Homeland And All Things Maher

Just binged the first season of Tulsa King since it's now on Prime.

Very entertaining but very uneven. Supporting cast elevates the show especially the rag-tag group of misfits that Dwight assembles for his crew.

Weirdly ultra-violent at times, which doesn't fit with the overall mood of the show at all. And the whole NYC mob angle is a snooze.

I just binged all 4 seasons. Wow! Plot twists and interesting characters made this a great watch. Seasons are 6-45 minute episodes . The only downside was that we have to wait until mid-2025 for season 5. I may have to jump into the books.
The last episode of season 4 was one of the best of all 4 seasons. You will not be disappointed if you read the books as you will experience must more than is explored in the films as is always the case when comparing books to films. Also, you will see how brilliant the casting of the characters are.

Severance had a slow build but those last 3 episodes were magical. And, what a cliffhanger to end the season with. Fantastic show. Watched Black Bird last week too. Another great show. Stingray from Kobra Kai was very convincing as a probable murdering weirdo.

Severance had a slow build but those last 3 episodes were magical. And, what a cliffhanger to end the season with. Fantastic show. Watched Black Bird last week too. Another great show. Stingray from Kobra Kai was very convincing as a probable murdering weirdo.

"SHE'S ALIVE!!!!"

(ding)

Started a show last night on Netflix. Night Desk. It’s very good. Not amazing but very good

Jack Bauer light meets a little bit of cheesy writing but also has some very light funny moments

If your nostalgic re the music of the mid-sixties, I recommend Echo in the Canyon, on Showtime.
If you love the ursine, a big thumb up for Cocaine Bear.

Did you watch the Laurel Canyon documentary series on SHowtime? How does Echo compare?
Yes, liked both and there was much common ground. Echo had a slightly different feel, with old videos, interviews with performers and contemporary versions of the vintage music. The music hatchery, in Laurel Canyon, sadly, is gone with the wind.

Threw a curve ball, started watching Dark on Netflix. Heard good things and the first two episodes are interesting to say the least. Watching it dubbed is kinda weird, I hope nothing (literally) gets lost in translation. Definitely a Stranger Things/Chernobyl/David Lynch vibe.

Also, watched the first three episodes of City of God: the Fight Rages On and it’s pretty good. Nothing will ever live up to the movie, it’s one of my favorites, but good and made me jump a few times. I am watching this in Portuguese with subtitles because it felt too weird to watch dubbed. I guess Max is releasing episodes on Sundays.
Quoting myself but the City of God series on Max was strong. Definitely recommend and there’s gonna be another season. It carries on the tradition of the original movie well, it’s also just as violent as it, but has a lot of heart like the original also had.

Dark was a weird show. Some of the episodes felt very profound and the first two seasons were good to great. The third season I was not a fan of, the show just had too many storylines, too many characters, too many versions of the same characters (long story) and the main storyline itself became boring and exhausting all at once. I pretty much hate watched that season. I do recommend not dubbing it and leaving the German with the English subtitles. The dubbing and subtitles translated differently and that was a little confusing too.

Oh and rewatched the last three episodes of Severance and Defiant Jazz is definitely one of my favorite episodes of any show ever. The whole episode is important for all the characters, the dance sequence is flat out amazing and John Turturro absolutely kills the last 5min of it. I’ve always enjoyed his acting but his intensity was something else.

Quoting myself but the City of God series on Max was strong. Definitely recommend and there’s gonna be another season. It carries on the tradition of the original movie well, it’s also just as violent as it, but has a lot of heart like the original also had.

Dark was a weird show. Some of the episodes felt very profound and the first two seasons were good to great. The third season I was not a fan of, the show just had too many storylines, too many characters, too many versions of the same characters (long story) and the main storyline itself became boring and exhausting all at once. I pretty much hate watched that season. I do recommend not dubbing it and leaving the German with the English subtitles. The dubbing and subtitles translated differently and that was a little confusing too.

Oh and rewatched the last three episodes of Severance and Defiant Jazz is definitely one of my favorite episodes of any show ever. The whole episode is important for all the characters, the dance sequence is flat out amazing and John Turturro absolutely kills the last 5min of it. I’ve always enjoyed his acting but his intensity was something else.

Irving going from proper company man to "Let's burn this place to the ground" was an amazing character arc.

And the reveal at the end of that episode was equally moving and horrifying.

"City of God" was one of the most epic movies I've watched. Good to know the series carries it on. Will have to watch.

Irving going from proper company man to "Let's burn this place to the ground" was an amazing character arc.

And the reveal at the end of that episode was equally moving and horrifying.

"City of God" was one of the most epic movies I've watched. Good to know the series carries it on. Will have to watch.
Agree about City of God. Watched it on a trans-pac flight back to back with Rushmore and they both jumped on to my all time favorites list. Haven't rewatched either in a long time.

I discovered City of God one late weeknight not long after it was out of the movies at like 1am on Flix or Encore and by 3:30am, I was on the edge of my bed not caring about waking up for work.

I immediately ordered the DVD off Amazon and made like 4 of my friends come over and watch it that Saturday night. I hyped the crap out of it and they still loved it like I did. It’s my 2nd favorite movie ever made and I’ve seen it like 10 times now. The Benny goodbye party scene I’ve watched on YouTube alone at least 25 times. The cinematography and the music in that scene are about as perfect as can be and the scene goes from happiness to unbridled madness.

The scene with Lil Ze (and Steak and Fries) and the 2 runts stayed with me for quite awhile. It was just so damned realistic.

The last episode of season 4 was one of the best of all 4 seasons. You will not be disappointed if you read the books as you will experience must more than is explored in the films as is always the case when comparing books to films. Also, you will see how brilliant the casting of the characters are.
Finished the first season last night, want to start Season 2 as soon as I can. Gary Oldman is a great actor, the characters are all drawn very well. Night atmospheric mood with lighting and camera work. Subtlety like a lot of British productions. Slow Horses is a fantastic find, thanks, Jackfro.

Back