Happy Rick Pitino Day! Press Conference Commentary Only

Its being reported that outside of Drissa and Soriano, all the kids were issues behind the scenes. Hence why they all are getting replaced.
Maybe some of the Freshman got in with "the wrong crowd" or didn't have the personal maturity to walk away from negativity. I mean adults standing around the water cooler can get pretty negative not only about their jobs but also about the company they work for. I am hopeful AJ can be worked with.

Dont forget the mass transfer of some really good kids like the duke and greg williams jr. They wanted no part of the cma dysfunction.

But we had 0 transfers before last season. So Soriano, Posh and Wusu wanted to be a part of dysfunction? Duke and Greg rightfully stepped down a level. They weren't starters at this level.

Maybe some of the Freshman got in with "the wrong crowd" or didn't have the personal maturity to walk away from negativity. I mean adults standing around the water cooler can get pretty negative not only about their jobs but also about the company they work for. I am hopeful AJ can be worked with.
Agreed. Storr was only here for 8 months. Hopefully he didnt cause many issues. I didnt get that vibe from him.

I think Posh is not an expendable commodity and I hate the negative mojo I am feeling in regards to him. He's a 3 year starter at PG. He's a defensive pain in the *** for the opposition. Soriano, Posh, Jones, Storr and Addae-Wusu stay in my opinion (which isn't much based on my tourney bracket). All could have important roles through experience and/or skills. I could see every other Fr/So from this team in the portal by the end of the month.
If Pitino is the GOAT he'll enjoy transforming his game and make him an all around good player

During his sophomore season, there was a "who would you rather have" thread comparing Posh to Shamorie Ponds. IDK what the final tally was, or even it that was the title of the thread, but there was plenty of support for Posh, myself included. Posh willed our guys to victory a bunch of times with big steals, offensive rebounds in traffic, and making big shots. He just wasn't right all of this past season, perhaps for some of the reasons posters have offered up. Who wouldn't want a rejuvenated Posh for one final season with a hall of fame coach there to get the best out of him?

I agree with this. This year's team needed David Jones due to its many problems, but frankly he was wildly out of control and 80% of the time I was left shaking my head. I desperately tried to force myself time and again to see him as an asset but could never get there. He is a bench helper at best on a big time team, but doubt he would be able to accept that role. Frankly, I was surprised whenever he passed, which usually only happened after he futilely spent 3 to 5 seconds trying to shake and bake his way from the perimeter into the paint. These teams that make deep tourney runs swing the ball on the perimeter for open shots with blazing speed and surgical precision, which is what Pitino undoubtedly envisions. That is the opposite of Jones' game. Maybe better coaching changes this, but just don't see it right now.
Soriano is not coming without his buddy

I wasn't able to watch the presser earlier but just watched it now. OMG! I am so excited for our program! He's here for at least 6 years. Hopefully more! I want Fr. Shanley to run the school forever. Shanley is a basketball guy and understands how important our program is to the school, thank God! I still want tot start the season tomorrow. I can't wait to see the kids that Pitino brings in. I'm not going to be able to sleep until next March!

I wasn't able to watch the presser earlier but just watched it now. OMG! I am so excited for our program! He's here for at least 6 years. Hopefully more! I want Fr. Shanley to run the school forever. Shanley is a basketball guy and understands how important our program is to the school, thank God! I still want tot start the season tomorrow. I can't wait to see the kids that Pitino brings in. I'm not going to be able to sleep until next March!
Your woman from the dating site is in for a big night 😁

Just finished watching the press conference. Pitino said coming in that he had to change the culture at St. John's. It is therefore no surprise that he stressed that he wanted players that wanted to win. As others have stated, he was given a pretty negative review on a big portion of the team. That could have been because of attitude problems, lack of effort on the court, and even poor academics. Keeping those type of players around would just foster a culture he is here to change. As for wanting shooters, he said a lot more than that. He mentioned 3 characteristics of his type of player: those that can shoot the ball, play tough defense, and don't fatigue.

Maybe some players will get the hint and run for the exists. Like coach said, not everyone will love playing for him. You have to love the game, and love winning, like he does. Joel was the only player this past season that brought it every night. He will benefit from coach Pitino greatly. I see room for another step forward. Big things are ahead, and coach Pitino is certain of it. It still doesn't seem real.

He is just trashing our current players. It must be much worse behind the scenes then we even thought.
Motivation.. Pitino uses the media to make a point with his players without calling them out individually.. He will keep any player currently at St Johns that will give him 100 percent effort... He said the same kind of things we took over Louisville in 2001.. If players won't buy into that and aren't willing to do what he outlines for them to get done (Workouts - weight loss - grades) - he will help them transfer out.. If St Johns has any players that don't like to play defense - you can go ahead and say your goodbyes to those players..

Aside from what everyone mentioned about what he said what struck me the most ( not just because I work in finance ) was when he talked about NIL and Joel wanting to help out his family and Pitino said something like that was great but take a little piece of that and invest it. Those aren't just hoops lessons he's teaching already those are great life lessons

Back