Mike Anderson - Former Coach

He is by no means a failure as a person, husband, father, grandfather, basketball coach or decent human being. As a matter of fact he is to be admired for the many outstanding qualities he has. But he was not hired at SJU for those reasons. And as Monte said he has failed at this job. He was not hired to win 16 -19 games a season and remain in the bottom third of the BE. He was hired to move the needle in a major way the same way Wojo was not retained and Shaka was hired to move the needle in Marquette.
He was hired to bring us into the top 6 teams of the conference in order that we would consistently be in the conversation on selection Sunday. There he has failed. We are no better off at the conclusion of year 4 then we were after his second season, and this with a pg and Center who each should have been first team BE and a rookie who will be on the conference all rookie team.
CMA is anything but a failure but he has failed in the job expectations at SJU.
I believe he would like to attain 500 wins or more as the man still works hard and there will be a program who will pick him up if he is let go by SJU. I would continue to pay him out if let go and wait until he picks up another job thereby minimizing the amount we would be on the hook for. Judging by what happened last time around it should not take too long for him to find something else. As Monte has correctly pointed out he has a damn good agent who will not be sitting around waiting for the phone to ring if CMA still wishes to work.
While I don’t know how CMA is as a father etc. I do question your assumption of him being a good human being. There are those in the organization that would disagree with that assumption as would s former assistant coach who was let go due to a serious heart condition where he received no support from CMA. Of course you won’t hear much about this as Cragg and the good 😂 people at St. John’s did their best to keep that situation under wraps.

While I don’t know how CMA is as a father etc. I do question your assumption of him being a good human being. There are those in the organization that would disagree with that assumption as would s former assistant coach who was let go due to a serious heart condition where he received no support from CMA. Of course you won’t hear much about this as Cragg and the good 😂 people at St. John’s did their best to keep that situation under wraps.
Wow :(

We don't know the entire story involving the former assistant coach, only what was reported that was contained within his lawsuit.

I unlike you have no axe to grind with CMA or Mike Cragg and I have no clue as to why you do.
The assistant coach that was let go somehow won a championship this past season as was reported on red men. I question how serious his heart condition was as we all know how stressful college coaching can be. And why should Cragg discuss it , if there is a law suit he would be prohibited from discussing it publicly. I don’t know what you would find so hard to understand about that. But again you search out every possible reason to knock CMA and Cragg.

I unlike you have no axe to grind with CMA or Mike Cragg and I have no clue as to why you do.
The assistant coach that was let go somehow won a championship this past season as was reported on red men. I question how serious his heart condition was as we all know how stressful college coaching can be. And why should Cragg discuss it , if there is a law suit he would be prohibited from discussing it publicly. I don’t know what you would find so hard to understand about that. But again you search out every possible reason to knock CMA and Cragg.
In terms of Cragg, I think he has done a lousy job overseeing the hoops program at the school. From continually orchestrating a miserable OOC schedule that has hindered the team from making any kind of a post season tournament, to bringing in convicted felons to perform at the opening of hoops season to a ridiculous contact extension. I don’t have any axe to grind it’s based on all of the above.

In terms of CMA, there’s allot more there then I care to discuss on a public forum but I assure you, you are way off base when it comes to DeMeo. My criticisms of coach Anderson as have everyone’s else’s has been based on performance and that alone. I just happened to notice his limitations much earlier than most so it may seem like I go after him more.

In terms of Cragg, I think he has done a lousy job overseeing the hoops program at the school. From continually orchestrating a miserable OOC schedule that has hindered the team from making any kind of a post season tournament, to bringing in convicted felons to perform at the opening of hoops season to any Rappa ridiculous contact extension. I don’t have any axe to grind it’s based on all of the above.

In terms of CMA, there’s allot more there then I care to discuss on a public forum but I assure you, you are way off base when it comes to DeMeo. My criticisms of coach Anderson as have everyone’s else’s has been based on performance and that alone. I just happened to notice his limitations much earlier than most so it may seem like I go after him more.
Jonny Rapper needs to change his name to Johnny Gansta Rapper. He attacks more people at St Johns than Suge Knight and has bigger beefs than Tupac and Biggie Smalls :)

Jonny Rapper needs to change his name to Johnny Gansta Rapper. He attacks more people at St Johns than Suge Knight and has bigger beefs than Tupac and Biggie Smalls :)
Yo bro….. it ain’t so.

I’ve never attacked a player and my attacks errrr, my criticisms on this site have been limited to a poor coach and a not right for this job (beer or no beer) Athletic Director. Other than that, and a few misguided posters, everyone else is simply marvelous. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

One place St. John's has clearly improved under Mike Anderson has been in the Program's performances, during his tenure, in the Big East Tournament. During the four years prior to Anderson's hire, under Chris Mullin, SJU was eliminated in their Big East Tournament games by margins of 32, 28, 41 and 8 points. Those four losses were characterized by end of the year collapses and some really embarrassing defeats.

Under Mike Anderson the team has always shown grit and fight in Big East tournament play:

In 2020 They won their first round game against Georgetown by 13
In the second round against top seeded Creighton they led at the half 38 to 35 when the tournament was cancelled due to Covid.

In 2021 in a quarterfinal 4/5 game against Seton Hall they lost in overtime.

In 2022 they won their first round game against DePaul by 19
In the second round against a second seeded Villanova team that would ultimately make the NCAA Final Four, St. John's lost by 1 point in a game they led by 17 in the second half and had several bad calls go against them that aided Villanova's comeback.

In 2023 They won their first round game against Butler by 13
Tomorrow they play top seeded Marquette.

Although Mike Anderson tenure is likely to end after SJU loses in the Big East tournament (tomorrow or possibly later on), his teams have typically shown up and fought during the Big East tournament. Up until now SJU's only losses under him in the Big East tourney is an overtime loss and a one point loss against a final four team. Hopefully this trend will continue tomorrow and possibly beyond, if they somehow get past Marquette.

One place St. John's has clearly improved under Mike Anderson has been in the Program's performances, during his tenure, in the Big East Tournament. During the four years prior to Anderson's hire, under Chris Mullin, SJU was eliminated in their Big East Tournament games by margins of 32, 28, 41 and 8 points. Those four losses were characterized by end of the year collapses and some really embarrassing defeats.

Under Mike Anderson the team has always shown grit and fight in Big East tournament play:

In the second round against top seeded Creighton they led at the half 38 to 35 when the tournament was cancelled due to Covid.

In the second round against a second seeded Villanova team that would ultimately make the NCAA Final Four, St. John's lost by 1 point in a game they led by 17 in the second half and had several bad calls go against them that aided Villanova's comeback.

Although Mike Anderson tenure is likely to end after SJU loses in the Big East tournament (tomorrow or possibly later on), his teams have typically shown up and fought during the Big East tournament. Up until now SJU's only losses under him in the Big East tourney is an overtime loss and a one point loss against a final four team. Hopefully this trend will continue tomorrow and possibly beyond, if they somehow get past Marquette.
Know it is not your intention but it still amounts to damning with feint praise.

It must have been the inciteful and inspirational huddle-talks CMA provided during his expertly timed timeouts.

I hope you didn't jinx them today. These Noon games are tough on the team that played the day before. Even though they are 3pm now unlike the Mullin night games.

Back