Mike Anderson - Former Coach

Exactly Knight. As I said before, I was not for hiring him last time around, but he's done his penance and should be forgiven by SJU for his past trangressions
I’m open to an interview.

My two cents, someone will step up to cover the eight million stories in the naked city and then there will
be an all out effort to get Billy Donavan.

I am not casting any stones, but you are. I am simply saying that you cannot ignore the fact that the school is a Catholic University and that past boards (I know from experience) thought that meant something. Thus, not hiring him in the past. If the board composition has changed (though there are still a large number of faithful, wealthy Catholics on the board and some clergy), then you could get a different result. The number of non-Catholic students at the school is irrelevant for this discussion. That has no bearing on the Catholic affiliation and the Catholic tenants that would govern decision making. But, do not expect it. And, simply because one administrator did bad things does not equate to hypocrisy on the part of the university, unless you cite specific things that they ignored once they knew about it (you haven't). While forgiveness and redemption are Catholic values, that does not equate to having to hire someone who may be viewed as not a good role model. You needn't agree to pay someone millions of dollars to prove that you think that that person is worthy of forgiveness or can be redeemed. Unless you look at it SOLELY through a basketball lense. While we, as die hard fans of the program may want to look at it purely as a basketball decision, for the board it
Hello

I think there is at least a 50% chance CMA is here next year. If we beat Butler, DePaul and G'town down the stretch you can probably take it to the bank. Unless Pitino wants the job. I can’t see another elite high-major coach coming here and I can’t see SJU coughing up CMA’s buyout for a mid-major hire.
I think there’s about a zero % chance at this point. This is a level of bad SJU didn’t even see under Lavin or Mullin. I’m sure Cragg and Shanley are well aware that if you brought back CMA after this debacle of a season, all of the goodwill is gone. They would be lucky to average a couple thousand fans at home games.

I still don’t see Pitino coming here. But at this point, a change has to be made and if that means taking a coach from a mid major school, then so be it. Better than watching this garbage.

If Anderson is back next year, I think we can reasonably conclude that consistently contending for Big East championships and NCAA tournament berths is not a priority at St. John's. No one who has watched the past two seasons can reasonably claim that a team coached by Mike Anderson (at least the Mike Anderson of today, I cannot speak to the Mizzou and Arkansas versions) can get us there.

I go back to this... Mullin's last team (which was a good team, not a great one) was so much better than this team it's not even close. They would rout this team by 20 points. So if this is the talent Mike Anderson can compile in his fourth year - with the portal at his disposal and the ability to retool on the fly - then where are we exactly? We will be a Big East bottom feeder for as long as he is here.

One will get you 5 that we will be disappointed with whomever this crackerjack organization brings in...

Unless we make some sort of miracle run then I surmise he's done posting here. I don't doubt he may show up at seasons end to say his peace.
Will probably say we don’t deserve CMA and he would be right just not in the way he intended.

Back