Marquette (MSG), Sat., Jan. 20, 12 Noon, FOX

Are you aware one of our better teams since I've been a fan lost four out of five and was "thisclose" to losing six straight games after narrowly beating an extremely mediocre Rutgers team and a poor Boston College team during the 1999-2000 season (both of those games were home games for us)? That particular team went on to do some good things the remainder of the season, as well as win the Big East Tournament and earned a #2 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Am I saying this current team is as good as the '99-2000 team? Nope. Am I saying the current team will duplicate those feats? Nope. I'm saying any season can have its ebbs and flows and ups and downs. And, any fan can view their negativity and believe it's their truth.

So, if you think our team isn't angry because they didn't show it after losing to Creighton and Seton Hall, respectively, is your prerogative. But that is all it is..... It doesn't make it true. You view things from a pessimistic view and I choose to view it optimistically until I FLAT OUT have no reason to view it in that manner.

There's a lot of season left and I've watched sports long enough to know a season can swiftly or gradually change one way or another. I'll choose to see how things play out before I surrender to doom and gloom.
I’m not surrendering to doom and gloom just waiting for them to show the level of intensity that’s consistently needed to be one of the top teams in this league . All I’m saying is they haven’t shown us that yet.

Yep, which is why I said that Holloway's kids know how to bare down and deliver a knock out punch when they have their opponents on the ropes, and we don't.
Seton Hall reminds me of the gritty gutty Yankees they of the 300 million dollar payroll 🤪

I previously posted:

Marquette also missed their last four free throws. One miss was by a 70% shooter and the other three were by a 94% free throw shooter. Based on those shooting percentages, the odds of those four consecutive misses happening was 6,667 to 1.

Sorry I made a calculation typo. The correct odds, base on those shooting percentages, of missing four straight free throws was actually 15,432 to 1 not 6,667 to 1.
And yet they did miss all 4 free throws and we had three good looks to pull that game out.

Am I saying this current team is as good as the '99-2000 team? Nope. Am I saying the current team will duplicate those feats? Nope. I'm saying any season can have its ebbs and flows and ups and downs. And, any fan can view their negativity and believe it's their truth.
Yea this is spot on. We tend to fixate on the last few games here and fail to realize that it is a long season

I’m especially noticing this with this narrative starting to arise that we don’t play hard for 40 minutes.

Was anyone saying that when we beat Butler, Xavier and Nova and never trailed in 120 minutes of basketball?

We lose a couple close games (against better competition) and one blowout without our coach and suddenly everyone’s got our team all figured out I guess.

Like you said, ebbs and flows

Yea this is spot on. We tend to fixate on the last few games here and fail to realize that it is a long season

I’m especially noticing this with this narrative starting to arise that we don’t play hard for 40 minutes.

Was anyone saying that when we beat Butler, Xavier and Nova and never trailed in 120 minutes of basketball?

We lose a couple close games (against better competition) and one blowout without our coach and suddenly everyone’s got our team all figured out I guess.

Like you said, ebbs and flows
But isn’t the salient judgement criteria to the “play hard“ notion only the eye test, not W’s and L’s? I watch the team and see the effort put in at the end of the 1st half and the last 5 minutes of the game and it is a “Tale of Two Teams”. I commented during the game that the scrum under the Johnnie’s basket in the 1st half where the team was scrapping hard for the ball resulting in Ejifor’s 3 point play seemed to ignite a run. But they come out in the 2nd half playing like they had on their Sunday best and weren’t allowed to get dirty. Only to turn it on again when desperation hit at about the 5 minute mark.
If you think from watching the games, the effort and fight is there consistently 100% of the time, fine, but I (and it would appear some others) disagree and my opinion is not wins and losses based at all, it is totally observation watching other teams laying the ball in the basket with little resistance, from watching other teams beating us to loose balls, from other teams shooting wide open 3’s.
Yes, there is an ebb and flow to a season in regards to winning and losing, no question, but there should not be one in the approach to the game and the effort applied to that approach.
IMO, If one thinks the effort is there consistently then there should be no complaints about the team, because that is the only thing a player has true control over.

seton hall, core played together a few years, somehow always manages to have an A player. Powell, Mamu and now Richmond. Always easier to hide a wart when you have guys like that
Very good point Notanalum.

A players elevate everyone. We've had them but not often lately. Champagne was probably a B+ player here, a great player but didn't elevate others.

Shamorie and of course before that DLo, DJ, Hardy, Mo, Boo, so when they come along, it's something special.

For us old guys, we had A players almost every season.

And this post sponsored by the makers of Meclizine. If you weren't dizzy 3 minutes ago you are after trying to figure out GZappers math :)
mjmaherjr,
Just a quick math tutorial here. To calculate the probable odds of a 94% shooter missing 3 in a row and a 70% shooter missing his shot too, you have to calculate by their miss rates (.06 for the 94% shooter and .3 for the 70% shooter). You then multiply .06 by .06 by .06 by .3 which leaves you with it happening 648 times out of ten million and that gets reduced to the odds of 15432 to 1.

The bottom line is that it shouldn't have happened, yet somehow it did!
Unfortunately, we still lost the game!

Go Figure:):):)!!!

Because we weren’t angry after the loss to Creighton. We got spanked by Seton Hall. It doesn’t seem like we were angry after that. We disappeared defensively in the second half against Marquette and allowed them to shoot like 75% or some ridiculous number. This team doesn’t seem to be angry or sneaky and only decide to get motivated to play defense if they’re down double digits. I have yet to see this team play a full game like they really want it. I know we beat Nova at Nova and beat Xavier by double digits but there’s just something about this team. I wouldn’t call it unmotivated but it’s more there’s no sense of urgency from this team. You watch some of these really good teams and you can see that they want to go out there and take it to their opponents. I have yet to see that from this team. That doesn’t mean you’re not going to lose games but it’s just a look that some good teams have. I’ve seen it with Houston, watch them. I’ve seen it with Tennessee, watch them play defense, suffocating. I know our talent level is not what those teams have but you have take the court like you F’n want it night in and night out and I haven’t seen that from this team yet.
Kranmars was thinking of a paragraph comment here but , due to circumstances , thought you were entitled to a exception .
One time only .

Well, from my perspective there is second guessing and there is nonsense. Did you look at the situation Jenkins caught the ball in? Where was he going to dribble to exactly?
You make a general statement that “1.5 seconds is often enough to do a lot of stuff of stuff”, how about some specific examples? More to the point, I cited the circumstances Jenkins caught the ball in, with defenders within arms length of him, and ask you where do you think he could have gone on THAT PLAY? Because that is the play you guys are speculating on, and tacitly criticizing him for, not a generic hypothetical “often enough”!
So, with all due respect to the “pure speculation“, IMO, it is pure nonsense, and that’s all it is, my opinion. Take it for what it’s worth to you.
Worth to me ? About as much as my opinion was to you .

Seriously , why so upset with anyone’s opinion ?

For example , yesterday in the Bucs - Lions game . Bowles made a decision to go for 2 points , despite still trailing by 7 points or 6 as the case was .
The Bucs were still going to need another TD to tie the game . I think most analysts would say , kick the PAT, and be down 7, if you scored again and tie it up and go into OT.

Collins worth then added another questionable comment . Saying you have a 55 percent chance to make the 2 point conversion . As opposed to a 95 percent chance to kick the 1 point PAT . That comment was stupid . Collins worth often is .

Isn’t it better to think about a tie at that time , instead of going for 2? Knowing you still needed another TD ? Just my opinion .

Let it go , it’s over and done with.

Just a aside , how many seconds did it take Reggie Miller to destroy the Knicks back in the day ? When he scored , I think 8 points or , maybe 6 in a very short time frame . I didn’t look it up but , it’s etched for eternity in my mind .

Or , how many seconds did it take Grant Hill to get the ball to Laettner of Duke against Pitino’s Kentucky team ? Less than the 4.3 that we had from Soriano to Jenkins .

Could Jenkins have drawn a foul on Gold by driving past him to create contact on that play ? Most likely not , because his tendency is to shoot the drop back shot and not draw contact . Hence , his infrequent trips to the free throw line . Maybe another player could have drawn contact ? But , Pitino had set the play for Jenkins to shoot ., That’s all that matters . .

Spike Lee , won’t ever forget Reggie either . Never .

Collins worth then added another questionable comment . Saying you have a 55 percent chance to make the 2 point conversion . As opposed to a 95 percent chance to kick the 1 point PAT . That comment was stupid . Collins worth often is .
i know this is off topic but why is this stupid?

The stupidest thing I saw in that game was certified genius Todd Bowles deciding not to use a timeout after the lions took a knee on 3rd down with still like 35 seconds left.

If he had used the timeout, Detroit would have been forced to try and kick a field goal. They could have missed, and the Bucs could have had one last chance (this actually happened in a game this year... Jets/Giants)

when Bowles was asked after the game about it he said "why delay the inevitable"... he elected to not give his team a chance by using a timeout, even if the chance would have been microscopic, it is truly baffling to me. It is also baffling the Lions incorrectly milked the clock during their 3 kneel downs.

Last edited:
when Bowles was asked after the game about it he said "why delay the inevitable"... he elected to not give his team a chance by using a timeout, even if the chance would have been microscopic, it is truly baffling to me. It is also baffling the Lions incorrectly milked the clock during their 3 kneel downs.
Shades of Mahoney vs. the Razorbacks in the tournament.

But isn’t the salient judgement criteria to the “play hard“ notion only the eye test, not W’s and L’s? I watch the team and see the effort put in at the end of the 1st half and the last 5 minutes of the game and it is a “Tale of Two Teams”. I commented during the game that the scrum under the Johnnie’s basket in the 1st half where the team was scrapping hard for the ball resulting in Ejifor’s 3 point play seemed to ignite a run. But they come out in the 2nd half playing like they had on their Sunday best and weren’t allowed to get dirty. Only to turn it on again when desperation hit at about the 5 minute mark.
If you think from watching the games, the effort and fight is there consistently 100% of the time, fine, but I (and it would appear some others) disagree and my opinion is not wins and losses based at all, it is totally observation watching other teams laying the ball in the basket with little resistance, from watching other teams beating us to loose balls, from other teams shooting wide open 3’s.
Yes, there is an ebb and flow to a season in regards to winning and losing, no question, but there should not be one in the approach to the game and the effort applied to that approach.
IMO, If one thinks the effort is there consistently then there should be no complaints about the team, because that is the only thing a player has true control over.
Excellent post Logen. This is what I have trying to communicate. You explained it better than me.

I never made the case that this team gives 100% effort 100% of the time, I just think a lot of times fans can equate "effort" to whether or not we are winning or losing. Just because maybe you don't do that, doesn't mean I haven't seen it in abundance from St Johns fans on here and twitter in the past.

Teams are going to get layups and open 3s sometimes. It happens, but our defense has improved this year despite the fact that we are undermanned on defense at the guard position. In fact I don't know if anyone on the roster besides Alleyne is even equipped to stay in front of opposing guards. Jenkins cant. Dingle cant. Wilcher usually can't although last game did a decent job.

When your guards are constantly getting beat off the dribble, the whole defense enters scramble mode. Which leads to a lot of good looks for a smart and well organized offense that is ready to break us down. Thats why someone like Kolek had his way with us. and why good/quick/smart guards will continue to have their way with us. I see it as way more of a personnel issue than I see it as an effort issue.

Jenkins is certainly trying to stay in front of opposing guards, he just simply isn't that good at it. Dingle is even worse at it. Thats our starting backcourt for the foreseeable future now until Alleyne is alright.

Back