids who initially got away and are not doing well Who may be enticed to come back.

There may also be some coaches who were great mid major coaches who went into Blue Blood programs who may not be able to overcome traditional league leaders and may welcome a change. (See Sean Miller at Xavier, and Smart at Marquette). Who knows how long Natd Oates will last at Bama or Porter Miser at Oklahoma or even Calipari at Kentucky who may welcome a change. I don’t buy the Looie would never let that happen nonsense, that was lifetimes ago.

Great post Gene. The turn around could be quick with the right transfers etc. there are certainly allot of NYC kids who initially got away and are not doing well Who may be enticed to come back.

There may also be some coaches who were great mid major coaches who went into Blue Blood programs who may not be able to overcome traditional league leaders and may welcome a change. (See Sean Miller at Xavier, and Smart at Marquette). Who knows how long Natd Oates will last at Bama or Porter Miser at Oklahoma or even Calipari at Kentucky who may welcome a change. I don’t buy the Looie would never let that happen nonsense, that was lifetimes ago.
Bama is doing very well so I don’t think Oates is goin anywhere and Moser doesn’t seem to me to be that guy. Maybe a guy like Chris Mack who has had success in this league. He had Xavier as a #1 seed the year he got the Louisville job. I think he would come back to the Big East.

Anderson is not the guy.

In this era, there are only a few coaches who can coach, recruit and get a booster base in NYC to put up big NIL.

Pitino is one of of them. Just won't happen.

Joke that we can't seriously consider him, but have no issue with Jason Williams going into the Athletics Hall of Fame (which I support)

A few days of iffy headlines will blow over there would be a buzz again....

In the past 3 seasons and the current one under coach Anderson, the biggest issue that many have had with the team has been the lack of shooting. Now ask yourself this, what has Anderson and staff don’t about it? Have they brought in shooters? Have they developed shooters? Posh and Champs shooting regressed. You can play all the d you want and yes, beat inferior opponent but you are not going to beat decent teams if you can’t put the ball in the hole.

Really baffling what he is doing on the defense end with all the isolation and leaving one man down low without any support. He could’ve gone zone.
Offensively not enough ball movement and chucking it up. Slow it down and look for a better shot: Anderson gives the team too much freedom and the players take terrible shots. It could be remedied but he doesn’t seem willing to demand a more structured approach.
It’s going to be a long season if he isn’t willing to adapt. If he is too stubborn to alter strategies. And the team doesn’t improve. A change might be in order.

Because the administration just won’t do it based on his past transgressions.
Gee, since the Trustees and Administration were willing to turn a blind eye on the conduct of its longtime President then perhaps they would have no problem with Coach Pitino.

The season isn’t over yet. Many of us said if we don’t dance this year, a change is needed and I agree.That hasn’t happened yet, I’ll give it a few more games before deciding we have no chance to dance. I seriously think many on this board are rooting for us not to dance so we can fire yet another coach. It’s almost gleeful.

The season isn’t over yet. Many of us said if we don’t dance this year, a change is needed and I agree.That hasn’t happened yet, I’ll give it a few more games before deciding we have no chance to dance. I seriously think many on this board are rooting for us not to dance so we can fire yet another coach. It’s almost gleeful.
I'm rooting like hell for this team to win every game they play and make a run to the tourney. At some point though, you have to take a realistic overview of what this team's ceiling is. The extreme optimistic end of the somewhat realistic spectrum is that they go something like 12-8, make it to the BET semis, get an 8/9 seed and win a tournament game before falling to the 1 seed in the 2nd round. The second weekend doesn't seem remotely realistic right now. Sure, lots can change between now and March but I think CMA is in that old dog new tricks phase in terms of him suddenly outcoaching the other coaches in this league.

What I think would be the worst case scenario would be for the team to hover around the bubble all season with inconsistent play, backdoor into the play-in game, not go anywhere in the tournament but give the administration a reason to keep CMA despite it being clear he'll never elevate us past this level. It's basically shit or get off the pot time.

Perhaps I'd have a different view if I wasn't holding out to hope that Pitino would be an option should there be a change after the season. Pitino is still one of the top 5 coaches in college basketball in my opinion and at 70 years old now could still give us 6-8 years. There's no doubt in my mind he'd win here and win big. Or if they do make a change and it's not Pitino despite the fact he wants the job, I'll at least know to stop spending time, energy, and money on this product if they don't care about winning.

Not sure about the board. But the fan base in general definitely has some of that. Long season. Lose a game at home were supposed to win before throwing it away. College basketball is a roller coaster (don’t we know!). Look at the perception change of other BE schools so far this season. And it’s not even Christmas. Providence was thought to be in a poor spot, now they say their in a good spot. Creighton was in an awesome spot, now their in a rough spot. Beat Xavier and this loss means little. No show vs Xavier and you’re gonna have fans with torches out just waiting for them to come back from Marquette on a 3 game skid. Momentum in either direction is never too far away, we just have been on the wrong side of it far too often.

Not sure about the board. But the fan base in general definitely has some of that. Long season. Lose a game at home were supposed to win before throwing it away. College basketball is a roller coaster (don’t we know!). Look at the perception change of other BE schools so far this season. And it’s not even Christmas. Providence was thought to be in a poor spot, now they say their in a good spot. Creighton was in an awesome spot, now their in a rough spot. Beat Xavier and this loss means little. No show vs Xavier and you’re gonna have fans with torches out just waiting for them to come back from Marquette on a 3 game skid. Momentum in either direction is never too far away, we just have been on the wrong side of it far too often.
Perspective. Road loss at Nova as 5pt Dogs.

But it is the way we lost that is concerning.

Hopefully the team does whatever they need to do behind closed doors over the break- and bounce back and play the way they did vs DePaul/FSU.... (yes... i know Xavier/SH/Marq are a step or two up...but the way they play can impact the outlook sometimes more than a W or L)

In the past 3 seasons and the current one under coach Anderson, the biggest issue that many have had with the team has been the lack of shooting. Now ask yourself this, what has Anderson and staff don’t about it? Have they brought in shooters? Have they developed shooters? Posh and Champs shooting regressed. You can play all the d you want and yes, beat inferior opponent but you are not going to beat decent teams if you can’t put the ball in the hole.
I think we , as fans , have continued to play the song over and over , that CMA teams play great defense . We haven’t seen much of it in 4 years , if it existed at all . The 40 minutes of Hell is a bygone strategy and BE Coaches aren’t intimidated by it at all . Nova had no trouble breaking down our vaunted guards last night with Arch 2 and Armstrong . Daniels posted the smaller Posh and CMA just watched . We got lucky last night that Whitmore didn’t go off on us . He didn’t need to . Daniels , Armstrong , Dixon , Slater , Linogo all broke us down . And , we still seem to tout our Talent as being superior . It isn’t superior ! 4 years in , with his self described most talented team , CMA hasn’t built anything worthy of accomplishment . It’s a pipe dream to think he has . Maybe it’s just too hard to get kids with high rankings to come here . Storr and Gardner are highly ranked but , he hasn’t used Storr well at all . Kid should play lots of minutes regardless of game situation . They don’t get him the ball a lot when he’s in there and that’s a bad decision . Jones is often too much a chucker and his moves to the hoop , while impressive often result in a miss or blocked . Maybe he was better suited to DePaul’s style ? Whatever that is or was . Xavier is going to be a tough game as will Providence and the Hall . All of them played much better competition in the OOC pre season . The summary is 4 years in , CMA hasn’t accomplished much at all and no one can say his teams look well Coached . They aren’t .

Anderson is not the guy.

In this era, there are only a few coaches who can coach, recruit and get a booster base in NYC to put up big NIL.

Pitino is one of of them. Just won't happen.

Joke that we can't seriously consider him, but have no issue with Jason Williams going into the Athletics Hall of Fame (which I support)

A few days of iffy headlines will blow over there would be a buzz again....
I don’t disagree RedstormNC , my issue with Pitino is his age. How long will he be here?

Longer than a young up and comer would if he succeeded here before bolting for greener pastures
I too have been an advocate of trying to bring Pitino in. I believe bringing in a coach who can recruit and coach is the only chance this program has to become relevant again. Do we even know if he would take the job if offered? Let us not forget that virtually no one wanted the job after Mullin. It would not be wise to sever ties with CMA unless we are darn sure we have an adequate replacement. This is not exactly a destination job.

I too have been an advocate of trying to bring Pitino in. I believe bringing in a coach who can recruit and coach is the only chance this program has to become relevant again. Do we even know if he would take the job if offered? Let us not forget that virtually no one wanted the job after Mullin. It would not be wise to sever ties with CMA unless we are darn sure we have an adequate replacement. This is not exactly a destination job.
Have heard that he is more than interested FWIW

Back