Marquette (MSG), Sat., Jan. 20, 12 Noon, FOX

It’s a good thing we play one game at a time.

Honestly even if we beat Nova, we will still have to prove we can beat UConn, Creighton, Hall, Marq types. Can’t make NCAAT only beating mediocre to bad teams in conf.
Sorry, but this is just plain wrong. Yes, we’re a safe seed if we sweep Nova, Xavier, Butler, Prov, and everyone but the 4 teams you name. (Still would like to bite at least one of those in our play back games, especially Creighton or the Hall when we play them at home.)

Yes we’ve been very unlucky. Yes Pitino usually makes big jump in yr 2. But you have to remember we haven’t won NCAAT game in 23 yrs, haven’t made main draw in about 10 yrs, haven’t gotten to championship game of BET in 20+ yrs, etc. We simply must win our share of these games no excuses. I used to buy single tickets to the games I wanted to go to in past 13-14 yrs I’ve been a fan.

After Pitino hire I finally went all in and dropped $1200 on MSG package. That’s not a small chunk of change for most people. The investment has not been met with any real returns thus far (obv will see how season plays out), but is it any wonder we lost a whole generation after 23+ yrs of this? If we miss the NCAAT I’m likely not renewing next yr. I’m quickly approaching the point where the program will need to show me something (ranked, BET champs, win NCAAT game, big OOC wins, etc) before I invest heavily again. Obv when I say invest I don’t mean in the business sense but it is a defacto investment of time, $, hoping for something to celebrate, etc.
very similar situation. 87 grad kept season tics till kids came along. My buddy and I went full in on the same

It’s been enjoyable at times. Meeting the regulars Attending 1870 But would love one of these close ones

The crowd would have erupted similar to Pitt game

Let’s get a w Wednesday night!
Go Johnnies

Sorry, but this is just plain wrong. Yes, we’re a safe seed if we sweep Nova, Xavier, Butler, Prov, and everyone but the 4 teams you name. (Still would like to bite at least one of those in our play back games, especially Creighton or the Hall when we play them at home.)
Hope so, but are you really confident we can beat a Nova with Moore back & angry, sneaky X, and a PC team that almost beat us without Hop at MSG? I’m really not after these last 3 L’s. I see 2-2 in those you listed.

Kind of amazed at some of the second guessing going on, 4 seconds to go the length of the court, you take a shot when it shows, period end of story. So Jenkins was supposed to know there was a second and a half left and decide to dribble IN to the defense in hope of getting a dribble closer. Really????
I realize the guy is a polarizing player although I personally think that is nonsense but man, I can only imagine the hand wringing if he put the ball on the floor and didn’t even get a shot off. Pitino drew up a play, it was run, they got a decent shot off and it didn’t go, but that is NOT what lost the game. As has been the norm for this team, long stretches of uninspired effort, primarily on defense, is THE recurring weakness.
Your Amazed at second guessing on this Board ? It’s nearly on every other post . It’s what fans do . It doesn’t mean anyone is less a fan .

It’s , of course pure speculation but , 1.5 seconds is often enough to do a lot of stuff at end of games .

I happen to be a Jenkins supporter and where would we be , without him ?

We are all Arm Chair QB’s on here and playing what if , doesn’t do any arm .

It was a good look and just didn’t go in .

See Luis shoots a lot and takes bad shots but makes them. That is the difference between him and Jenkins. Jenkins simply doesn’t make shots.
Love Luis, but where are you getting this idea from? numbers are the opposite.

Your Amazed at second guessing on this Board ? It’s nearly on every other post . It’s what fans do . It doesn’t mean anyone is less a fan .

It’s , of course pure speculation but , 1.5 seconds is often enough to do a lot of stuff at end of games .

but why the 3ball (he's the worst 3ball shooter on the team), all why needed was a 2-pointer and we win.
Not trying to hear it.

You want that play, then take out Jenkins, why is he shooting that? I'd rather anyone else shoot that.
That's a horrible play.

I’ve seen people second guess themselves on the same thread over the years including me :)

Well, from my perspective there is second guessing and there is nonsense. Did you look at the situation Jenkins caught the ball in? Where was he going to dribble to exactly?
You make a general statement that “1.5 seconds is often enough to do a lot of stuff of stuff”, how about some specific examples? More to the point, I cited the circumstances Jenkins caught the ball in, with defenders within arms length of him, and ask you where do you think he could have gone on THAT PLAY? Because that is the play you guys are speculating on, and tacitly criticizing him for, not a generic hypothetical “often enough”!
So, with all due respect to the “pure speculation“, IMO, it is pure nonsense, and that’s all it is, my opinion. Take it for what it’s worth to you.

Well, from my perspective there is second guessing and there is nonsense. Did you look at the situation Jenkins caught the ball in? Where was he going to dribble to exactly?
You make a general statement that “1.5 seconds is often enough to do a lot of stuff of stuff”, how about some specific examples? More to the point, I cited the circumstances Jenkins caught the ball in, with defenders within arms length of him, and ask you where do you think he could have gone on THAT PLAY? Because that is the play you guys are speculating on, and tacitly criticizing him for, not a generic hypothetical “often enough”!
So, with all due respect to the “pure speculation“, IMO, it is pure nonsense, and that’s all it is, my opinion. Take it for what it’s worth to you.
Completely agree. We got a very good look given the time left and where we were inbounding the ball from. He just didn't make it, that happens, absolutely no reason to second guess that shot imho. Was much less happy with the corner three from Chris in the prior possession.

Hope so, but are you really confident we can beat a Nova with Moore back & angry, sneaky X, and a PC team that almost beat us without Hop at MSG? I’m really not after these last 3 L’s. I see 2-2 in those you listed.
Why do fans tend to create things to back up their arguments.... "Nova with Moore back & angry." Why aren't our team angry after losing three consecutive games? How come we're not a "sneaky team?"
Providence could possibly be in a tailspin when we play them. Who knows? We have every chance to beat those teams as much as you surmise we can lose to them.

I previously posted:

Marquette also missed their last four free throws. One miss was by a 70% shooter and the other three were by a 94% free throw shooter. Based on those shooting percentages, the odds of those four consecutive misses happening was 6,667 to 1.

Sorry I made a calculation typo. The correct odds, base on those shooting percentages, of missing four straight free throws was actually 15,432 to 1 not 6,667 to 1.

Why do fans tend to create things to back up their arguments.... "Nova with Moore back & angry." Why aren't our team angry after losing three consecutive games? How come we're not a "sneaky team?"
Providence could possibly be in a tailspin when we play them. Who knows? We have every chance to beat those teams as much as you surmise we can lose to them.
Because we weren’t angry after the loss to Creighton. We got spanked by Seton Hall. It doesn’t seem like we were angry after that. We disappeared defensively in the second half against Marquette and allowed them to shoot like 75% or some ridiculous number. This team doesn’t seem to be angry or sneaky and only decide to get motivated to play defense if they’re down double digits. I have yet to see this team play a full game like they really want it. I know we beat Nova at Nova and beat Xavier by double digits but there’s just something about this team. I wouldn’t call it unmotivated but it’s more there’s no sense of urgency from this team. You watch some of these really good teams and you can see that they want to go out there and take it to their opponents. I have yet to see that from this team. That doesn’t mean you’re not going to lose games but it’s just a look that some good teams have. I’ve seen it with Houston, watch them. I’ve seen it with Tennessee, watch them play defense, suffocating. I know our talent level is not what those teams have but you have take the court like you F’n want it night in and night out and I haven’t seen that from this team yet.

I previously posted:

Marquette also missed their last four free throws. One miss was by a 70% shooter and the other three were by a 94% free throw shooter. Based on those shooting percentages, the odds of those four consecutive misses happening was 6,667 to 1.

Sorry I made a calculation typo. The correct odds, base on those shooting percentages, of missing four straight free throws was actually 15,432 to 1 not 6,667 to 1.
And this post sponsored by the makers of Meclizine. If you weren't dizzy 3 minutes ago you are after trying to figure out GZappers math :)

Because we weren’t angry after the loss to Creighton. We got spanked by Seton Hall. It doesn’t seem like we were angry after that. We disappeared defensively in the second half against Marquette and allowed them to shoot like 75% or some ridiculous number. This team doesn’t seem to be angry or sneaky and only decide to get motivated to play defense if they’re down double digits. I have yet to see this team play a full game like they really want it. I know we beat Nova at Nova and beat Xavier by double digits but there’s just something about this team. I wouldn’t call it unmotivated but it’s more there’s no sense of urgency from this team. You watch some of these really good teams and you can see that they want to go out there and take it to their opponents. I have yet to see that from this team. That doesn’t mean you’re not going to lose games but it’s just a look that some good teams have. I’ve seen it with Houston, watch them. I’ve seen it with Tennessee, watch them play defense, suffocating. I know our talent level is not what those teams have but you have take the court like you F’n want it night in and night out and I haven’t seen that from this team yet.
Are you aware one of our better teams since I've been a fan lost four out of five and was "thisclose" to losing six straight games after narrowly beating an extremely mediocre Rutgers team and a poor Boston College team during the 1999-2000 season (both of those games were home games for us)? That particular team went on to do some good things the remainder of the season, as well as win the Big East Tournament and earned a #2 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Am I saying this current team is as good as the '99-2000 team? Nope. Am I saying the current team will duplicate those feats? Nope. I'm saying any season can have its ebbs and flows and ups and downs. And, any fan can view their negativity and believe it's their truth.

So, if you think our team isn't angry because they didn't show it after losing to Creighton and Seton Hall, respectively, is your prerogative. But that is all it is..... It doesn't make it true. You view things from a pessimistic view and I choose to view it optimistically until I FLAT OUT have no reason to view it in that manner.

There's a lot of season left and I've watched sports long enough to know a season can swiftly or gradually change one way or another. I'll choose to see how things play out before I surrender to doom and gloom.

Back