Mike Anderson - Former Coach

Mike Anderson 100% deserves to be fired. It's a results oriented business and he was paid very handsomely to win basketball games. He didn't and now he will be paid handsomely to leave.

That said, I hold no personal disdain for Anderson as he moves on. If he decides to stay in coaching and lands at a lower level (Arkansas State maybe) I won't root against him.

When he took the job he showed a passion for the business and showed he was going to put the work in and embrace the grind that a college coach needs to have to succeed. If he failed it wouldn't be because of laziness.

His teams always played hard and seemed to enjoy playing for him. Even this season the team never quit on him despite the record going sideways fairly quickly. Aside from Curbelo, the kids he recruited have been very easy to root for. Julian, Posh, Soriano perfect examples of that.

Never got the impression that Anderson was just taking SJU for a ride just for an extra payday. I think he did put the work in and even established more NYC relationships than the previous two staffs.

It just didn't work out. On to the next one.

Perfectly stated. My only issue is that he seemed a bit stubborn in his willingness to adapt to the modern game or have self awareness that his approach simply was no longer working. That being said, you cannot question that he put the work in and the kids seemed to like playing for him. Aside from a handful.

People may not remember the embarrassing losses under Mullin year after year when those teams were BET no shows but I do and they were really awful. I am not even beginning to suggest about extending CMA's tenure because of his team's play in the BET. That said, it has been totally different under him and for me as a fan I personally don't want to see SJU team's not show up in the BET. For what it is worth under Anderson that has not happened yet.

I have always said that CMA hasn't had the embarrassing losses or seasons that his predecessors have had. But he also hasn't reached the heights that Lavin and Mullin took the program to. He's like a car stuck in a middle gear.

Is anderson crazy. He is actually waiting for an NIT BID in his press conference? I cant believe he would say that. Please lets just terminate him right now. A good coach doesnt need his assistant drawing up a play on the final play of the game. A good coach we would of won this game. In some ways im "glad" we lost because it gives SJU more evidence on how incompetent he is . Fun game though

His buyout I am told is $11.4 million...WOW
for those who understand how this works...
if they pay the buyout... is CMA not allowed to Coach until 2027? or whenever his extension ran through?
Can they work out something out and say- here is 6mm - go Coach wherever?

Mike Anderson 100% deserves to be fired. It's a results oriented business and he was paid very handsomely to win basketball games. He didn't and now he will be paid handsomely to leave.

That said, I hold no personal disdain for Anderson as he moves on. If he decides to stay in coaching and lands at a lower level (Arkansas State maybe) I won't root against him.

When he took the job he showed a passion for the business and showed he was going to put the work in and embrace the grind that a college coach needs to have to succeed. If he failed it wouldn't be because of laziness.

His teams always played hard and seemed to enjoy playing for him. Even this season the team never quit on him despite the record going sideways fairly quickly. Aside from Curbelo, the kids he recruited have been very easy to root for. Julian, Posh, Soriano perfect examples of that.

Never got the impression that Anderson was just taking SJU for a ride just for an extra payday. I think he did put the work in and even established more NYC relationships than the previous two staffs.

It just didn't work out. On to the next one.
+1000. I was all in on CMA for the first few years, really until this year. But this year, in particular, he seemed to be lost on the sidelines and very unable to adjust in games and most importantly unable to get all the players he recruited to play together and keep themselves in check.
Wish him well and agree he made some nice local recruiting inroads that hopefully his successor can take advantage of.

if they pay the buyout... is CMA not allowed to Coach until 2027? or whenever his extension ran through?
He can coach elsewhere. The amount of buyout he receives will be reduced by the salary he gets in his new job.

Like every employment contract it depends what the contract says, but would likely be a case of dollars he gets paid from another coaching job serves to offset what SJU owes him.

His buyout I am told is $11.4 million...WOW
I heard from a connected East End guy that this does not get done without some Wall Street guys who came forward to offset the costs, and that they had no intention of offsetting costs for just any old name. Obviously the big name has been circulating, so hopefully it happens. He also heard Brey is super high on the list. Made it sound like he was No. 1A or No. 2. I asked about some other guys and he told me younger guys not in play at all. Not sure if that's a good thing. I guess we'll see soon enough if he was fed a line of BS.

Back