Mike Anderson - Former Coach

Travesty if this is the main/only reason we pass, yet Iona & possibly Gtown, two other catholic schools would be able to get past it

Perhaps too many on board whole might be good business people in respective fields, don't have a clue on the state of college ball, our stsnding in it, what generates demand and interest and what would be a bold but needed move vs. playing things safe and continuing the downward spiral with no answers in sight.

Basketball is an unethical business that’s for sure. But none of the other hires by BE schools are similar to possibly hiring Pitino. Yes the unethical recruiting practices might be the same but Pitino does have some additional baggage that goes against some moral values that some might have. To say their values are wrong because the majority wants to hire a great basketball coach doesn’t make sense to me. Sure all can forgive him but that doesn’t mean he should be hired.
I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying. No doubt there are plenty of legit reasons to not hire Pitino, but there are also plenty of legit reasons to hire him, especially if the school gives a damn about the long suffering fan base.

Some of you guys really make me laugh when you talk about what will happen to the school's "reputation" if Pitino were to be hired. You guys really think that anyone who doesn't follow college basketball even knows who Pitino is??? And you guys really think that the large majority of people who know who Rick Pitino is are going to be appalled if we hire him??? No, the large majority of people who know who Rick Pitino is are going to be saying "holy crap, SJU just landed one of the greatest coaches of all time. They're back!!!". It's a very small minority of people who are hung up on all the other stuff. I'm just hoping the small minority doesn't including a couple of guys named Shanley and Cragg, and not to many of the BOT.

Well that’s the issue, the people that are hung up on this are on the BOT.

I have avoided the Pitino discussion / debate for a host of reasons. 1 being we have a coach who despite his coaching shortcomings is a good man who continues to work a lot harder than his 2 predecessors and deserves respect. Number 2 my opinion is solely my opinion and I like everyone else on this board with the exception of 1 outstanding individual will have zero influence with the decision. Number 3 we all k ow from past history that the school will do everything g to avoid a public scandal. They did their best to avoid it with Father Harrington, Celia Chang and with Slice. So I am fully aware that we are a Catholic University that strives to uphold higher values which I fully respect.
Having said that I ask myself which potential coach out there excites me the most. Which potential coach would I pay $500 to hear speak or golf with or have spaghetti dinner with in the company of 999 others , unfortunately there is only 1 such name and it is Rick Pitino.

Random point.

On Twitter, over the past few weeks, I noticed Ron Linfonte doesn't hesitate to re-tweet some pretty negative posts about the program and coaching staff. I also remember the timing of his announcement to retire was surprising (at least to me) as it was shortly before the start of the 2020 season.

Perhaps there is no love lost there.

Random point.

On Twitter, over the past few weeks, I noticed Ron Linfonte doesn't hesitate to re-tweet some pretty negative posts about the program and coaching staff. I also remember the timing of his announcement to retire was surprising (at least to me) as it was shortly before the start of the 2020 season.

Perhaps there is no love loss there.
There isn’t

Random point.

Perhaps there is no love lost there.
Maybe Dave or Mase can have Linfonte and DeMeo on their podcasts.

Maybe Dave or Mase can have Linfonte and DeMeo on their podcasts.
Lol funny enough Ron Linfonte for some reason has me blocked on Twitter? I’ve never had an interaction with him in my life that I can remember. Randomly saw it the other day when someone posted a picture of a tweet he had. But yeah I would like to hear his perspective

Back