(EXHIBITION) @Rutgers, Thu., Oct. 17, 6:30p, BTN

That’s right . Losing to Pace , Acquinas , the little Sisters of the Blind gave us a good read on some of our past teams.

I watched my taped version late last night , after disasters from Yanks and Mets

The 20-0 Rutgers early run was ugly , reminiscent of many past years catastrophes but , the Tran fought hard , never quit and had a great last 5 minute run.

First , Bailey and Harper could both , be 1sr round picks . They are other worldly on the offensive end .

Bailey can shoot and hit from anywhere and did! Harper being a lefty than can get to the rim or close enough, is very tough to defend .

A couple of the Knights beefy guys , the 1 with the nasty tatooo and Martini from Princeton could play OL on Saturdays , they were good secondary players .

Our team , was relentless and never gave up and it was a long climb to win the game .
Wilcher played very well . Smith was ok , he’s quick for sure but , I didn’t see any range shooting from him . Zuby was Superman last night ! Much improved all around .

Scott ? Didn’t notice much , mostly due to not recognizing their uniform numbers yet.

Dunlop was disappointing . Did he make a shot ? Looked like his game wasn’t much different than last year . I’m hoping it was just 1 st game performance .

Richmond is going to be the Straw that stirs the drink . His PT was limited by his foul situation but , he took over at crunch time down the stretch .

We seem to lack that long range shooter that can light it up when needed . Dunlop should be that guy but , he wasn’t last night .

Lefty didn’t play and Prey was a cameo .

The Announcers were awful and the Refs not much better .
Bailey and Harper (along with Cooper Flagg) were projected to be one and done first rounders after this year before they even laced up their sneakers for summer workouts.

What I like at the end of the game Luis shut down Harper and Scott shut down Bailey. We have are starting 5. But what is the bench going to be. And what players are going to step up?
Assuming guys like Vince, Glover & Dunlap will get more minutes in the Towson game. Has anyone seen whether that one will be televised anywhere?

I love the schedule coming up. Towson scrimmage then 3 lighter opponents to build up to New Mexico at MSG — which is the perfect step up to the Bahamas field.

We didn’t see any real Pitino pressure last night so we’ve got a month to install that for the Bahamas…and we get a look at a fantastic PG in Donovan Dent right before.

I don’t get the complaints about the announcers. I think they did a great job FOR THE BIG TEN NETWORK. Clearly their announcing was biased but was that not to be expected? Especially with all the hype surrounding Rutgers recruited class.
Yea sometimes feels like people here expect Nantz and Raftery on an SJU Rutgers exhibition game 3 weeks before the season starts lol

I love the schedule coming up. Towson scrimmage then 3 lighter opponents to build up to New Mexico at MSG — which is the perfect step up to the Bahamas field.
Really like the start to the season... def learned from last year
-Fordham (predicted 2nd to last in A10)
-Quinnipiac (predicted top of the conf)
-Wagner
1 solid test- and great opportunities for Rick to see what he has from 7 on down in the rotation

We'll be more than prepped to curb stomp New Mexico @MSG and be ranked heading into the Bahamas.

Zuby might be best suited for the 4 spot, but at Kansas, he was a 5 and right now, he's doing a great job at the 5. As long as there aren't two other guys who can fill the role, he will continue to be our center.
Zuby was 1-4 from 3. His other 11 makes I’m sure came within 2 feet of the basket.

He looked FANTASTIC, but he is playing the appropriate position for him to succeed. He is not a college 4. He might be an old school power forward but that is not the game anymore.

Zuby might be best suited for the 4 spot, but at Kansas, he was a 5 and right now, he's doing a great job at the 5. As long as there aren't two other guys who can fill the role, he will continue to be our center.
Zuby is an undersized 5. Every time he had the ball at the top of the key he looked ready to make a mistake. He will have a ton of turnovers this year.

Coach is trying to get him to grow as a player and get ready for the next level as well. It won’t happen overnight.

His completely set shot is beautiful. When he has any moving parts it’s a bad shot. He will just have to learn to pick his spots. Take the best 2 looks he gets all game. Be patient, they will be there.

The dribble will be the last piece to the puzzle, but I don’t expect it to happen this year…maybe 2 dribbles and pick it up in stride against bigger centers. That’s it.

Zuby and Kadary complement each other well. Kadary brings everyone with him to the rim on his drives and Zuby cleans up. Kadary is slow, controlled, and deliberate…Zuby (and Wilcher) are lightning in a bottle.

This is a great point. You can only go on 22-0 runs if the other time helps you. The thing about Kadary is the game is slow to him. He’s not turning the ball over, the defense is not going to get into his head, and he’s going to make the correct basketball play. Some of the time the correct backetball play is for him no make a play himself (I hope it’s less than he had to do last year). The point is that run doesn’t happen if Kadary is on the floor even for a bit of it and Kadary isn’t going to pick up a 3rd foul willy-nilly.

At the end of the day it’s an exhibition and Pitino is still learning too. I just hope he learns his starting 5 before late February this year.
Not sure and don’t care who starts but who finishes and pretty sure the 5 on the court will be the finishing starting point and changed as specific circumstances dictate. Pitino and Pikiell both obviously wanted the “W”.

St. John's was 362 out of 362 last year in how much they played players in the first half with 2 fouls. Sitting guys with 2 fouls as a hard and fast rule is terrible strategy. Sitting your best player, a G/F, while the other team goes on a 22-0 run is dumb on its face. Pitino is dead-wrong on this one, and hopefully it doesn't bite us this year.
We won the game and Kadary was a factor in the 2nd half. That we were able to survive a 22-0 run shows the resilience this team has. Pitino is well aware of what Kadary can do. I believe he was looking to see how the rest of the team would respond. Smith and Wilcher came on in the second half. I believe that the reason was they learned from the first half and our Coach made some adjustments.

Once Smith settles in, Dunlap should be fine. He’s a fraction of a second too quick on his shot. IMO, he just needs to learn to trust that he will get good looks and not force it. He has a few nice passes as usual and was solid on defense.

The spacing and screening were both lousy. Ayo was the only non-5 to even attempt screens that I saw.
Think Dunlap practices his shot in those old church gyms with the really low ceilings.

Back