Marquette (MSG), Sat., Jan. 20, 12 Noon, FOX

Yes of course we need to start winning and fast. But to say we don’t have the horses, I disagree. We’re 4-4 in Big East and have only been beaten easily once and we didn’t have our coach for that game.

This team is good enough to dance. It’s about going out and stacking some wins. There will be many more opportunities for big wins. Hell just look at two saturdays from right now.
Jack , looking at the schedule , the next four games will tell the tale. We need to win three of the next four and be 7-5 after 12 conference games. Three of the next four are at home. After that we have two tough road games at Marquette and at Providence. We could be 7-7 after that. Then we have three away games in the last 6 against Butler, Georgetown and DePaul. We should go 2-1. That’s 9-8. The three homes games left in the last 6 are Georgetown, Creighton and Seton Hall. We have to go 2-1 in these games which gets us to 11-9 and that’s a bubble record of 19-12. We would still need at least one maybe two wins in the Big East Tournament to make the NCAA’s. This is the position we have now put ourselves in. To be any better than 11-9 in conference now and have a guaranteed spot in the Tournament we really need to go on a tear at some point. I just don’t see that happening. But, to even have a chance , we have to win three of the next four.

Moral victories only get you so far but I do think this is a bubble NCAA team. Winning twice against Villanova would be huge. Game at home against Seton Hall, and road against Xavier, Butler and Providence are very big. Not seeing a win against UCONN or at Marquette. Slight chance at home against Creighton. Take care of business against the middle teams and win 4 against DePaul and Georgetown and we could dance.

Jack , looking at the schedule , the next four games will tell the tale. We need to win three of the next four and be 7-5 after 12 conference games. Three of the next four are at home. After that we have two tough road games at Marquette and at Providence. We could be 7-7 after that. Then we have three away games in the last 6 against Butler, Georgetown and DePaul. We should go 2-1. That’s 9-8. The three homes games left in the last 6 are Georgetown, Creighton and Seton Hall. We have to go 2-1 in these games which gets us to 11-9 and that’s a bubble record of 19-12. We would still need at least one maybe two wins in the Big East Tournament to make the NCAA’s. This is the position we have now put ourselves in. To be any better than 11-9 in conference now and have a guaranteed spot in the Tournament we really need to go on a tear at some point. I just don’t see that happening. But, to even have a chance , we have to win three of the next four.
Look at Seton Hall schedule. They to their credit have won many close home games but man they have played all their tough matchups at home and none on the road

Obviously like most freshman, he has a learning curve. He has already helped win a few games. It is hard for him to be thrust into the fire like today w big minutes, but injuries required it. I thought he acquitted himself fine with four assists, a saving catch leading to bucket on bad pass and moving the ball. You can see he is a son of a coach and just needs to get stronger and work hard at practice and in offseason for nice role next year.
Don’t understand this board’s fascination with Brady. Yes, he didn’t hurt us today with his overall play, but his primary skill is 3 point shooting and he’s 2 for his last 10. A made 3 today would have been a huge help.

Don’t understand this board’s fascination with Brady. Yes, he didn’t hurt us today with his overall play, but his primary skill is 3 point shooting and he’s 2 for his last 10. A made 3 today would have been a huge help.
He is a very promising freshman who would never have given SJU a sniff without Pitino.

He has been thrust into bigger role because of Alleyne and Dingle being out and Taylor losing all confidence in his game.

My fascination is him becoming a star big East player with experience and weight gains in a year or 2.

But why hold back on opportunity to knock a kid. Clearly it was his fault we lost this game.

Not “fascinated” by him and think he is still developing. Just saying he was thrust into big minutes by Rick because we were down two guards & did ok, net of his cold outside shooting. He was not reason we lost today. I prefer modest minutes for him myself, but Rick decides that.

After being down 13 points with 6 minutes left. 3 chances to take the lead in the final minute is all you can ask for.
I can ask to not be down 13 points with 6 minutes to play. I can ask that a better shooter than Jenkins take the last shot. I can ask that Soriano not be on the floor in the last 4 seconds, and I can ask that Pitino design a 2 point shot as the last shot.

He is a very promising freshman who would never have given SJU a sniff without Pitino.

He has been thrust into bigger role because of Alleyne and Dingle being out and Taylor losing all confidence in his game.

My fascination is him becoming a star big East player with experience and weight gains in a year or 2.

But why hold back on opportunity to knock a kid. Clearly it was his fault we lost this game.
Didn’t knock him at all, and didn’t blame him for the loss. Guess we can cite Jenkins’ and Luis’s shooting stats but Brady’s 2-10 is off limits.

Look at Seton Hall schedule. They to their credit have won many close home games but man they have played all their tough matchups at home and none on the road
Very true Bill. They have had a very favorable schedule early in conference

Didn’t knock him at all, and didn’t blame him for the loss. Guess we can cite Jenkins’ and Luis’s shooting stats but Brady’s 2-10 is off limits.
Yeah I’ve mentioned wanting Taylor in more for Brady today - my criticism is of the rotation - not Brady. He’s been off - possibly bc being more closely watched by the D - but today we needed help on the D end to stop the bleeding…

Back