Mets 2024 Season

His contract comes out to $20 mill per year. By the end of it, I'm sure that $ will be way less than what the qualifying offer is (currently its $19 mill). I think its a fine deal, assuming he moves to left field for the last couple of years. With Cohen, his $20 mill won't restrict us in any way. It'll be a drop in the bucket.
Yup. At some point he moves to a corner where he will be less effective at least from traditional power. I still think it was a good sign.

I have to disagree with you there. Nimmo was a 4.7WAR player. Consistently in the top 10 in OPS+. He also was about 600 ABs the last two seasons. Nimmo seems part of the solution and not the problem.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/war/leaders/_/type/offensive/year/2023

I assume you don’t like the length? (8 years)
The length and health concerns are the issue. I’ve been a big advocate for Nimmo throughout his career because his absurd OBP brings value to a premier defensive position.

I wanted him back for the right price last year, but that contract certainly wasn’t it IMO. This is a young man’s game now after the increased PED testing and the last 4 years of that deal will be disgusting.

The length and health concerns are the issue. I’ve been a big advocate for Nimmo throughout his career because his absurd OBP brings value to a premier defensive position.

I wanted him back for the right price last year, but that contract certainly wasn’t it IMO. This is a young man’s game now after the increased PED testing and the last 4 years of that deal will be disgusting.
Time will tell. That’s always the risk. I do think with Cohen it does impact long term signings. He can eat a couple of years on the back end IF he wants too. Another advantage of a deep pocket owner.

Time will tell. That’s always the risk. I do think with Cohen it does impact long term signings. He can eat a couple of years on the back end IF he wants too. Another advantage of a deep pocket owner.
Uncle Steve’s checkbook could cover some bad deals, but you still want to find value.

There is a right way to do things…the Braves would have locked Nimmo up early to a team friendly deal or let him walk like they did with Swanson. Getting into bidding wars to retain your own players is a losing strategy.

The same with Alonso. Austin Riley signed to a team friendly deal two seasons ago and you won’t find a better comp for Alonso. Now, they’ll have to win a bidding war for him and far higher than what the Braves played for Riley — who is likely the superior player.

Not trying to be critical but that's what drugs will do to your body. God bless you, Darryl and wishing you a speedy recovery. Thank you for all the great moments that you gave us all.
Yeah, he & Doc paying the price. Once ran into Darryl at a Bernie Williams concert. He noted Bernie was a huge part of saving his life. Bernie is such an under appreciated human being.

JD Martinez 1 yr $12M lots of deferrals to the Mets. Legit veteran bat to protect Pete in the lineup. Not bad. Makes them dangerous offensively. Pitching? Not so much. We’ll see
Much needed. Looks like Vientos will start in AAA.

JD Martinez 1 yr $12M lots of deferrals to the Mets. Legit veteran bat to protect Pete in the lineup. Not bad. Makes them dangerous offensively. Pitching? Not so much. We’ll see
Always worry about players his age signing so late and what that can mean for injuries or a slow start. Hopefully he’s been staying in shape.

Always worry about players his age signing so late and what that can mean for injuries or a slow start. Hopefully he’s been staying in shape.
Probably a good thing he doesn’t play a position. (DH) Of course, oblique injury is something to worry about. He has been swinging at Driveline from what I’ve heard. No idea how long it will take him to be ready.

Probably a good thing he doesn’t play a position. (DH) Of course, oblique injury is something to worry about. He has been swinging at Driveline from what I’ve heard. No idea how long it will take him to be ready.
Martinez will probably go through an extended spring training while getting ready.

It was a very good signing. He had a monster year last year, and if he comes close to last year’s numbers, the Mets have a great 3-4 in their lineup.

Not to mention, after this signing, Boras probably put Cohen on top of his Christmas card list because Alonso suddenly has protection in the middle of the order during a contract year.

Martinez will probably go through an extended spring training while getting ready.

It was a very good signing. He had a monster year last year, and if he comes close to last year’s numbers, the Mets have a great 3-4 in their lineup.

Not to mention, after this signing, Boras probably put Cohen on top of his Christmas card list because Alonso suddenly has protection in the middle of the order during a contract year.
I heard April 8 is the earliest. Game one of Mets/Braves series. I wouldn’t rush him. He’s older and it’s a long season. Gives us hope.SP is still a major issue. Bullpen, defense and offense should all be improved.

Alonso had the most non-strikes thrown to him in MLB (may not be true, but sure felt like it). JD should help.

I am going to Saturday's game. Want to go tomorrow but it sounds really cold. Anyone going?

Back