Mets 2024 Season

The more I think about the more I think Jake has a great agent to get him the 5 year deal. Mets would have been fiscally irresponsible if they went beyond 3 years. When you look at the last 3 years, Jake's arm problems have been highligthed. He had Tommy John surgery back when he was in the minors. Having pitched in only 38 games over the last 3 seasons and contributed 16 wins and averaging 6 innings per start and seeing his home run totals up this past season adds up to a lot of worries. Buck was very judicious in his use of Jake and they will have to handle him similarly in Texas. Don't know what kind of bullpen texas has but they better raise the quality.

I'm bummed to see Jake go I absolutely loved seeing him pitch. The problem is I hardly saw him pitch. 5 years is insane. Best of luck to him but I'm rooting against the rangers now
Except when he is pitching against the Yankees.

I love how some bedraggled Mets fans are ranting and raving against DeGrom.

I'd give him a standing ovation upon his return.
He was the most electric Met this side of Gooden. His starts were events because we were watching someone do something better than anyone else on the planet.

How special was that? I'll miss him tremendously.

I hope the team does not overreact and spend crazy money on Verlander or Rondon. Take this opportunity to reset your salary structure don't over pay for Nimmo. Spend on bullpen and lineup which is cheaper than starting pitching. Starting pitching is way overpriced in a world where the starters typically pitch 5/6 innings. Most importantly don't spend so high on what is out there now and not be able to spend on opportunities down the road. Best to jake but crazy terms for a guy who threw 220 or so innings the last three years combined.

I hope the team does not overreact and spend crazy money on Verlander or Rondon. Take this opportunity to reset your salary structure don't over pay for Nimmo. Spend on bullpen and lineup which is cheaper than starting pitching. Starting pitching is way overpriced in a world where the starters typically pitch 5/6 innings. Most importantly don't spend so high on what is out there now and not be able to spend on opportunities down the road. Best to jake but crazy terms for a guy who threw 220 or so innings the last three years combined.
Personally I'd absolutely pay up for Verlander to win now because I doubt it would be more than 3 year deal

Personally I'd absolutely pay up for Verlander to win now because I doubt it would be more than 3 year deal
would prefer to not go way over salary tier thresholds to build around two 40 year old starters, but I do think Verlander is motivated to win 300 games and he is 56 away.

Kate is landing in NY. You know I was her first love and I broke her heart....

I'm afraid the Mets are looking like the Nets when they got KG and Pierce...I pray not so though!

Like the fact that Max and Verlander are now both on 2 year deals so money will be freed up quickly. Now let's get Bassett back and build the front end of the bullpen
I read a couple of things today that surprised me. Max can opt out after this year and Bassett is looking for five years. I wouldn't be comfortable with that.

Getting a Verlander for 2 years with an option is a great deal.

Some people forget Steve Cohen owns the team. After the contract is up, they will go out and get another starter. In the past, if the Mets didn’t get deGrom they’d get no one or sign someone or deGrom for 5 years and then get stuck with an expensive or injured player.

Does Uncle Steve get us another Christmas or Hanukkah present in the next few weeks ?

I hope so! Another offensive bat would be nice!
Greg, I totally agree. The Mets seem obsessed with pitching. Fair enough, we still need another starter AND bullpen given the FAs we have.

I think Nimmo is a pretty good ballplayer. Sadly I think he’s leaving. We can all disagree to how much he’s worth but…We were short offensively with him. I get they are probably banking on Baty and Alvarez providing some more offense but that seems risky for a team with “win now” aspirations.

Greg, I totally agree. The Mets seem obsessed with pitching. Fair enough, we still need another starter AND bullpen given the FAs we have.

I think Nimmo is a pretty good ballplayer. Sadly I think he’s leaving. We can all disagree to how much he’s worth but…We were short offensively with him. I get they are probably banking on Baty and Alvarez providing some more offense but that seems risky for a team with “win now” aspirations.
I really like Nimmo. He has developed into a very good player which is why he probably won't return. We need to replace him in some capacity and the name I keep hearing is Benitendi. Besides not having a true centerfielder it doesn't solve our power problem. We have to hope that Alvarez and or Baty can help us there. Still a lot of time to see what we do.

Back