Marquette (MSG), Sat., Jan. 20, 12 Noon, FOX

Crowd was great and almost no Marquette fans. The crowd made a difference during the comeback and with the missed FTs. No moral victories and the L sucks, but was a fun game to be at. I brought a few “new” Johnnie’s fans with my tickets and they are now converts, buying Nova tix for them and their kids Wednesday night.

4-4 in the league, what we want is still very much in play. Let’s have a good crowd against Nova this week and get back to above .500.
yes very disappointing. It shows play hard the whole game

just wish St. John’s would have pulled out one of these close wins

looking forward to nova game and the 1870 a5 Stouts

Frustrating one for sure. Wish we could have pulled it out when they left the door open by missing fts. Effort level was much improved from last game, but too much of a lapse in the first 15 minutes of the second half to beat a big east team. Hopefully Alleyne is okay. It didn’t look good.

We could use a good to guy when the chips are down. Someone who can stop a run. I know the world is made of Marcus Hattens, Julien Champagnies, or Bootsy Thortons but to have a clutch guy like that would be huge on this team.

blame Pitino then, as you seem to have all the answers.
No need to be nasty here. But I understand your frustration. When one has little understanding or knowledge of the game, one resorts to nasty comments.

I didn’t like the final play for two reasons.

1. Joel with the ball at half court taking dribbles leaves little options after that.

2. Marquette and the rest of the arena knew who was taking the final shot and did you notice who was right there to guard him. If you guessed a 7 footer named Gold, you win.

Jenkins speed would have allowed him to take it all the way to the rim and who knows, get fouled along the way, fouled going up or a nice dish to a more open player.

Just cause I have a different opinion then Mr. Pitino doesn’t mean I’m wrong or right, it’s just a different take on a situation.

we can’t shoot. Big East play puts your flaws under the microscope like nothing else

Not having Dingle is really hurting us. Especially end of game situations.

Alleyne is done. He couldn’t even move on the bench. Major injury.
Hopefully he comes back but may give more time to Dingle to find his offensive game.

Absolute pleasure meeting Jnaw after the game at tracks. Monte has the pic. Excellent dude
Meeting Monte and you was the highlight of my afternoon. Definitely better than yet another 1 point loss at home. You guys are awesome.

This team is close, but still not playing fully for each other. Make the extra pass, stop the dribble to nowhere, grab the f’n rebound and get the ball down low even if you kick it back out. Simple offense.

As for defense, it’s not very good. We will be better, but too many uncontested layups and we pass up opportunities to trap guys in the corners on the “press” that’s really not a press just yet.

And let’s have more Zuby. Love that guy

Mike and Monte (and I think the other guy was Frank) are all great guys. Really enjoyed meeting you. Will look for you guys at the UConn game. I’m flying to Minneapolis this week,’so will watch the game on Wed on tv

How many screens were set to get him open looks?
Actually there were a few but Brady was slow going over them. I distinctly remeber at least three. Look, it’s not Brady’s fault that he scored 2 points in 33 minutes, allot of it can be blamed on Taylor’s offensive decline, However as stated by others, if Brady can’t hit shots, at least put Taylor out there for better D.

This is not about, let’s develop Brady…… this is about every game is important to get to the Dance and right now we are on the ledge after these three most recent games.

The refs tried to give us this game and we wouldn’t take it. They called a foul against Marquette every time one of our guys took it to the lane.

We closed a 13 pt deficit that way and then started shooting jumpers. We don’t play smart basketball.
I wouldn’t exactly say they tried to give us the game but you are correct that they were calling close fouls when drive to the hoop and we should have drove the ball more. But, they screwed us with that foul call on Luis

Frustrating one for sure. Wish we could have pulled it out when they left the door open by missing fts. Effort level was much improved from last game, but too much of a lapse in the first 15 minutes of the second half to beat a big east team. Hopefully Alleyne is okay. It didn’t look good.

We could use a good to guy when the chips are down. Someone who can stop a run. I know the world is made of Marcus Hattens, Julien Champagnies, or Bootsy Thortons but to have a clutch guy like that would be huge on this team.
Exactly, Pitino can keep us in games against these better teams but there needs to be a closer to finish them off and right now there are none on the floor.

No need to be nasty here. But I understand your frustration. When one has little understanding or knowledge of the game, one resorts to nasty comments.

I didn’t like the final play for two reasons.

1. Joel with the ball at half court taking dribbles leaves little options after that.

2. Marquette and the rest of the arena knew who was taking the final shot and did you notice who was right there to guard him. If you guessed a 7 footer named Gold, you win.

Jenkins speed would have allowed him to take it all the way to the rim and who knows, get fouled along the way, fouled going up or a nice dish to a more open player.

Just cause I have a different opinion then Mr. Pitino doesn’t mean I’m wrong or right, it’s just a different take on a situation.
Pitino and you on equal footing as to tactics, okay. He s not God as to basketball knowledge, but pretty close.

Was wrong to get personal, you could do the same.

Actually as a coach you have to feel that way; as a fan, I kind of feel the same way! It is easier to build on a failed comeback than a blown lead; generally speaking much easier to accentuate the positive when you go down as the “hunter”. Again, VERY generally speaking, you blow a lead, the after game mindset becomes a negative hang your head malaise, “ a how could that happen” embarrassment, if you will.
You come back and fall short, it hopefully becomes “what could I/we have done do
to have made that one play to have changed the outcome“, kind of thing.
Also, I think that the fact that the run late in the first half and the comeback late was fueled by scrapping, effort, second chances, etc. is a very good sign to me.
Finally, and frankly, I know many disagree but I felt good about the looks they got and missed; I don’t remember once as the end was playing out, thinking “that was a bad shot”; you have to make one of those at this level. Others may feel differently, obviously.
I especially thought the last look was great considering the circumstances.
On to Nova,,,,,,,,,,,…,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Regardless of how mad you are time to pack msg Wednesday even though it’s a late game. Do the St. John’s pregame 1870 thing at stout and meet some of our crew

Heck there is slight chance I can convince Nathalie to go if I promise not to get angry if we lose :)

She can bring me ambien and drive me home
I’ll be there Wednesday! Gotta talk to my friends I’m going with about stout pregame

Of course, let’s ignore the 8 points he had in the comeback, those don’t count I guess. He had a bad game but stayed tough and was a huge part of the reason you guys get to go into “Jenkins bashing” mode again, or should I say still.
What game did you watch? He was awful on defense all night. This was his worst defensive game of the season. He allowed 4 straight baskets when Marquette stretched their lead late.

He has no clue how to defend a pick and roll. Most of the times he defended neither of the offensive players.

He also takes some of the dumbest shots of anyone we’ve ever had here. The refs are giving us every whistle tonight so he takes step back threes?

Marquette scored easy transition baskets after two of his second misses. Are we supposed to throw him a party because he made 2 of his 6 three-pointers? Why is a guy who is shooting 30% from 3 taking 14 of them the last two games and why is he taking step-back threes off the bounce when nobody else touches the ball?

He also had 6 turnovers and was responsible for at least 2 more. Oh and he missed another game winner, and the pivotal game-tying FT.

I wouldn’t exactly say they tried to give us the game but you are correct that they were calling close fouls when drive to the hoop and we should have drove the ball more. But, they screwed us with that foul call on Luis
I have a friend who was seated in front of luis on that play. He said luis definately fouled before the scramble for the ball.

I was there and the place was rocking the last few minutes. I don't feel horrible about this one. Yes, Jenkins missed the ft that would have tied it, but Kolek missed a couple down thecstretch too.

Rick at practice yesterday focused on out of bounds plays and jenkins got a really good look.

Roll this back to prior years where if we had 15 seconds we'd either turn it over, not get off a shot, or get a horrible look.

We are very close to busting over the top. I see the needle pointing rhe right direction and not in the direction of the futility of the past.

Lets beat Nova!

Don’t understand this board’s fascination with Brady. Yes, he didn’t hurt us today with his overall play, but his primary skill is 3 point shooting and he’s 2 for his last 10. A made 3 today would have been a huge help.
Look who is passing him the ball.

Back