Marquette (MSG), Sat., Jan. 20, 12 Noon, FOX

St. John's has dropped 3 games in a row, with two being absolute heartbreakers. We break down the final crucial plays in depth, should they have taken the threes or drove to the hoop? Zuby, RJ and Ledlum shine...Where is Joel Soriano? Marquette begging SJU to steal the game and the team in Queens unable to take it, what this means moving forward, the must win game Wednesday at MSG and so much more in this stuffed episode #sjubb

Of course it’s natural to focus on the Jenkins last minute shot . It could have won the game .

I wasn’t looking at the shot clock when he shot, did anyone see it ? And , how much time was left when he let it go ?

I ask because it’s all in the what if category but , could Jenkins have taken just a step more and drawn contact from Gold ? You know , brush up against him , get the shot off and fall down . Would the Refs have called it ? Don’t know . Seemingly he could have gotten Gold up in the Air anyway and take your chances ? Or , instead of shooting , take the 1 step as if going to the hoop . God’s natural instincts would be to grab or , bump .

Just saying .

Also , while Pitino said he thought the Ledlum 3 from the Corner with , I think , 38 seconds left , was a good look and good shot , I’m not so sure .
Ledlum was all alone in the corner . No Marquette player was anywhere near him . Could he have gotten closer to the hoop and draw a foul ? Or , stop and put up a 2 pointer ? Maybe get a put back ?

It’s something to think about , instead of the constant barrage at Jenkins .

And , it’s also easy to beat up Jenkins for the missed foul shot that would have tied the game . But , what were the odds that Kolek , a 92 percent free throw shooter would miss 3 of them in the last minutes of the game ?

It’s all factors that the statistics don’t tell .
Rewatched the last 4 seconds. He got the ball with 1.6 and shot with 1.5

How you figure that ? Someone always under the basket on defense prevents layups!
Just my opinion based on Marquette's offensive schemes. A lot of 4 out 1 in with the 1 in involved in constant pick and rolls. If you don't go zone with Zuby and Joel in together, I don't know which of the two is guarding one of the 4 out on the perimeter.

Honestly even if we beat Nova, we will still have to prove we can beat UConn, Creighton, Hall, Marq types. Can’t make NCAAT only beating mediocre to bad teams in conf.

Kind of amazed at some of the second guessing going on, 4 seconds to go the length of the court, you take a shot when it shows, period end of story. So Jenkins was supposed to know there was a second and a half left and decide to dribble IN to the defense in hope of getting a dribble closer. Really????
I realize the guy is a polarizing player although I personally think that is nonsense but man, I can only imagine the hand wringing if he put the ball on the floor and didn’t even get a shot off. Pitino drew up a play, it was run, they got a decent shot off and it didn’t go, but that is NOT what lost the game. As has been the norm for this team, long stretches of uninspired effort, primarily on defense, is THE recurring weakness.

Kind of amazed at some of the second guessing going on, 4 seconds to go the length of the court, you take a shot when it shows, period end of story. So Jenkins was supposed to know there was a second and a half left and decide to dribble IN to the defense in hope of getting a dribble closer. Really????
I realize the guy is a polarizing player although I personally think that is nonsense but man, I can only imagine the hand wringing if he put the ball on the floor and didn’t even get a shot off. Pitino drew up a play, it was run, they got a decent shot off and it didn’t go, but that is NOT what lost the game. As has been the norm for this team, long stretches of uninspired effort, primarily on defense, is THE recurring weakness.
I will go one step further, if this team EVER collectively decides to play a legitimate HARD 40 minutes, I am convinced they can play with anyone. Unfortunately, after half a season, that is a COLOSSALLY HUGE IF………….

Yes we’ve been very unlucky. Yes Pitino usually makes big jump in yr 2. But you have to remember we haven’t won NCAAT game in 23 yrs, haven’t made main draw in about 10 yrs, haven’t gotten to championship game of BET in 20+ yrs, etc. We simply must win our share of these games no excuses. I used to buy single tickets to the games I wanted to go to in past 13-14 yrs I’ve been a fan.

After Pitino hire I finally went all in and dropped $1200 on MSG package. That’s not a small chunk of change for most people. The investment has not been met with any real returns thus far (obv will see how season plays out), but is it any wonder we lost a whole generation after 23+ yrs of this? If we miss the NCAAT I’m likely not renewing next yr. I’m quickly approaching the point where the program will need to show me something (ranked, BET champs, win NCAAT game, big OOC wins, etc) before I invest heavily again. Obv when I say invest I don’t mean in the business sense but it is a defacto investment of time, $, hoping for something to celebrate, etc.

I will go one step further, if this team EVER collectively decides to play a legitimate HARD 40 minutes, I am convinced they can play with anyone. Unfortunately, after half a season, that is a COLOSSALLY HUGE IF………….
Starting to think that we are who we are, and what we've seen to date is what we can expect to see moving forward. Although still hoping that it all comes together and that we're a force to be reckoned with come March. If anyone can make that happen, it's Rick.

Back