Mike Anderson - Former Coach

Never did I say that there are no precedents for a terminated coach to accept a lower buyout. Of course there are. I am saying that Anderson, at the age of 63, would be motivated to pursue the full amount owed to him. I don't know how many mouths he has to feed, no one on this board does. I do know that leaving $2 million on the table is an expensive proposition. That will buy you a damn nice property in Alabama or Missouri or Arkansas.
I guess the answer is we just don't know a lot of things;
1. what is the actual buyout?
2. Does SJU want him gone?
3. Does he want to leave?
4. Does he want to continue to coach(somehwere)?
5. What does his wife and family think?
6. What's his financial situation
etc, etc, etc.

I still say that if SJU wants him gone, and he wants to go, there's a settlement to be had, but time will tell.

NC State was the only P6 team to accept an NIT invite in 2021.

And plenty of guys play in the postseason even though they know they are going to transfer no matter the situation.
Many of those kids were already gone by the time the regular season ended. They had no interest in playing in the NIT. I felt it back then and Demeo confirmed exactly what I felt.

Many of those kids were already gone by the time the regular season ended. They had no interest in playing in the NIT. I felt it back then and Demeo confirmed exactly what I felt.

Well they all played in the last game, besides Moore of course, so I'm not sure what you're saying. And if they quit on the team before the decision not to play in the NIT was announced then I'm glad I haven't joined into the love affairs with them in the "Keeping Up with Old Friends" thread.

Well they all played in the last game, besides Moore of course, so I'm not sure what you're saying. And if they quit on the team before the decision not to play in the NIT was announced then I'm glad I haven't joined into the love affairs with them in the "Keeping Up with Old Friends" thread.
I meant mentally gone. They had checked out. I believe Dunn announced he was gone right after the last game. The only hold out was GWill, for a while.

I didn't do hard labor either. If you think being the head coach at SJU isn't stressful, then you haven't been watching enough SJU basketball over the past 20 years.
I know it is.

Maybe cma thought he could succeed here, this year maybe he realizes that he can't, so he wants to go back down south.
If he quits he won't get paid, so maybe he wants to get fired, and I doubt he's agree on a sttlement for less.

My point is if he doesn't care and wants to be fired or he'll staying coach just to collect $$$$$. He'll coach and continue to recruit and do the best he can but if he continues doing bad, maybe he'll be fired sooner then later and he'll get his buyout and be happy in the south.

Coaching like that is stressful? I don't think so.

I meant mentally gone. They had checked out. I believe Dunn announced he was gone right after the last game. The only hold out was GWill, for a while.
I thought dunn was after everyone else somewhat late and most surprising. Was thought he would just graduate and forgo last year.

Williams and Earlington came after The first wave of not so unexpected deportees.

I thought dunn was after everyone else somewhat late and most surprising. Was thought he would just graduate and forgo last year.

Williams and Earlington came after The first wave of not so unexpected deportees.
I stand corrected. I remember him making a comment like "I'm outta here" right when the regular season ended, which made me think that there was no way he'd be playing in the post season, but he was actually the last one that team to enter the portal...

As has been mentioned STJ turned down an NIT invitation in year 2.
1. what is the actual buyout?
2. Does SJU want him gone?
3. Does he want to leave?
4. Does he want to continue to coach(somehwere)?
5. What does his wife and family think?
6. What's his financial situation
etc, etc, etc.

I still say that if SJU wants him gone, and he wants to go, there's a settlement to be had, but time will tell.
Here is another one.
If they do save some $ on a buyout does that $ go towards a big name coach or make any difference at all for next hire?

I know it is.

Maybe cma thought he could succeed here, this year maybe he realizes that he can't, so he wants to go back down south.
If he quits he won't get paid, so maybe he wants to get fired, and I doubt he's agree on a sttlement for less.

My point is if he doesn't care and wants to be fired or he'll staying coach just to collect $$$$$. He'll coach and continue to recruit and do the best he can but if he continues doing bad, maybe he'll be fired sooner then later and he'll get his buyout and be happy in the south.

Coaching like that is stressful? I don't think so.
Imagine being in a job where your bosses and the fans all want you gone. You can't recruit because you're a lame duck, you can't win because you can't recruit, as well as for other reasons. You get booed game in and game out by the few fans who still care enough to attend games and boo. I don't care if you're getting paid 50 Mil per year, that ain't fun. I assume Mike Anderson has a fair amount of pride. I don't see him subjecting himself to that for very long.

Seriously, no one has analyzed this Anderson buyout more than Redfazed. I mean this dude is vested in this deal
Lol, can't blame you for thinking that. I just think that Anderson is getting unfairly maligned for being on the receiving end of an insane buyout. Not his fault.

1. How cares what the actual amount of the buyout might be?
2. Why wouldn't SJU want him gone?
3. Who cares whether he wants to leave?
4. Why would anyone want him to coach anywhere?
5. Who cares what his wife and family think?
6. WTF does his financial situation mean to the decision?
etc, etc, etc.

Monte, I fixed your post.

Lol, can't blame you for thinking that. I just think that Anderson is getting unfairly maligned for being on the receiving end of an insane buyout. Not his fault.

I think Cragg is getting maligned for the buyout, oh and Monte's whipping boy Sexton for doing his job.

If anything, Cragg and Shanley are the ones getting (fairly) maligned for the insane buyout, not Anderson.

I stand corrected. I remember him making a comment like "I'm outta here" right when the regular season ended, which made me think that there was no way he'd be playing in the post season, but he was actually the last one that team to enter the portal...

Selection Sunday was March 14 and St Johns announced they would not play in the NIT that night. Josh entered the portal March 23, William and Earlington entered the portal March 31. Well after the NIT would have started. And from what I've seen of those guys they would have played if asked. Dunn as you mentioned entered the portal much later. So who are we talking about? Moore was already gone. Vince Cole I guess. He entered March 16. So who really knows. I'm not saying there weren't troubles with that team at the end but I still think everyone but Moore had enough pride and self respect to play it out, get a trip, more free food, more hoops. And probably 1 game. That team finished with a winning BE record and a couple wins against ranked teams, warts and all.

How about Mike Cragg schedules only top 25 schools for the OOC schedule next season as an inducement to an agreeable exit plan?
I know you say that jokingly, but there has got to be ways for the school to do things unilaterally that CMA wouldn't be ok with. One of the things previously mentioned was to insist he fire members of his staff. Not sure what's in his contract regarding that and other things. It will likely never come to that, but again, no one wants to work for an employer who doesn't want that person there.

Back