Mike Anderson - Former Coach

What is St John’s leverage?
Take less $ or keep coaching?
You didn’t answer the question.

You don’t think it’s possible someone would rather take 8 million now to do nothing instead of work for the next 50 months to make 10 along the way. Doubt he would stay north if he’s done at SJU. That 8 million in Oklahoma now is probably worth the 10 mill in New York.

Could his motivation not be to not have to work 12 months out of the year in a place that doesn’t want him while instead still getting 75-80% of what he would make not having to work?

Plus like you’ve mentioned plenty, he’s still got his .500 or better streak in tact.
The only way the above scenario would make sense is if (a) Cragg/Shanley have told Anderson that he will NOT be fired after this season and (b) Anderson cannot bear to stay at SJU another year, so will walk away and accept only 75% of what’s owed to him under his contract.

If Anderson knows he’s getting canned after this season, he has precisely zero incentive to forfeit one dime of what he’s owed under the contract.

The only way the above scenario would make sense is if (a) Cragg/Shanley have told Anderson that he will NOT be fired after this season and (b) Anderson cannot bear to stay at SJU another year, so will walk away and accept only 75% of what’s owed to him under his contract.

If Anderson knows he’s getting canned after this season, he has precisely zero incentive to forfeit one dime of what he’s owed under the contract.
Not working is an incentive, no? Again we obviously aren’t talking about a perfect scenario here for sju.

You didn’t answer the question.

You don’t think it’s possible someone would rather take 8 million now to do nothing instead of work for the next 50 months to make 10 along the way. Doubt he would stay north if he’s done at SJU. That 8 million in Oklahoma now is probably worth the 10 mill in New York.
I can argue he is not really doing anything to earn anything.
2 million is still 2 million
Again if saving some $ gets us a better coach or even ensures he definitely gets fired, I am all for it.
But short of knowing he has something else lined up, no I don’t see that as something someone looking at no more big pay days would do.
But I am happy for you and Monte that you guys would leave a few million on the table.
Drinks are on you two at the next get together.

Again if saving some $ gets us a better coach or even ensures he definitely gets fired, I am all for it.
But short of knowing he has something else lined up, no I don’t see that as something someone looking at no more big pay days would do.
But I am happy for you and Monte that you guys would leave a few million on the table.
If I were already a multimillionaire, and a family man, and in my 60s, and a failure at my job and miserable, you damn well best believe that I'd leave a few mil on the table to be able to head back home, spend time my family and have piece of mind.

I Havnt made in excess of 20 million in my coaching career. And again I think the 2 mill could be saved over 4 years when comparing cost of living in NY vs South, especially for someone with money to spend.

Congrats

No one wants to work for an employer who doesn't want them, and in the case of a coach, a fan base who doesn't want them. No one wants to stay in a job where they are so clearly failing based on the expectations. The right thing for all parties involved are to try to come to some sort of amicable settlement.
I know if I'm Anderson I wouldn't come to a settlement, I'm the type that I want every cent that's coming to me.
gotta blame sju for giving him that extension.

Not working for $10 million is better than not working for $8 million. If I'm Anderson's agent, I'm calling SJU's bluff to fire me.
Yes no argument there. But not sure working for 10 is better than not working for 8.

I Havnt made in excess of 20 million in my coaching career. And again I think the 2 mill could be saved over 4 years when comparing cost of living in NY vs South, especially for someone with money to spend.
Maybe I'm missing something but taking less than he's entitled to under his contract so that he can go back home with cheaper cost of living and not work only makes sense if the alternative is he'll have to stay in NY and work for another year if he doesn't take a discount from what his contract entitles him to. I doubt that is the case.

If this decision were purely up to CMA,
I'd like our chances of working out a settlement a lot more. But the negotiations, if there are to be any, are going to be handled by Sexton, who has already run roughshod over Cragg, etc twice. So I have absolutely no doubt that the 3rd time will be a charm for Sexton and CMA.

But really my argument is the same what leverage does ST John’s have here?
If he takes a buyout for less than owed he is dumber than I think he is.
Not sure why you see it as dumb. I closed my company 5 years ago because I was miserable doing what I was doing, was getting up in years and wanted more freedom. Yes I left money on the table by closing my company. So, by your rationale, I should have kept my company open and continued to be miserable simply because I would be making more money? And no one was offering me millions of dollars to go away. Some things, like time and happiness, are far more important than getting every last penny that you can.

If this decision were purely up to CMA,
I'd like our chances of working out a settlement a lot more. But the negotiations, if there are to be any, are going to be handled by Sexton, who has already run roughshod over Cragg, etc twice. So I have absolutely no doubt that the 3rd time will be a charm for Sexton and CMA.
Cragg vs Sexton is like a ONE STAR HS recruit vs LeBron James. Can you say.....no contest?

And everyone thought Cragg was so smart because he came from Duke.
Instead Sexton been playing him.

You'd almost want a BS'er as the AD, because Sexton and rep agents will try to BS the hell out you.
There's a saying. You can't bs a bs'er.
Facts.

Last edited:
Not sure why you see it as dumb. I closed my company 5 years ago because I was miserable doing what I was doing, was getting up in years and wanted more freedom. Yes I left money on the table by closing my company. So, by your rationale, I should have kept my company open and continued to be miserable simply because I would be making more money? And no one was offering me millions of dollars to go away. Some things, like time and happiness, are far more important than getting every last penny that you can.
What does CMA do? Hard labor? No, do they have real practices? From what I have seen this year, no

He just roams the sidelines and mumbles stuff to the kids.
Easy job to me and make millions on top of that? I'd be willing to stay miserable if that's the case.

Yes, I'm very very greedy.

What does CMA do? Hard labor? No, do they have real practices? From what I have seen this year, no

Easy job to me and make millions on top of that? I'd be willing to stay miserable if that's the case.

Yes, coaching division 1 basketball is an extremely leisure filled job with little stress.

Not very stressful if you really don't care about your job, just saying for the money, if they want they can fire me, then i get a buyout, it's all good.

I didn't do hard labor either. If you think being the head coach at SJU isn't stressful, then you haven't been watching enough SJU basketball over the past 20 years.

Back