Homeland And All Things Maher

The nursing home all red.fans aspire to. You even have your own designated driver bus

Attachments

• IMG_5216.png
    IMG_5216.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 15
Saw this article this morning and shared it with my son-in-law. Anchor Steam was the first craft beer I ever tasted when I visited my brother in 1974 who had recently moved to the Bay area. Loved it and he always had it waiting for me when I'd visit. Used to buy both the original and the Christmas Ale once in a while when we lived in Jersey, but have rarely seen it since we moved to NC. One hundred twenty seven years is quite a run; a shame to see them close.

Saw this article this morning and shared it with my son-in-law. Anchor Steam was the first craft beer I ever tasted when I visited my brother in 1974 who had recently moved to the Bay area. Loved it and he always had it waiting for me when I'd visit. Used to buy both the original and the Christmas Ale once in a while when we lived in Jersey, but have rarely seen it since we moved to NC. One hundred twenty seven years is quite a run; a shame to see them close.
Gateway to craft beer for me around the same time, 1972 or so. The Anchor Steam Christmas Ale was an old standby for my Dad (RIP) and I around the holidays, it was our tradition for that beer along with Sierra Nevada's Xmas and Samuel Smith's Christmas Ales during Christmases at our homes.

I read a much deeper dive piece in a beer publication and the failure was solidly laid on the lap on the new Owner of AS, Sapporo, the big Japanese conglomerate. They misunderstood the beer and brewery they bought; they fought unionization; they mismanaged personnel and production horribly; and Sapporo bought much bigger Stone out of San Diego and put their time and resources into Stone instead of Anchor Steam. Corporate greed strikes again.

Gateway to craft beer for me around the same time, 1972 or so. The Anchor Steam Christmas Ale was an old standby for my Dad (RIP) and I around the holidays, it was our tradition for that beer along with Sierra Nevada's Xmas and Samuel Smith's Christmas Ales during Christmases at our homes.

I read a much deeper dive piece in a beer publication and the failure was solidly laid on the lap on the new Owner of AS, Sapporo, the big Japanese conglomerate. They misunderstood the beer and brewery they bought; they fought unionization; they mismanaged personnel and production horribly; and Sapporo bought much bigger Stone out of San Diego and put their time and resources into Stone instead of Anchor Steam. Corporate greed strikes again.

Holy hell, talk about making all the wrong moves in just a few short years. What a shame. And I'm not even a big fan of Anchor Steam.

Just finished the fourth and final season of Jack Ryan on Prime.

What you would expect. The series was entertaining, but I usually like spy/action shows. And I also do like Tom Clancy books.

BR, we had some of the same Christmas beer traditions. I used to buy all three of the ones you referenced for Christmas season when we lived in Jersey and still buy the Sierra Nevada ale and the Sam Adams Christmas 12 pack. Particularly look forward to the Old Fezziwig & Holiday Porter which are only available as part of the Christmas pack (at least around here).

BR, we had some of the same Christmas beer traditions. I used to buy all three of the ones you referenced for Christmas season when we lived in Jersey and still buy the Sierra Nevada ale and the Sam Adams Christmas 12 pack. Particularly look forward to the Old Fezziwig & Holiday Porter which are only available as part of the Christmas pack (at least around here).
Old Fezziwig brings back memories of a really good holiday beer. biggest frustration was you couldn't get a 6 pack but only one at a time in a Boston Lager winter pack.

Just watched first episode of Goliath on Showtime. It’s about Wilt Chamberlain. Recounted the ending of the triple OT game between Wilt’s Kansas team and Frank McGuire’s N Carolina Tar Heels. Kansas was up one with under 10 seconds to go when the guy Wilt was guarding drove on him to the basket and one of Wilt’s teammates got called for a reach in foul and the guy hit both free throws giving Carolina the game and National Championship. Odds are Wilt could have eaten up that shot and didn’t need defensive help from his teammate. Could have changed result of game and championship and it was said that that started the narrative that Wilt wasn’t a winner.

Just watched first episode of Goliath on Showtime. It’s about Wilt Chamberlain. Recounted the ending of the triple OT game between Wilt’s Kansas team and Frank McGuire’s N Carolina Tar Heels. Kansas was up one with under 10 seconds to go when the guy Wilt was guarding drove on him to the basket and one of Wilt’s teammates got called for a reach in foul and the guy hit both free throws giving Carolina the game and National Championship. Odds are Wilt could have eaten up that shot and didn’t need defensive help from his teammate. Could have changed result of game and championship and it was said that that started the narrative that Wilt wasn’t a winner.
I started watching the first episode last week but stopped watching as it was late and I was nodding off. I plan on watching the documentary in its entirety.

Back