Marquette (MSG), Sat., Jan. 20, 12 Noon, FOX

It just seems every year SJU just doesn’t have the shooters to win close ball games.Losing Storr and Dingles sorry performance is just about ruining the season.
The parity in the big east indicates that most of SJU games in the regular season and big east tournament are going to come down to a last thirty second field goal attempt.
Its time for a series of Luis drives to the basket at crunch time looking for a foul or a contested shot instead of a three point attempt.

I’ve been impressed with the other things he’s done. He’s an automatic backdoor layup per game. He passes very well. Handles a bit.

The shooting is not great but we don’t have a PG to set him up. I don’t think he gets many great looks.

I could see him being a killer in a few years if I squint.
Has pretty good sense of the game, cuts w/o ball, passes fine looking for guys unlike some teammates (4 assists today) and constantly moving. Add some strength and maturity he will be a fine player in time. You are right, a shooter needs to get ball in right spots from a PG & we don’t.

there’s no conceivable way to make the argument that the game was lost in the first 14 minutes of the second half when we:

1) had a FT attempt to tie from Jenkins - miss
2) 3pt from Jenkins for the lead - miss
3) 3pt from Luis for the lead - miss
4) 3pt from Ledlum for the lead - miss
5) 3pt from Jenkins for the win - miss

5 different opportunities to tie or take lead
Disagree big time, it is a 40 minute game and you can’t dismiss one single minute nor one single play. I will then make the argument Jenkins missed free throw should not be on your list because we had four chances after that to take the lead. EVERY play matters, from the opening tip to the final buzzer.

Last random comment as I’m commuting back. I want Pitino to start getting Luis the ball the game on the line. He’s the only guy that can reliably draw a foul, and his jump shot is enough of a threat. We also saw some of his exciting playmaking potential. Get him the reps now so we can reap the benefits later.

Jenkins is who he is. Not his fault he’s cast in this role and under qualified

Have to think RP has 1 or 2 alpha players on his radar for next year. Players who want the big shot AND can make it. Disappointing loss but we aren’t going to turn it around in a few months.

Disagree big time, it is a 40 minute game and you can’t dismiss one single minute nor one single play. I will then make the argument Jenkins missed free throw should not be on your list because we had four chances after that to take the lead. EVERY play matters, from the opening tip to the final buzzer.
I’m not dismissing the first part of the second half; but objectively we still had a chance to win despite it

And the Jenkins free throw is a part of the list because it was a chance for us to tie the game.

It’s a credit to him now that he’s still not a net negative on the court with his shot not falling. It’s wish we would try to get him going again it’s more intention
To be fair, his shot selection hasn’t been great either. And it’s probably confusing because you know the entire staff is telling him to shoot anything that he can get off.
Has pretty good sense of the game, cuts w/o ball, passes fine looking for guys unlike some teammates (4 assists today) and constantly moving. Add some strength and maturity he will be a fine player in time.
I’d guess he’s a soccer guy with his understanding of angles. Champagnie was like that too. He cuts and looks for cutters more than anyone. Him and RJ developing a little chemistry.

That has killed us all season. It killed us in the Dayton game with DaRon Holmes, it killed us in the UConn game with Samson Johnson , it killed us in the Creighton game with Kalkbrenner and it killed us today with Ighodaro. Four losses because we can’t defend the pick and roll. That tells you that this team just doesn’t learn.
Exactly Gene and it’s such a basic play to defend. Since no one will dare blame it on coaching, it must be Sorianos poor foot work.

To be fair, his shot selection hasn’t been great either. And it’s probably confusing because you know the entire staff is telling him to shoot anything that he can get off.

I’d guess he’s a soccer guy with his understanding of angles. Champagnie was like that too. He cuts and looks for cutters more than anyone. Him and RJ developing a little chemistry.
I also think though he’s given the ball like he’s a play maker and it’s asking way too much from him

Drive it and get fouled? I think you might be the one who’s high. We had to go the length of the court and unfortunately tyus Edney is out of eligibility.
We had 4.3 seconds left on the clock! Tyus Edney had 4.8 seconds left on the clock and he DRIBBLED the length of the court and got a shot off. Jenkins got the ball at the three line with 2 seconds on the clock. The idea that someone couldn't have gotten into the lane within 4.3 seconds is so ridiculous I cant even believe I'm having this conversation.

With Joel in the game, they had five guys covering three...man to man on Brady and Luis, the other three guys playing "zone". What a colossal blunder.

I’m not dismissing the first part of the second half; but objectively we still had a chance to win despite it

And the Jenkins free throw is a part of the list because it was a chance for us to tie the game.
I misread your post then, and I understand putting the free throw on your list, just used it to make a point. Tough to be a Johnnie’s fan again this year unfortunately. At least so far, admire the grit to hang in there but……………

Don’t have the horses? We’ve lost 3 games to top 25 teams by a combined 6 points.

We’re right there. The decision making needs to be better in key spots.
It could be getting late early Jack. Now we have a Villanova team that’s looking for revenge coming in on Wednesday. If we lose it’s four loses in a row and we’re pretty much done until the Big East Tournament. I don’t want to hear but we haven’t played DePaul or Georgetown. Those games are not gimmes. We have to start winning games this week.

Back