Mike Anderson - Former Coach

You're either getting the job done or you're not, its pretty simple. If you are not getting the job done, then it is incumbent upon the President, AD and BOT to find a qualified replacement. If they give a damn at all about the basketball program.
That is the key issue: what is the job they are supposed to be getting done? If the job is measured by wins and losses in conference and overall, or by tournament appearances, it is clear that the 4 years of CMA have not measured up. If the decision-makers' think that getting the job done is different than that, then there is a chance much of the coaching staff will return next year. But I think those Cragg and Shanley quotes from earlier in the month about "disappointment" lead me to believe they can't turn a blind eye to clearly underwhelming results.

Mike and SJ decision makers know this has not worked out and the best thing is to try to reach a deal shortly after the last game of season. This is over and pressure shifts from CMA to Shanley & Cragg to get the right candidates lined up as soon as season ends. Not going to be easy, they will have limited options and risks. They imo won’t attract any ready made guys. It is also better for my mental health to move on from Pitino, for whatever reason SJU does not agree with me.

Mike and SJ decision makers know this has not worked out and the best thing is to try to reach a deal shortly after the last game of season. This is over and pressure shifts from CMA to Shanley & Cragg to get the right candidates lined up as soon as season ends. Not going to be easy, they will have limited options and risks. They imo won’t attract any ready made guys. It is also better for my mental health to move on from Pitino, for whatever reason SJU does not agree with me.
We are officially locked in the DePaul tier of the league.

CMA has a contract. He doesn't need to "reach a deal" with SJU. Unless he is being sought by another program, I suppose that is possible.

Last edited:
Of course he does lol I never said he needed to reach a deal & said “try to reach a deal” but whatever rocks your boat
I guess I am confused as to why you think Anderson would even “try to reach a deal” when he already has a very lucrative contract in place. But whatever rocks your boat.

Because he's as miserable here as we are watching. :ROFLMAO:
His contract says he gets $10 million if he’s fired (give or take.) Unless he thinks his life would be an absolute living hell if he stayed here, he will call SJUs bluff and let them fire him.

I guess I am confused as to why you think Anderson would even “try to reach a deal” when he already has a very lucrative contract in place. But whatever rocks your boat.

Because as he mentioned, CMA knows it's not working here. For all we know maybe he's miserable here. Or maybe he understands it's time to move on and wants to work out a deal to get our of here rather than remain here another 4 years with poor results.

Because as he mentioned, CMA knows it's not working here. For all we know maybe he's miserable here. Or maybe he understands it's time to move on and wants to work out a deal to get our of here rather than remain here another 4 years with poor results.
Exactly, he's got to work here 4 more years to make that $10mill. If he can walk for $5-8mill and rediscover his joy elsewhere I bet he would go for that.

Exactly, he's got to work here 4 more years to make that $10mill. If he can walk for $5-8mill and rediscover his joy elsewhere I bet he would go for that.
Anderson knows that the admin would not tolerate 4 more years of poor results. At most he would have to put in one more season here before the plug was pulled. He has SJU over a barrel.

Anderson knows that the admin would not tolerate 4 more years of poor results. At most he would have to put in one more season here before the plug was pulled. He has SJU over a barrel.
Maybe he doesn’t even want to be here one more year? Maybe he hates it here and the lack if success and pressure from the fan base has made it unbearable? Who knows? Maybe he’s been contacted by a southern mid major that he likes? No one knows.

Maybe he doesn’t even want to be here one more year? Maybe he hates it here and the lack if success and pressure from the fan base has made it unbearable? Who knows? Maybe he’s been contacted by a southern mid major that he likes? No one knows.
lol Ok, I know he's from the south, but he I'm sure atleast heard how New Yorkers are about their sports.

His contract says he gets $10 million if he’s fired (give or take.) Unless he thinks his life would be an absolute living hell if he stayed here, he will call SJUs bluff and let them fire him.
Let's say that is true about his contract that there is no buy out below the contact terms and he is owed 10 million for the final 4 years of his contract. If he gets fired and is paid the entire 10 million if he accepts a job elsewhere the money he is paid there would be deducted from the 10 million St. John's owed because he obviously could not work 2 similar jobs simultaneously and that is how contract law works unless of course he became a plumber or something like that (my recent involvement with plumbers leads me to believe in a lot of cases it is more lucrative than college coaching). Now say he accepts a buyout of say 8 milllion he gets all of that plus any money he can make coaching elsewhere there is no offset. So depending on what CMA is thinking and planning for his future it may be to his benefit to accept a buyout for less than what he is owed on his contract. Tulsa, Arkansas St. or Podunk U may await CMA.

How unprecedented is it for a coach to negotiate a more reasonable buyout because they feel guilty about doing an awful job and setting the program back, all while already pocketing millions? By likely going 0/4 on the NIT/NCAA, I believe he'll be the first St. John's coach in NINTY YEARS to not participate in a Tournament (did they even have the NIT/NCAA back then?).

I'm not giving him any bonus points for not getting involved in a scandal. The guy got paid several million dollars annually and totally failed at his job. Now he's about to get another $10 million for doing absolutely nothing.

I just hope his buyout doesn't negatively impact our coaching search. As a fan who donates to the school it's frustrating to see how our money is wasted, and if we botch yet another coaching search I will stop donating.

Or maybe it's just better to move on from SJU.

If at any point during this search I hear/see that Pitino wants/wanted to go to SJU, but SJU said no, that will piss me off enough to make me become a fan of the school that Pitino goes to. Unless it's another B.E., I'll can't ever root for a Georgetown or a Providence that's never gonna happen.

How unprecedented is it for a coach to negotiate a more reasonable buyout because they feel guilty about doing an awful job and setting the program back, all while already pocketing millions? By likely going 0/4 on the NIT/NCAA, I believe he'll be the first St. John's coach in NINTY YEARS to not participate in a Tournament (did they even have the NIT/NCAA back then?).

I'm not giving him any bonus points for not getting involved in a scandal. The guy got paid several million dollars annually and totally failed at his job. Now he's about to get another $10 million for doing absolutely nothing.

I just hope his buyout doesn't negatively impact our coaching search. As a fan who donates to the school it's frustrating to see how our money is wasted, and if we botch yet another coaching search I will stop donating.
we have the 4th largest endowment in the big east, we are beggars because we chose to me.

Quick accept 100 more tuition paying students at 46k annually. The marginal cost of adding a student must be minimal. With each payment of that tuition you get a little note from the fans, 3.5M of your added tuition went to your mbb coach. The other 1.1M went somehow to NIL money. Shhhh don’t tell.

Jimmy Sexton already took SJU to the cleaners twice, there's no reason to believe that he's not going to try and do it again. The conversation will go something like this:
Sexton "If you want Mike Anderson gone.....
View attachment FullSizeRender.MOV

Last edited:
Back