Mike Anderson - Former Coach

All these discussions about taking less than his contract calls for in the event of involuntary termination only make any sense if SJU is willing to say we both know this isn't working so how about you take a little less and go home where life is cheaper and if you're not willing to do that we expect you to stay here and keep coaching, because if he is going to be gone one way or the other (with the same ability to go home and not work) why would he take less.

All these discussions about taking less than his contract calls for in the event of involuntary termination only make any sense if SJU is willing to say we both know this isn't working so how about you take a little less and go home where life is cheaper and if you're not willing to do that we expect you to stay here and keep coaching, because if he is going to be gone one way or the other (with the same ability to go home and not work) why would he take less.
Exactly NCJ. You have to hope that at the end of the season, Cragg can sit down with CMA and have that conversation. Unfortunately, I highly doubt that Sexton is going to let CMA have that conversation without him being a party. And once Sexton is involved, which he will be, we're toast most likely.

Exactly NCJ. You have to hope that at the end of the season, Cragg can sit down with CMA and have that conversation. Unfortunately, I highly doubt that Sexton is going to let CMA have that conversation without him being a party. And once Sexton is involved, which he will be, we're toast most likely.
Everyone at home playing the Monte says Sexton drinking game has to do 2 shots on this last post :)

Not sure why you see it as dumb. I closed my company 5 years ago because I was miserable doing what I was doing, was getting up in years and wanted more freedom. Yes I left money on the table by closing my company. So, by your rationale, I should have kept my company open and continued to be miserable simply because I would be making more money? And no one was offering me millions of dollars to go away. Some things, like time and happiness, are far more important than getting every last penny that you can.
Monte
I changed careers to one making much less and I am much happier.
The issue is what does ST John’s say:
Take less and leave or keep your job seems like an odd thing to offer.

Monte
I changed careers to one making much less and I am much happier.
The issue is what does ST John’s say:
Take less and leave or keep your job seems like an odd thing to offer.
Isn’t that the same thing essentially you had to answer? Didn’t you take less to leave opposed to staying In your higher paying career?

Isn’t that the same thing essentially you had to answer? Didn’t you take less to leave opposed to staying In your higher paying career?
But it was their choice just like it was my choice to retire and trade a lot of compensation for a lot of relaxation and family time. If I had a contract and my employer told me I had to leave I'd expect to get paid under the terms of my contract, especially if I was willing to stay. The two situations are very different at least on their face and clearly there's a lot we're not privy to.

But it was their choice just like it was my choice to retire and trade a lot of compensation for a lot of relaxation and family time. If I had a contract and my employer told me I had to leave I'd expect to get paid under the terms of my contract. The two situations are very different at least on their face
I think your point is a good one. Same with WASJU. We are all speculating not only one contract terms but personal feelings.

To your point I’d say maybe CMA’s true choice is to retire and he would much rather be paid 80% to do so than volunteer and forfeit on his own.

A buyout agreement will be reached. As many have mentioned, this is no longer a happy experience for CMA and it will only get worse. He has lost the benefit of the doubt from fans, the media , his superiors, and the players. He knows a portion of the roster will enter the portal chiefly to play for a new coach and in a different system. He knows St. John's would, at a minimum, have to force changes to his staff in order to weather the public relations nightmare that would follow his retention. In short (sadly) this will become an uncomfortable, unsupportive place to continue coaching.

I predict that escaping the gloom and doom, and still getting paid millions, will be appealing enough.

Last edited:
The $$$ aside , which is a big deal there are some other issues for CMA and SJU to consider . Mike knows he has failed at this job . No ifs, ands and butts s about it . He’s a proud Man with a lifetime legacy of being a good , not great BB Coach . At this point , even with the extension , he’s sort of a lame duck . The fan base doesn’t want him Coaching anymore , the Media has called for his dismissal , it’s very likely more than a few players will be looking for the exits and incoming Recruits will look to be to released . With all the above in place , will Mike want to Coach a team next year that could go 0 for the BE season ? The heat from Fans wound be staggering and unmerciful . Is that what a 63 year Coach wants to face next year and the year after ?! I don’t Think he does . Thus , a negotiated settlement is likely .1677707908039.png

It was mentioned earlier in this thread, but if CMA and his agent were to hold out for the entire remaining contract to be paid out by SJU, this would essentially prevent him from working for the next 4 years until the contract is up with SJU. CMA does not strike me as someone who's ready to retire, he's relatively young. So this would be a main factor of why he'd opt for a negotiated buy out.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread, but if CMA and his agent were to hold out for the entire remaining contract to be paid out by SJU, this would essentially prevent him from working for the next 4 years until the contract is up with SJU. CMA does not strike me as someone who's ready to retire, he's relatively young. So this would be a main factor of why he'd opt for a negotiated buy out.
Completely agree with that if CMA wants to keep working somewhere else rather than just retire.

Not working is an incentive, no? Again we obviously aren’t talking about a perfect scenario here for sju.
our situation sounds a lot like the cardinals and Kliff K situation. Just signed to an extension for some odd reason only to be fired. He took the money and ran to a beautiful island and I'm pretty sure he didn't get all of it. So, I agree I think that is a big incentive especially at MAs age.

What happens if he is fired, does not agree to buyout and receives the remainder of his contract (let's just say 4 years and 10 mil) and then takes another job making 1 mil per year? Does the 1 mil offset what St.John's owes him? If it does, then he would have an incentive if he wants to keep coaching and thinks he can get any kind of a decent job. If not, then there likely will not be a settlement.

But it was their choice just like it was my choice to retire and trade a lot of compensation for a lot of relaxation and family time. If I had a contract and my employer told me I had to leave I'd expect to get paid under the terms of my contract, especially if I was willing to stay. The two situations are very different at least on their face and clearly there's a lot we're not privy to.
I think you guys are nuts. He will demand every penny. He isn't taking less. You guys are in dream world.

Back