Homeland And All Things Maher

Hoping for some show recommendations...

After years of my wife pleading to watch TV with her, I committed to 1 hour per night of some type of series. Last series I had watched in full was Sopranos.

So over the last year or so, I ended up watching some good ones that I had heard about or read here

Billions
Ozark
Succession
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
The Americans
Righteous Gemstones
Vice Principals
Eastbound & Down
Squid Game

All of the above, I really liked. Generally a good drama or really good comedy..

I definitely don't like anything sci-fi or fantasy, romantic comedy, horror and not too much a fan of war, western or anything with a lot of British accents..

Any recommendations for good ones that might match what I've liked above?

Thx!
Murder at the End of the World on Hulu

Hoping for some show recommendations...

After years of my wife pleading to watch TV with her, I committed to 1 hour per night of some type of series. Last series I had watched in full was Sopranos.

So over the last year or so, I ended up watching some good ones that I had heard about or read here

Billions
Ozark
Succession
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
The Americans
Righteous Gemstones
Vice Principals
Eastbound & Down
Squid Game

All of the above, I really liked. Generally a good drama or really good comedy..

I definitely don't like anything sci-fi or fantasy, romantic comedy, horror and not too much a fan of war, western or anything with a lot of British accents..

Any recommendations for good ones that might match what I've liked above?

Thx!
Red StormNC, your post is spot-on and hit home for me, with network TV sucking I almost always go inside and watch sports while my wife watches PBS, usually. { Finding Your Roots with Dr. Henry Louis Gates is a good show}.

So during covid we starting watching together (no sports) and turned to mostly streaming. We hit almost all of the shows on your list. I agree with many of the suggestions that followed your ask for recommendations, there were some really good shows mentioned.

I'll add some that I liked besides the above-mentioned Fargo and True Detective.

Only Murders in the Building.
The Diplomat (with Kerri Russell from The Americans).
Dead to Me (Cristina Applegate is very funny in a black comedy)
Morning Show (wife liked it more than me).
Poker Face
Yellowstone (basically a soap opera set in Montana/Wyoming, think Dallas but much better).
Anything with Bryan Cranston or Bob Odenkirk in it.

Two favorite series of all time 1. Sopranos and 1A The Wire, and The Wire holds up pretty well for an older show.

One wacky show that had two seasons on Netflix, but that was all, is Lillyhammer with Silvio from The Sopranos (Little Steven Van Zandt), odd ball comedy set in the frozen tundra in Norway, re-located mobster (Silvio) surviving and thriving in a very unlikely setting. Not for everyone, but I liked it.

Appreciate all the suggestions.

It really shocked me how I had really only been watching sports, news, documentaries and mindless shows like The Office, Diners, Drive-in & Dives, Bar Rescue, Impractical Jokers. I had not watched a series in literally decades. Think it came from my dislike of going to movie theaters and watching long period of time. Aside from taking my now 20 year old daughter to see movies as a kid in early 2000's, the only two movies I saw in theater was Charlie's Angels & Many Saints of Newark. That's crazy but true.

All the shows I've now seen have been good, so looking forward to the others recommended.

Tulsa King with Sly Stallone is excellent. Looks like run of the mill fish (NY mafioso) out of water (Tulsa) story.

But it has a lot more heart. And the quirky supporting characters really shine.

Problem is it's on Paramount Plus but you may be able to binge with the free week trial.

Appreciate all the suggestions.

It really shocked me how I had really only been watching sports, news, documentaries and mindless shows like The Office, Diners, Drive-in & Dives, Bar Rescue, Impractical Jokers. I had not watched a series in literally decades. Think it came from my dislike of going to movie theaters and watching long period of time. Aside from taking my now 20 year old daughter to see movies as a kid in early 2000's, the only two movies I saw in theater was Charlie's Angels & Many Saints of Newark. That's crazy but true.

All the shows I've now seen have been good, so looking forward to the others recommended.
We have a mind meld RsNC, not a movies out guy at all, last one was The Post (Pentagon papers case), before that it might have been Star Wars, haha. Some of those off-hand shows you mention I also watched, even more so the Food Network dribble, mindless fun like Beat Bobby Flay, The Kitchen.

Being as we seem to see tv/movies the same way, hopefully you'll enjoy the various recommendations on this string.

Movie wise, at home (only), I did enjoy Oppenheimer, but it could have been 30 minutes shorter and fine with me.

Favorite movies of all time, both comedies, Animal House and The Big Lebowski. My Cousin Vinny, is way up there too.

Favorite movies of all time, both comedies, Animal House and The Big Lebowski.

The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

btw the new masters of the air that's starting out things weekend on Apple TV looks interesting. Spielberg Hanks creation kinda like. band of brothers in the air I think

btw the new masters of the air that's starting out things weekend on Apple TV looks interesting. Spielberg Hanks creation kinda like. band of brothers in the air I think
I'll get into that in the next couple of weeks. Band of Brothers was the best war story filmed, IMHO.

Madmen and if you liked Karate Kid movies Kobra Kai
Ralph Macchio and his wife were checking into the hotel in my town for a wedding and my wife is telling her staff after they checked in that was the karate kid and they had no idea what she was talking about. Nathalie then says " Kobra Kai " and they were all star struck.

On a Separate note just saw the first episode of Masters of the Air and liked it a lot even though that Elvis guy kind of annoys me

I decided to celebrate the 25th anniversary of The Sopranos by rewatching the show. As I am going through season 1, I am seeing things that I forgot and they can be quite a hoot, like when Paulie goes into a Starbucks type coffee shop and the counter girl asks if he wants an espresso, latte or capaccino and he goes crazy saying "They're stealing our culture" and then on the way out as he repeats it he steals an espresso pot.

I am glad they toned down Christopher's character from season one where he is an out of control punk.

I decided to celebrate the 25th anniversary of The Sopranos by rewatching the show. As I am going through season 1, I am seeing things that I forgot and they can be quite a hoot, like when Paulie goes into a Starbucks type coffee shop and the counter girl asks if he wants an espresso, latte or capaccino and he goes crazy saying "They're stealing our culture" and then on the way out as he repeats it he steals an espresso pot.

I am glad they toned down Christopher's character from season one where he is an out of control punk.

Season 1 is some of the best TV ever made.

But I felt the show lost a lot when Nancy Marchand died prior to Season 2.

Almost every season since then felt like the same plot: some mook comes into Tony's crew and messes everything up. Marone!

Season 2: Richie.
Season 3: Jackie Jr.
Season 4: Ralphie
Season 5: Cousin Tony

When Chris shot the guy behind the counter in the foot was hilarious. My favorite episode ever was Paulie and Christopher stuck in the woods

Back