Happy Rick Pitino Day! Press Conference Commentary Only

The games are on tape, it isn't hard to find guys who dogged it in games last year. And anything other than games was witnessed by Van Macon. As we know, none of the players had entered the portal. Rick was letting them know to get started already.

The idea with Curbelo was "SJU wouldn't even had a shot at him" if there wasn't issues. And he wasn't alone. Pitino does not think he has to make those type of compromises, he believes players will want to play for him at SJU.

I think he's right.

Amazed at the number of people who think Jones is staying. Guys, did you watch this team at all last year? The days of "volume scorers" ( aka, guys who need 20 shots to make 6 buckets) are OVER. Zero basketball IQ, total black hole once he touches the ball. No chance he stays IMHO.
I agree with this. This year's team needed David Jones due to its many problems, but frankly he was wildly out of control and 80% of the time I was left shaking my head. I desperately tried to force myself time and again to see him as an asset but could never get there. He is a bench helper at best on a big time team, but doubt he would be able to accept that role. Frankly, I was surprised whenever he passed, which usually only happened after he futilely spent 3 to 5 seconds trying to shake and bake his way from the perimeter into the paint. These teams that make deep tourney runs swing the ball on the perimeter for open shots with blazing speed and surgical precision, which is what Pitino undoubtedly envisions. That is the opposite of Jones' game. Maybe better coaching changes this, but just don't see it right now.

Jack. That is the coach we hired preferred style of play. Always been big proponent of the three everywhere. I like Posh too but on paper not a good fit.
Can someone actually say what Pitino's style of play is? That every single last player on the roster be a good shooter?

I agree with this. This year's team needed David Jones due to its many problems, but frankly he was wildly out of control and 80% of the time I was left shaking my head. I desperately tried to force myself time and again to see him as an asset but could never get there. He is a bench helper at best on a big time team, but doubt he would be able to accept that role. Frankly, I was surprised whenever he passed, which usually only happened after he futilely spent 3 to 5 seconds trying to shake and bake his way from the perimeter into the paint. These teams that make deep tourney runs swing the ball on the perimeter for open shots with blazing speed and surgical precision, which is what Pitino undoubtedly envisions. That is the opposite of Jones' game. Maybe better coaching changes this, but just don't see it right now.
More like 15 to 20 seconds. Otherwise, I agree with all of this.

Can someone actually say what Pitino's style of play is? That every single last player on the roster be a good shooter?
Likes the 3 one of the first guys to really embrace it. Took Providence team to Final 4 with it. Posh is not a threat at all from there.
Someone can get Posh back to where he was as a player but probably not going to fit here.

What is status of Mo Keita?
I don't have information on your question but at this point the status for our whole current roster (other than Soriano) is pure speculation. The last thing I heard about Mo Keita was that after a few appearances this past season he was being redshirted. Viewed as a long term project anyway, how it plays out for him is pretty unclear.

Smart move on Pitino's part
Van did the heavy lifting in recruiting many of our current players
He is well connected and highly regarded in the metropolitan area
Yeah but many of the current players are no longer wanted it seems and I think cleaning house is a good idea to get a fresh start and build a new culture that reflects the current philosophy and coach. Also, it could be that retaining Van on the staff might help out in securing his testimony in the upcoming legal battle over CMA's termination and payout.

I'm sure Pitino heard the ill report on players from Shanley and Cragg, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he also heard it from Soriano.

Michael Irvin immediately told his former Miami Hurricane coach, Jimmy Johnson (once Johnson took the Cowboys job), of players who didn't work hard, didn't care, or wasn't good teammates. Johnson
ridded the Cowboys of several of those players.

Last edited:
Can't believe I teared up watching a press conference. Must be getting old.
We should all feel this way. It’s been a long time coming. We hold candles for teams more than 2 decades old and 4 decades old. We speak in hushed reverent tones for people named Boo, Marcus, Buckets, Marcellus, etc who gave us great moments but frankly, really never won anything because we are so damned starved to win. I’m 46 and venture to guess I’m still on the younger side of posters on this board.

We all share the years of futility, Fran dropping his pants, the night in Pittsburgh, seeing Jarvis’ stupid face on ESPN in the years after, Malik Sealy dying, the losses to Niagara, St. Francis, and NJIT, the legendary player coming back as a coach and basically quitting after a few years.

We’ve been through a lot. I’ve been away for the last 4 days due to a death in the family so I’m just taking a lot of this in today, but if someone on this board doesn’t feel the same way you feel right now, they’re not a real fan. We have…hope. Real hope. For once. The honesty alone in that presser was something I’ve wanted to hear for a long, long time, and that’s why I think this is real. For once.

Back