Mike Anderson - Former Coach

If they can force Joe Lapchick out what did Linfonte expect?
The difference is that Lapchick had to retire due to St John's mandatory retirement age of 65 at the time
Obviously, that wouldn't fly in today's world - there would be an ageism lawsuit filed immediately
Linfonte wasn't subjected to an age forced retirement

Seems to me only way Johnnies can dance w/o winning the BET is to go 5-0. Query if they were to win 4 of their last 5 and be a solid NIT team, would CMA return? I'd say very likely and I'd be ok with it.

Seems to me only way Johnnies can dance w/o winning the BET is to go 5-0. Query if they were to win 4 of their last 5 and be a solid NIT team, would CMA return? I'd say very likely and I'd be ok with it.
NCJ I agree that any improvement and CMA is back. Don't even think it would need to be 4 of 5. When you say that you'd be ok with CMA coming back, do you still have faith that he can right this ship?

NCJ I agree that any improvement and CMA is back. Don't even think it would need to be 4 of 5. When you say that you'd be ok with CMA coming back, do you still have faith that he can right this ship?
Here's the thing in my mind Monte. On the one hand, CMA does not inspire confidence from an x's and o's perspective, no doubt about that. You and I disagree about his ability to recruit Big East level talent. While I can't say he inspires my confidence that he is the ultimate answer, at this point if he can win 19 games this year I'd be hard pressed to say he should be let go. Thats a weasley answer I know.

Here's the thing in my mind Monte. On the one hand, CMA does not inspire confidence from an x's and o's perspective, no doubt about that. You and I disagree about his ability to recruit Big East level talent. While I can't say he inspires my confidence that he is the ultimate answer, at this point if he can win 19 games this year I'd be hard pressed to say he should be let go. Thats a weasley answer I know.
Not weasley at all. Thanks

I think he recruits well enough for the BE but I don’t think he’s coached them well enough. Idt that changes so I think it’s time to move on.

Congrats to CMA...

With 4 games left in reg season, and a 16-11 record, even if he'd lose out with a Wed. night exit in BET, he'll retain his streak of no losing seasons. Huge accomplishment...lol

I think he recruits well enough for the BE but I don’t think he’s coached them well enough. Idt that changes so I think it’s time to move on.
If there's even a sliver of a doubt of whether it's time to move on, I say the school gives him another year. I've said all along that we would have had to have had a disastrous season for Cragg/Shanley to make a change. A 7th place +/- finish in the Big East, and an NIT Bid(assuming) is not a "disastrous" season in their minds. We'll see.

The people who are talking up the fact that the "non losing season" streak is now safe because of last night's win are really inadvertently insulting him.

So the argument is that if they lose out and lose in the first round of BET the worst they can finish is 16-16. That is true.

Of course that assumes they don't play anymore games. Meaning they don't qualify for the NIT or NCAA because they are not good enough. So he preserves that stupid stat because the team is not good enough to qualify for a post-season tourney? I don't think that is the argument that people defending Anderson want to make out loud.

The people who are talking up the fact that the "non losing season" streak is now safe because of last night's win are really inadvertently insulting him.

So the argument is that if they lose out and lose in the first round of BET the worst they can finish is 16-16. That is true.

Of course that assumes they don't play anymore games. Meaning they don't qualify for the NIT or NCAA because they are not good enough. So he preserves that stupid stat because the team is not good enough to qualify for a post-season tourney? I don't think that is the argument that people defending Anderson want to make out loud.

It truly is an unbelievable accomplishment. CMA purposely waited until Florida State and Syracuse were both bad to schedule them, which is genius!

Scheduling powerhouses for the first 12 games just shows how this is truly an accomplishment to be proud of. It is truly deserving of 4 more years in and of itself...

I think most of the folks bring up Anderson keeping his record of never having a losing season are being sarcastic.

Sure it is a worthy accomplishment for someone who has coached for as long as Anderson has. But for us SJU fans, it does not mean much.

The only streak we care about is the 22 years since the last time SJU won an NCAA tournament game, which will unfortunately continue.

I think most of the folks bring up Anderson keeping his record of never having a losing season are being sarcastic.

Sure it is a worthy accomplishment for someone who has coached for as long as Anderson has. But for us SJU fans, it does not mean much.

The only streak we care about is the 22 years since the last time SJU won an NCAA tournament game, which will unfortunately continue.
Of course some on social media do use it as a defense of him.

Back