Mike Anderson - Former Coach

Downright criminal that this man could get ~$10M for coaching, or not coaching four years. Even if half...it's still criminal.

If no Pitino, let him ride it out to empty crowds angry social media....or can him and pay the lowest $ up & comer coach we can get so the school doesn't make another bad financial decision.
It's a shame that you never hear of a coach being fired for cause. They can get terminated for overt criminal behavior and, sometimes, for NCAA violations, but never for cause. By a number of measurable criteria, Mike Anderson has been a failure:
Record within conference
Big East Tournament record
NCAA post-season appearances/wins
NIT post-season appearances/wins
Number of players transferring out of program
Lawsuit from terminated assistant coach
Attendance at home games
Lost revenue over four years
Highest pay, I believe, in school history, for staff of three assistant coaches and two special advisors, although Mullin's staff may have been more expensive considering the Rohrssen fiasco.

Too bad he was given a lucrative, six-year contract extension, after only two very mediocre years.

It's a shame that you never hear of a coach being fired for cause. They can get terminated for overt criminal behavior and, sometimes, for NCAA violations, but never for cause. By a number of measurable criteria, Mike Anderson has been a failure:
Record within conference
Attendance at home games
Highest pay, I believe, in school history, for staff of three assistant coaches and two special advisors, although Mullin's staff may have been more expensive considering the Rohrssen fiasco.

Too bad he was given a lucrative, six-year contract extension, after only two very mediocre years.
Legally, for cause means unlawful or illegal behavior, like theft, sexual harassment, discrimination, violation of Code of Ethics or Conduct, breach of fiduciary duty, or comparable egregious conduct. Willful and knowing violation of NCAA Rules would qualify. But if your assistants take the fall for you and you did not personally and intentionally violate the Rules, you can’t be fired for cause. Committing acts that would materially tarnish the University’s reputation or brand, such as sex with an assistant’s wife on a restaurant table, would be borderline. So the damage a university’s reputation is a tough standard to meet. Beard beating his wife is a for cause termination. But when the wife recants and denies it occurred, the university can’t prove it really happened, and it winds up paying the coach for a without cause termination. Losing all your games is not for cause. Your employer hired you and if you are incompetent, it’s on the employer. And pay attention, losing all your games because you are an alcoholic or an addict, is not a for cause termination. Instead, you are disabled and need treatment. And as long as you seek treatment, it’s not grounds for a for cause termination. 😎

Dude, you just spent good bandwidth comparing grown men ranging in their 40’s to about 70 with dating girls.

This is disturbing. I mean when I was dating, I never asked a girl out based on how she ran the weave, for example.

I think you would have been better off if you had stopped with the irony about spending time bashing people on a website badmouthing a frustrated teenager.
Kranmars, not asking your potential spouse about her opinions about the weave could cost you a lot of money in the long run. Especially when she tells you 'we should run it exclusively! Also on D, we shouldn't close out on the shooter. the 3 pointer will never catch on, it's better to conserve your energy for more weaving!!' and you ask for a divorce immediately.

Legally, for cause means unlawful or illegal behavior, like theft, sexual harassment, discrimination, violation of Code of Ethics or Conduct, breach of fiduciary duty, or comparable egregious conduct. Willful and knowing violation of NCAA Rules would qualify. But if your assistants take the fall for you and you did not personally and intentionally violate the Rules, you can’t be fired for cause. Committing acts that would materially tarnish the University’s reputation or brand, such as sex with an assistant’s wife on a restaurant table, would be borderline. So the damage a university’s reputation is a tough standard to meet. Beard beating his wife is a for cause termination. But when the wife recants and denies it occurred, the university can’t prove it really happened, and it winds up paying the coach for a without cause termination. Losing all your games is not for cause. Your employer hired you and if you are incompetent, it’s on the employer. And pay attention, losing all your games because you are an alcoholic or an addict, is not a for cause termination. Instead, you are disabled and need treatment. And as long as you seek treatment, it’s not grounds for a for cause termination. 😎
How about insubordination?

If the buyout is too expensive and makes it prohibitive to spend big money on the next coach , then go out and hire Arbitiello from Christ the King. He’d still be a huge upgrade from CMA and will probably be able to hang on to the players we need to hang on to.
I second that idea

Insubordination is for cause only if coach fails to follow School policies. But AD has no right to interfere with coaching and running the basketball program.

Insubordination is for cause only if coach fails to follow School policies. But AD has no right to interfere with coaching and running the basketball program.
I was thinking if CMA was told by AD to fire assistant coaches And failed to do same.

Record within conference
Attendance at home games

You forget to mention the many issues he’s had with players. It still amazes me how anyone can support this man as a coach whose 4 years here can only be described as an abject failure. Add to that an incompetent AD who gave him a lucrative extension that puts the school in a financial bind and yet there are misguided posters who actually believe he’s done a good job 🤪.

The talent gap CTK gets compared to the rest of their comp could never be achieved at St. John’s vs the rest of BE schools. Take that into consideration when thinking arbetillo could do well here. Personally, I think it would be a disaster. Only seen a handfull of CTK games but never got the impression they were a well coached team.

Assuming no miracle finish and a coaching change is going to be made, my first choice would be Mack if he's interested in going back to Big East. After that, I'd be fine with any of Langel, Claxton, Becker, Holtman or Brandin Knight. Feel Brey's best days are behind him and not interested in Grasso or Jones. Don't see Boynton or Pitino coming here, for different reasons.

The only HS coach that I would have been behind was Hurley Sr., especially after the Jarvis fiasco.

I think he would have brought instant respectability, discipline, and competitive effort all the while being really darn good at the X’s and O’s.

I believe the basketball community would have quietly applauded a move like that.

Arbitiello on the other hand not so much. I think he would fail pretty badly, and ultimately become another bad hire. He has built in advantages many HS do not.

Of course he would then never allow one of his players to even sniff SJU.

The only HS coach that I would have been behind was Hurley Sr., especially after the Jarvis fiasco.

I think he would have brought instant respectability, discipline, and competitive effort all the while being really darn good at the X’s and O’s.

I believe the basketball community would have quietly applauded a move like that.

Arbitiello on the other hand not so much. I think he would fail pretty badly, and ultimately become another bad hire. He has built in advantages many HS do not.

Of course he would then never allow one of his players to even sniff SJU.
That has a Bob Wade-to-Maryland scenario written all over it. See how that turned out for the Terps...

The talent gap CTK gets compared to the rest of their comp could never be achieved at St. John’s vs the rest of BE schools. Take that into consideration when thinking arbetillo could do well here. Personally, I think it would be a disaster. Only seen a handfull of CTK games but never got the impression they were a well coached team.
He's also not interested, WHATSOEVER, of coaching at the college level.

I've had my eyes on Becker ever since Vermont upset our very talented 19' group in Queens. Much like Langel, I'm skeptical on how their respective personalities would mesh on selling an inner city NY brand to prospective recruits, local fans and donors alike. We have clearly seen with Anderson that as much as he has engaged himself within the NY fabric he's not a local guy by any stretch and we all see right through the sales pitch, his personality hasn't meshed at all. Our current brand can turn on a dime with a professional tactician who recruits players that fit their respective systems, but it would be painful initially to overturn. Winning of course solves all of these minute qualifications.

Fran McCaffery is the closest fit IMO to a stabilizing, professional, system driven coach who can sell to fans and implement his style. He convinced a Hayes kid Joe Touissant to leave NY for Iowa City so I'm not concerned there. He's well worth a look if interested in returning back to the Northeast.

Last edited:
Hurley Sr

unrelated, but noteworthy is that Danny Hurley is not the only Big East coach to have had a legendary high school boys basketball coach.

Sean Miller’s dad, John Miller retired in 2005 recording a 657–280 over his thirty-five-year career, making him one of the winningest coaches in high school basketball history, which included a postseason mark of 104-29. Eight WPIAL championships, second most in WPIAL history. Four state championships, which ties him for second most by a WPIAL coach. A WPIAL record of 16 consecutive section titles (1990-2003). A 111-game winning streak in section play (1990-99), another WPIAL record.

You forget to mention the many issues he’s had with players. It still amazes me how anyone can support this man as a coach whose 4 years here can only be described as an abject failure. Add to that an incompetent AD who gave him a lucrative extension that puts the school in a financial bind and yet there are misguided posters who actually believe he’s done a good job 🤪.
I have no idea whether Cragg has done an overall good job as the AD. I know that he's done a horrible job with the basketball program. I'm still waiting for someone, anyone, to give me a list of Cragg's accomplishments as AD. I'm not saying that he doesn't have any(or maybe he doesn't), I'd just like to know what they are. Oh and the fact that he's an upgrade(maybe) over Goff is not an "accomplishment". Besides, the basketball program did better under Goff.

I have no idea whether Cragg has done an overall good job as the AD. I know that he's done a horrible job with the basketball program. I'm still waiting for someone, anyone, to give me a list of Cragg's accomplishments as AD. I'm not saying that he doesn't have any(or maybe he doesn't), I'd just like to know what they are. Oh and the fact that he's an upgrade(maybe) over Goff is not an "accomplishment". Besides, the basketball program did better under Goff.
I am pretty sure he gets paid more then Goff.

Tulsa hired a new coach before this season so I think that opportunity has passed.
the guy they hired had great success at La Tech, but has flamed out this year, as Tulsa is 5-12, 1-14 in conference.

Konkol, 45, came to Tulsa following seven seasons at LA Tech, where he compiled a 153-75 record. He won 46 games in his first two seasons, the most for any previous LA Tech head coach, and his 153 career victories is the third-highest win total in school history. Konkol’s teams produced six seasons with 20+ wins and finished among the top 3 in Conference USA standings five of his seven years.

Back