Marquette (MSG), Sat., Jan. 20, 12 Noon, FOX

That's why it's never good to put too much credence in advanced billing by the so called "experts", and that includes the self-appointed experts on this board who almost always overhype kids that they've either barely seen play, or never seen play.
The thing is, as you know, the jump from HS/AAU to D1 is huge. I saw Wilcher play quite a bit in HS vs. good comp and am very surprised at how much he has struggled. I don’t remember what I shared when he signed with the Johnnie’s and I am not a “second coming” evaluator by any means but without a doubt I felt he would be a very positive contributor from jump street. But there are just no guarantees.

That's why it's never good to put too much credence in advanced billing by the so called "experts", and that includes the self-appointed experts on this board who almost always overhype kids that they've either barely seen play, or never seen play.
He is going to be good...

CBS Sports has us as 1 point dogs. I'm surprised, I thought that we would be 4-5 point dogs in this fight. I guess we're getting some respect.

Wilcher has to be more decisive, less dribbling and shoot more. He has a gear no one else on the team has with speed and being able to take a defender off the dribble but he tends to over dribble. Pull up kid shoot it when you got the look!

I think he could see some more minutes but Marquette's HAVOC defense is a tough test for sure.

But good news is Chase Ross is out for Marquette who is arguably their best defender.
Crisper, non-lazy, passing is what he needs to do

I was at a HS game yesterday and it was a tough watch. One player like Wilcher can easily look like Wilt Chamberlain, you never know how good they really are until the face better players. Wilcher has shown flashes, he just needs to remember this is the Big East and not Garden City High.

Here's what I'll say about Wilcher: It would've been nice to have him contribute more early and its disappointing that he hasn't so far. BUT....

If you watch this game long enough you know freshman don't improve linearly. There are stops and starts. Sometimes one step forward, two steps back. But sometimes, especially with the really talented ones, when the light goes on-and you never know when it's going to happen- the improvement can be exponential. I'm still expecting that from Wilcher before the end of the season. Hopefully it starts tomorrow.

I was hoping it would be against the Hall and it wasn't, but I feel like he's getting there. He showed some flashes against Creighton (which were obviously overshadowed by the 4 TO's). But it seems like the overthinking is starting to go away with more experience. Hopefully as that happens, the focus/intensity will go up in equal measure. I just have a feeling when he pops its going to be a leap forward (again, with some growing pains).

Sim is super fast in person. (edit: I forgot Luis. He's most athletic) He's definitely on a different tier of athlete from anyone else on the team (Zuby being 2nd most athletic). He had a couple of good possessions on defense against Richmond and had no problem staying in front of him. The thing that is flummoxing is that he plays slow on offense.
I’ve been posting all season how noticeably faster Wilcher and Zuby are compared to Jenkins and Soriano.

Wilcher has been awful lately, but I see two scenarios where he can help: (1) very focused short spurts around TV timeouts and (2) if it just clicks for him mentally at some point in February.

His skills need to be refined but the mental stuff is what is preventing him from contributing 10-15 minutes now.

Prepared to be very annoyed by M’Qs Kolek, fearless, cocky & makes plays. One of those overachieving guys who you may hate, but wish he was on on your team.
Kolek is the reigning BE POY. He makes Marquette the team it is . He’s a lot to handle and how well we defend him , will impact the results of the game .

We need a big game from Soriano too .

Ignore...the...last ..game ...

Do that, and what do you see? We at Butler and Xavier. I admit Providence is tough on the road, always. But I am 100% wearing my rose colored glasses and thinking players were sick (COVID or not) and thats the explanation for the egg laying.

Get routed this weekend and my opinion changes.
I think that Xavier on the road will be a serious challenge and Hinkle Field House (Butler) is no easy place to play.

Kolek's the guy you love to hate. I recall last year in the Big East tourney, he was mouthing off to one our guys just as he was about to take a free throw. Tacky at best, poor sportsmanship at worst. Looking forward to some payback tomorrow.

Back