Marquette (MSG), Sat., Jan. 20, 12 Noon, FOX

I never made the case that this team gives 100% effort 100% of the time, I just think a lot of times fans can equate "effort" to whether or not we are winning or losing. Just because maybe you don't do that, doesn't mean I haven't seen it in abundance from St Johns fans on here and twitter in the past.

Teams are going to get layups and open 3s sometimes. It happens, but our defense has improved this year despite the fact that we are undermanned on defense at the guard position. In fact I don't know if anyone on the roster besides Alleyne is even equipped to stay in front of opposing guards. Jenkins cant. Dingle cant. Wilcher usually can't although last game did a decent job.

When your guards are constantly getting beat off the dribble, the whole defense enters scramble mode. Which leads to a lot of good looks for a smart and well organized offense that is ready to break us down. Thats why someone like Kolek had his way with us. and why good/quick/smart guards will continue to have their way with us. I see it as way more of a personnel issue than I see it as an effort issue.

Jenkins is certainly trying to stay in front of opposing guards, he just simply isn't that good at it. Dingle is even worse at it. Thats our starting backcourt for the foreseeable future now until Alleyne is alright.
I agree the guards are not keeping people in front of them but I am not sure I agree with “they can’t” but I don’t have anything to refute the statement. But I do think their biggest issue is getting off balance looking for steals. As for uncontested layups and open 3’s they should be the rarity, the exception, not the norm for the majority of a half.

I agree the guards are not keeping people in front of them but I am not sure I agree with “they can’t” but I don’t have anything to refute the statement. But I do think their biggest issue is getting off balance looking for steals. As for uncontested layups and open 3’s they should be the rarity, the exception, not the norm for the majority of a half.
This team does way too much reaching on defense causing them to commit cheap fouls and also subsequently causes them to be out of position and then their goes around them. They have to stop reaching so much and just keep your man in front of you.

Yea this is spot on. We tend to fixate on the last few games here and fail to realize that it is a long season

I’m especially noticing this with this narrative starting to arise that we don’t play hard for 40 minutes.

Was anyone saying that when we beat Butler, Xavier and Nova and never trailed in 120 minutes of basketball?

We lose a couple close games (against better competition) and one blowout without our coach and suddenly everyone’s got our team all figured out I guess.

Like you said, ebbs and flows
If it weren’t for the way we lost to SH, I believe the # of “sky is falling posts” would be much less. I trekked to the Pru that night and was shell shocked. But look at that game as a fluke.

If it weren’t for the way we lost to SH, I believe the # of “sky is falling posts” would be much less. I trekked to the Pru that night and was shell shocked. But look at that game as a fluke.
I don’t see many “sky is falling posts”, rather a concern, after what you call a “fluke” contest v SH, that included a 28-0 run for them. The antidote was hopefully going to be a strong, well played game and home win. The fact is Saturday’s loss included blowing a first half lead and once again allowing a big run of 15-0 for M’Q. You could attribute both runs to defensive lapses and lack of concentration. In response from what I read, no one is throwing in towel, but just concerned. It is not panic to feel this team will have to bring it every game and defend their tails off to succeed. Imo, less than that will result in much more disappointment. Hopefully we’ll see that effort, concentration and smart play Wed & get a W.

I don’t see many “sky is falling posts”, rather a concern, after what you call a “fluke” contest v SH, that included a 28-0 run for them. The antidote was hopefully going to be a strong, well played game and home win. The fact is Saturday’s loss included blowing a first half lead and once again allowing a big run of 15-0 for M’Q. You could attribute both runs to defensive lapses and lack of concentration. In response from what I read, no one is throwing in towel, but just concerned. It is not panic to feel this team will have to bring it every game and defend their tails off to succeed. Imo, less than that will result in much more disappointment. Hopefully we’ll see that effort, concentration and smart play Wed & get a W.
Any of our posters who had the “sky is falling” mentality got it out of their system an hour after the game ended

Even I personally feel like I’m most irrational when the game just ends. Sometimes just need some time to cool off and sleep on the loss haha

Any of our posters who had the “sky is falling” mentality got it out of their system an hour after the game ended
I had the "sky is falling" mentality an hour before we hired Pitino and an hour after we hired Pitino. I had it an hour before we went 4 and 1 and an hour after we went 4 and 4. It never leaves. I carry it around with me at all times like my love handles and bottle of Jack Daniels.

Playing Soriano and Zbuy together probably won’t work because it will put more pressure on Jenkins to provide scoring. Soriano seems to have regressed since the start of the big east and Zuby is just not an offensive threat.
The move to play them together could work if Dingle could get out of his funk and start providing some offense to take some of Jenkins responsibilities.
Zuby has become an offensive threat lately. If they started to do this weeks ago , they could work out kinks an d make it work long term. Just doing it once guarantees nothing. If you dont try you can never make it work. If you leave it on the table, you lose period!

Zuby has become an offensive threat lately. If they started to do this weeks ago , they could work out kinks an d make it work long term. Just doing it once guarantees nothing. If you dont try you can never make it work. If you leave it on the table, you lose period!
Threat?

Back