Marquette (MSG), Sat., Jan. 20, 12 Noon, FOX

I think you're both right, but I think Dingle being out may force him to play more. We don't really have another ball handler on the roster
Agree 100%. Dingle is a key guard whether starting or first off the bench. I like Witcher more than others but he still plays scared and I don't think that is changing any time soon. I think we need either Dunlap or Taylor to knock down a few shots and better/smarter play from Soriano and Luis. I will leave Jenkins out of this for now.

Wilcher has to be more decisive, less dribbling and shoot more. He has a gear no one else on the team has with speed and being able to take a defender off the dribble but he tends to over dribble. Pull up kid shoot it when you got the look!

I think he could see some more minutes but Marquette's HAVOC defense is a tough test for sure.

But good news is Chase Ross is out for Marquette who is arguably their best defender.

Agree 100%. Dingle is a key guard whether starting or first off the bench. I like Witcher more than others but he still plays scared and I don't think that is changing any time soon. I think we need either Dunlap or Taylor to knock down a few shots and better/smarter play from Soriano and Luis. I will leave Jenkins out of this for now.
I think Wilcher needs to be able to provide us 8-10 survivable minutes tomorrow, especially if Jenkins gets in foul trouble.

The +/- has to be even. He can't do the lazy cross court passes and play & react more than think.

Last edited:
I think Wilcher needs to be able to provide us 8-10 survivable minutes tomorrow, especially if Jenkins gets in foul trouble.

The +/- has to be even. He can't do the lazy cross court passes and play & react more than think.
Good point dk. Jenkins really has to watch those weak reach in fouls. We can’t afford them tomorrow. Just play tough D and stay in front of your man.

and the post of the month goes to Notanalum! WELL SAID. So its just Rick and Mas? So imagine if Rich and Mas both get tossed out of the game who then is in charge? LOL
Let's get Panther on the bench for the game to help if needed.

I got someone else in mind to put on the bench who's sole job is to work the refs over

Team, against Marquette:

On defense, Please don't defend with your hands and arms, but with your legs and feet.🚫

On offense, Work the ball around and no lazy telegraphed passes. 💯

PLEASE, these offenses were committed innumerable times versus Seton Hall.:mad:

Onto Victory over the Golden Eagles.✌️

Not an absolute must win game(to early for that) , but as close as we've come to a must win game so far this season. Let's call it a "pivotal game" that could define the rest of our season. I don't want us going against Nova on Wednesday reeling. They'll be looking to exact some revenge and will be pumped. Let's get back to playing smart ball, and let's come away with a W tomorrow. I'm betting on it...literally.

3 assistants out just Rick and Mas on the sideline. Imagine if that was Coach Mullin, he would of been forced to actually coach lol. Dinkins being out doesnt bother me really. Remember wilcher is just a freshman so give the kid a break will ya. But seriously though if all coaches had covid who would run the team? Dont think that has ever happened in college bball but with covid ya never know

Wilcher has to be more decisive, less dribbling and shoot more. He has a gear no one else on the team has with speed and being able to take a defender off the dribble but he tends to over dribble. Pull up kid shoot it when you got the look!

I think he could see some more minutes but Marquette's HAVOC defense is a tough test for sure.

But good news is Chase Ross is out for Marquette who is arguably their best defender.

He's clearly overthinking on the court and not playing within the flow of the offense. It's going to take some time to build that up going into next year.

... He has a gear no one else on the team has with speed and being able to take a defender off the dribble but he tends to over dribble.
I have watched a lot of St Johns this year... but i Know you have watched more, you have to with the analysis you provide....

But I have not seen Sim take ANYone to the rack off the dribble- and excluding what would have been an IMPRESSIVE slam that Zuby fouled him on during the Open Scrimmage... I have not seen an ounce of Explosiveness that he was billed to have...

Combining that with the lazy passes made in the Creighton game killing our MO (he looked good otherwise making 2? jumpers) - Sim has sadly a had a very disappointing start to his SJU career given the notoriety he came here with...

Can't wait to watch his improvement and see him turn it around... but need A LOT more effort from him... get on the floor... get those loose balls.

Sim is super fast in person. (edit: I forgot Luis. He's most athletic) He's definitely on a different tier of athlete from anyone else on the team (Zuby being 2nd most athletic). He had a couple of good possessions on defense against Richmond and had no problem staying in front of him. The thing that is flummoxing is that he plays slow on offense.

Last edited:
Sim is super fast in person. He's definitely on a different tier of athlete from anyone else on the team (Zuby being 2nd most athletic). He had a couple of good possessions on defense against Richmond and had no problem staying in front of him. The thing that is flummoxing is that he plays slow on offense.
Richmond?

I have watched a lot of St Johns this year... but i Know you have watched more, you have to with the analysis you provide....

But I have not seen Sim take ANYone to the rack off the dribble- and excluding what would have been an IMPRESSIVE slam that Zuby fouled him on during the Open Scrimmage... I have not seen an ounce of Explosiveness that he was billed to have...

Combining that with the lazy passes made in the Creighton game killing our MO (he looked good otherwise making 2? jumpers) - Sim has sadly a had a very disappointing start to his SJU career given the notoriety he came here with...

Can't wait to watch his improvement and see him turn it around... but need A LOT more effort from him... get on the floor... get those loose balls.
That's why it's never good to put too much credence in advanced billing by the so called "experts", and that includes the self-appointed experts on this board who almost always overhype kids that they've either barely seen play, or never seen play.

Sim is super fast in person. He's definitely on a different tier of athlete from anyone else on the team (Zuby being 2nd most athletic). He had a couple of good possessions on defense against Richmond and had no problem staying in front of him. The thing that is flummoxing is that he plays slow on offense.
Umm, RJ Luis?

Honestly think he will get very modest minutes during BE season unless we run into some guard injuries. Hopefully he takes full advantage of coaching and practice time to prepare for next season.
Agree that Wilcher has been disappointing. Hoping that by putting on weight, getting stronger, coaching and practice time that he will show significant improvement next year. No excuse for his "lob passes" and not grabbing 50-50 balls. Not giving up on him at all but from current performance it's surprising that he was a UNC recruit.

Back