Mike Anderson - Former Coach

As some may realize I - Sherman, Sheridan & Grant - am much less active on this site then in past years. And as with some fellow posters I tend/tended to espouse patience and “give the coach a chance”.
I have changed!
If most or at least many Catholic non- football, small colleges and universities can excel in basketball - to wit: Nova, Gonzaga, St.Mary’s, Creighton, Xavier, Providence, Seton Hall, others
WHY CANNOT ST. JOHNS???
We have had too many disappointing seasons and the time has come for a change in our SJU hierarchy.
All the best -
SS&G

As some may realize I - Sherman, Sheridan & Grant - am much less active on this site then in past years. And as with some fellow posters I tend/tended to espouse patience and “give the coach a chance”.
I have changed!
If most or at least many Catholic non- football, small colleges and universities can excel in basketball - to wit: Nova, Gonzaga, St.Mary’s, Creighton, Xavier, Providence, Seton Hall, others
WHY CANNOT ST. JOHNS???
We have had too many disappointing seasons and the time has come for a change in our SJU hierarchy.
All the best -
SS&G
Great to see you posting again.

One place St. John's has clearly improved under Mike Anderson has been in the Program's performances, during his tenure, in the Big East Tournament. During the four years prior to Anderson's hire, under Chris Mullin, SJU was eliminated in their Big East Tournament games by margins of 32, 28, 41 and 8 points. Those four losses were characterized by end of the year collapses and some really embarrassing defeats.

Under Mike Anderson the team has always shown grit and fight in Big East tournament play:

In 2020 They won their first round game against Georgetown by 13
In the second round against top seeded Creighton they led at the half 38 to 35 when the tournament was cancelled due to Covid.

In 2021 in a quarterfinal 4/5 game against Seton Hall they lost in overtime.

In 2022 they won their first round game against DePaul by 19
In the second round against a second seeded Villanova team that would ultimately make the NCAA Final Four, St. John's lost by 1 point in a game they led by 17 in the second half and had several bad calls go against them that aided Villanova's comeback.

In 2023 They won their first round game against Butler by 13
Tomorrow they play top seeded Marquette.

Although Mike Anderson tenure is likely to end after SJU loses in the Big East tournament (tomorrow or possibly later on), his teams have typically shown up and fought during the Big East tournament. Up until now SJU's only losses under him in the Big East tourney is an overtime loss and a one point loss against a final four team. Hopefully this trend will continue tomorrow and possibly beyond, if they somehow get past Marquette.
As much as I want give credit to CMA for raising his teams level in the BET, a deeper dive shows we beat teams with conference records of 5-13 (GU), 6-14 (DePaul) and 6-14 (Butler) respectively. Mullin also won 3 BET first round games.

However a win today against top seeded Marquette may lend some credence.

As much as I want give credit to CMA for raising his teams level in the BET, a deeper dive shows we beat teams with conference records of 5-13 (GU), 6-14 (DePaul) and 6-14 (Butler) respectively. Mullin also won 3 BET first round games.

However a win today against top seeded Marquette may lend some credence.
Mullin's teams imploded and lost games by huge margins (41,32 and 28) in the BE tournament. SJU under Anderson was beating #1 seeded Creighton at half when the game was cancelled due to the pandemic. They also lost by only one to final four bound Villanova. This is a total improvement from the end of the season implosions under Mullin. I know it is unpopular to say anything positive about CMA and I understand why but the improved play in the Big East Tournament under him is pretty blatant and clear.

Mullin's teams imploded and lost games by huge margins (41,32 and 28) in the BE tournament. SJU under Anderson was beating #1 seeded Creighton at half when the game was cancelled due to the pandemic. They also lost by only one to final four bound Villanova. This is a total improvement from the end of the season implosions under Mullin. I know it is unpopular to say anything positive about CMA and I understand why but the improved play in the Big East Tournament under him is pretty blatant and clear.
Just pointing out the wins, both CMA and Mullin have 3 a piece against bottom dwellers.

So he raised the program's BET performance from bad to slightly less bad?

His BET record is nothing to hang his hat on.

So he raised the program's BET performance from bad to slightly less bad?

His BET record is nothing to hang his hat on.
People may not remember the embarrassing losses under Mullin year after year when those teams were BET no shows but I do and they were really awful. I am not even beginning to suggest about extending CMA's tenure because of his team's play in the BET. That said, it has been totally different under him and for me as a fan I personally don't want to see SJU team's not show up in the BET. For what it is worth under Anderson that has not happened yet.

I have changed!
WHY CANNOT ST. JOHNS???
All the best -
SS&G
Good to see you back. :)

Mike Anderson 100% deserves to be fired. It's a results oriented business and he was paid very handsomely to win basketball games. He didn't and now he will be paid handsomely to leave.

That said, I hold no personal disdain for Anderson as he moves on. If he decides to stay in coaching and lands at a lower level (Arkansas State maybe) I won't root against him.

When he took the job he showed a passion for the business and showed he was going to put the work in and embrace the grind that a college coach needs to have to succeed. If he failed it wouldn't be because of laziness.

His teams always played hard and seemed to enjoy playing for him. Even this season the team never quit on him despite the record going sideways fairly quickly. Aside from Curbelo, the kids he recruited have been very easy to root for. Julian, Posh, Soriano perfect examples of that.

Never got the impression that Anderson was just taking SJU for a ride just for an extra payday. I think he did put the work in and even established more NYC relationships than the previous two staffs.

It just didn't work out. On to the next one.

I have changed!
WHY CANNOT ST. JOHNS???
All the best -
SS&G
Great to see you back General!

Back