(EXHIBITION) @Rutgers, Thu., Oct. 17, 6:30p, BTN

Good game. When you are there with 2 little kids, you can't be 100% focused. Thought we were great and hungry on the boards. We were very sloppy during Rutgers run. Bad passes, miscommunication, etc. This will get worked out as the year gets on. RJ while good, could have been better. He seemed to force a few things. He's at his best when he is settled in. Zuby looks like a force, glad he's with us. Kadary could pretty much get where he wanted to. Simeon solid as was Scott. Brady struggled on D and wasnt a factor. Deivon, look forward to him in this system. It was a gritty win and nice to see a bunch of SJU fans in the building.

Overall, a good first night, especially after the Yankees debacle.

Zuby with a big game, albeit against a center-less team. But give him credit, he thoroughly took advantage of it. How he fares against BE 5s still TBD.

Richmond, Luis, Scott and Simeon with nice games. Simeon with the good 2nd half. Richmond obviously too!

What little I saw of Vince did not impress me, but he wasn't in long enough to get a good feel of what he might become.

Brady really struggles. If he's not hitting shots, then what? Really would have liked to have seen more of Glover, and maybe Prey.

But a good start on the road that Pitino wanted to win.

I think what Pitino said in the post game presser was spot on. A huge part in determining how successful this team will be is the development of a back up center to either spell Zuby or allow him to slide over to the 4 and go big. Either Vince, Prey or Maker are going to have to develop enough to be serviceable for stretches of the game. Hopefully, before conference play starts.

-Start saving up to retain Zuby…his motor doesn’t even make any sense

-That mid-post back down by Richmond will be one of the best plays in the country and the pass to the perimeter will be there all year

-Wilcher is exponentially better in space…great complement to Richmond and pretty shot…shaky handle

-Luis will gets tons of steals

-Smith seems to be in the dog house (or Pitino trying to motivate) but he’s the only one that can do the things he can do

-Defensive rebounding will be a problem…Richmond will have to carry extra weight there…Scott as well

-Vince looked awful

-Smith finds those corners so freaking well it will open up shooters and lead to easy baskets off the extra pass that won’t show up for home in the stat sheet

-Spacing and screening sucked
Agree with all of your observations. I also agree with MCNPA regarding the Glover/Dunlap competition. I like Dunlap but he didn't show much last night.

Ahhhhh the chill of autumn and nothing beats reading a Game Thread the day after. I encourage more people to read the day after. It's therapeutic for me. I say to myself I have problems but at least I didn't say that.

In short everyone was told they sucked at some point in this thread last night except Zuby, Maker and Lefty.

Maker didn't play but is going to be 'a stud'.

We are going to rebound well. Rebounding is going to be a problem.

I'm sure there are more extremes but only one read of 29 pages. After all its only a goddamn exhibition game.

All is normal in the SJU world!

While both coaches wanted to win, unless Pitino was trying to send a message to Luis, starting Ayo in the first half was confusing. During a portion of Rutgers early run in the first half, Pitino had Ayo, Dunlap and Prey on the court at the same time. With that, I woukd venture to say that the first half was to experiment, the second half was for the win.

We won the game and Kadary was a factor in the 2nd half. That we were able to survive a 22-0 run shows the resilience this team has. Pitino is well aware of what Kadary can do. I believe he was looking to see how the rest of the team would respond. Smith and Wilcher came on in the second half. I believe that the reason was they learned from the first half and our Coach made some adjustments.
I think you are right, and I am sure if it was a regular season game he would have called at least one time out during the 22-0 run and most likely put Richmond back in to stop the bleeding. The more important point I was trying to make is that last season Pitino played guys with 2 fouls in the first half less than any other coach in the country. Having that as a hard and fast rule makes no sense to me. Here is an interesting article about it which does a good job of laying out all points of view:

Pitino wanted to see how his team responded to this adversity and let it get out of hand. This is the time to let his team adjust to adversity. In season I am sure he would have called more timeouts and put in upperclassmen.
We’re all discussing how Zuby and et al had a good game. I think coach RP had a good game as well. He got to see most his players play in live action and to get a pulse of this team’s chemistry and character. Now he knows what to focus on in the next practice. This is a journey and sitting kids with two fouls is an opportunity for someone else to step up. And an opportunity for RP to assess talent to know better down the road whether to sit a player with two fouls. This is what exhibitions are for.

A little surprised that Lefteris didn’t see any run. I haven’t seen an injury or anything. I don’t think he has a huge role this season but zero minutes in an exhibition? Given that Dunlap is struggling mightily I wouldn’t mind someone else taking his shots.

Lots for this team to work on. These type of games are more valuable then some of the warmup games we’ll play. Hopefully these charity exhibitions continue every season.
Rick doles out minutes differently. Rather than split 20 minutes between 4 or 5 guys, he may give 2 guys 8-12 mins and next game give minutes to 2 guys who sat.

I think you are right, and I am sure if it was a regular season game he would have called at least one time out during the 22-0 run and most likely put Richmond back in to stop the bleeding. The more important point I was trying to make is that last season Pitino played guys with 2 fouls in the first half less than any other coach in the country. Having that as a hard and fast rule makes no sense to me. Here is an interesting article about it which does a good job of laying out all points of view:
If that's his strategy, he's the coach.
As for Kadary and his 2nd foul, please note that Rutgers has a great freshman who's NBA ready physically and who is skilled at attacking opposing players with foul trouble.
Kadary could have easily picked up his 3rd foul against a player like Dylan Harper.

Good or Bad performances, this is ONE exhibition. It’s a process.

THIS! lol....

its not really a game thread without Joe3 or whatever he goes by now... he was entertaining.
Unlike many who felt this was a Exhibition game and could be not more than a scrimmage , I thought the Players on both teams played hard .
Like this was a in Season game to the winner .

So , I took more from it than a game against Mt St Mary’s or Pace .

Back