(EXHIBITION) @Rutgers, Thu., Oct. 17, 6:30p, BTN

I stupidly changed the channel back to the st john's game when weaver had two strikes on Thomas; thought game was over...

During a portion of Rutgers early run in the first half, Pitino had Ayo, Dunlap and Prey on the court at the same time. With that, I woukd venture to say that the first half was to experiment, the second half was for the win.
Makes me wonder if coach was playing twelve dimensional chess and wanted Rutgers to take a lead to see how we would react or add to the pressure in the 2nd half when we would play to win.

Last edited:
I also would add that the only reason the game even seemed so close was because we had gone down 20-something points and needed to throttle them in the second, claw back all those points to come back and win.

If we played the way we did in the second for the entire game it would have been a blowout. I’m super impressed with those two freshmen for Rutgers, but they essentially carried the team. When we straightened our coverages out we looked like a different team. Those young’ins also gotta learn how to pass. 2 assists between the two of them. They’ll need to get the rest of the team involved. Additionally Rutgers has a post-player problem which is that they have none. Like zero. They coulda used Cliff. We could have too:

Being 362 out of 362 is not a relevant stat. Real question is how many games has Pitino lost by following this rulegMoreover, he is a better coach than all but ten or so of those 361 coaches.
We have two very good point guards who aren't named Kadary. If the team can't at least stay in a game without him, we are in big trouble. Any player who KNOWS he will sit out the rest of the half, will try really hard to not pick up a second foul.

Zuby is an undersized 5. Every time he had the ball at the top of the key he looked ready to make a mistake. He will have a ton of turnovers this year.

Coach is trying to get him to grow as a player and get ready for the next level as well. It won’t happen overnight.

His completely set shot is beautiful. When he has any moving parts it’s a bad shot. He will just have to learn to pick his spots. Take the best 2 looks he gets all game. Be patient, they will be there.

The dribble will be the last piece to the puzzle, but I don’t expect it to happen this year…maybe 2 dribbles and pick it up in stride against bigger centers. That’s it.

Zuby and Kadary complement each other well. Kadary brings everyone with him to the rim on his drives and Zuby cleans up. Kadary is slow, controlled, and deliberate…Zuby (and Wilcher) are lightning in a bottle.
I agree with a lot of what you've written, but he only had one turnover in many minutes. Do you really care that he looked ready to make a mistake if he didn't? Also, Zuby is 3 inches less undersized that Anthony Glover was.

Zuby is 6'9", 235.
Adama Sanogo is 6'9", 250
It's a good comparison by size and of course Sanogo was the Final Four MVP 2 years ago.

However, Sanogo, as an undersized center (for the NBA), went undrafted, and is a G league player with a 2 way contract for the Bulls.

What Zuby is trying to develop, with Rick's guidance, are NBA level skills as a forward. Before this all came up I was assured by someone close to Zuby that he had the physical skills to play forward. The other night we got a further glimpse of his soeed and agility. Rick chided Zuby in the press conference for only taking one 3 pt shot, laughing and saying Zuby wants to keep his 3 point % high.

Zuby came here from.Kansas completely because of Rick- Rick jokes that it was because he had a terrible coach at Kansas in Self (who Rick loves as a coach).

A few years back it appeared that Shamorie Ponds, with tons of talent (albeit undersized) didn't work hard enough on conditioning and other parts of his game that needed it.

Zuby is working hard to be NBA ready when he is done here. We got a glimpse of his improvement the other night. No matter what position he plays I'm rooting for him to kill it. With this roster he only has to pull his own weight, which with the guys around him should provide some very big moments for him.

Deivon gettin' that patented Pitino tough love!
Rick is silently wishing he had Jenkins for 1 more year . If you recall , from last year , Rick never had anything but ,praise for Daniss .
Marillac 2 , on the other hand , had Jenkins in the Confessional after , during and before every game .
Smith will adjust to BE basketball but , he’s small and will likely face bigger BE guards that will try and post him up . He is very quick though . I’m sure teams throughout his career have tried to post him up but , don’t know if that was effective or not ?
He didn’t display any shooting touch in this game but, perhaps I missed it . Might just have been the flow of the game , which was a lot of driving to the hoop by both, teams .
And , both teams put up a more than fair amount of 3’s . I didn’t see Smith shoot one but , again could have missed it .

It's a good comparison by size and of course Sanogo was the Final Four MVP 2 years ago.

However, Sanogo, as an undersized center (for the NBA), went undrafted, and is a G league player with a 2 way contract for the Bulls.

What Zuby is trying to develop, with Rick's guidance, are NBA level skills as a forward. Before this all came up I was assured by someone close to Zuby that he had the physical skills to play forward. The other night we got a further glimpse of his soeed and agility. Rick chided Zuby in the press conference for only taking one 3 pt shot, laughing and saying Zuby wants to keep his 3 point % high.

Zuby came here from.Kansas completely because of Rick- Rick jokes that it was because he had a terrible coach at Kansas in Self (who Rick loves as a coach).

A few years back it appeared that Shamorie Ponds, with tons of talent (albeit undersized) didn't work hard enough on conditioning and other parts of his game that needed it.

Zuby is working hard to be NBA ready when he is done here. We got a glimpse of his improvement the other night. No matter what position he plays I'm rooting for him to kill it. With this roster he only has to pull his own weight, which with the guys around him should provide some very big moments for him.
He should be trying to develop all his offensive skills regardless of position. And it sure looks like his doing so.

Bam Adedayo is a 6’9 all star nba center. Built exactly like Zuby and is doing all those things people believe a “pf” should do.

NBA and college want 4 perimeter players on the court. Not just guys who can hit a wide open catch and shoot 3, but someone who can attack a close out. Or on the other end switch 2-4 defensively. It is a strength to be able to play the 5 at 6’9 and handle the paint duties while also being more of a threat offensively than a traditional center, it’s not a weakness.

Zuby is 6'9", 235.
Adama Sanogo is 6'9", 250
Their weights are irrelevant compared to their style of play. I can’t see how Zuby is 235 anyway. He’s big and strong and not lacking in physical presence:

Forget the threes, Zuby has to get more reliable making the bunnies around the basket. He’s good at them but could be a bit more controlled, with too many misses and tip backs. He was a monster on the offensive glass which allowed him to get those back, but if he becomes automatic 15 ft and in, using glass etc, that’s where he will earn his keep.

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of what you've written, but he only had one turnover in many minutes. Do you really care that he looked ready to make a mistake if he didn't? Also, Zuby is 3 inches less undersized that Anthony Glover was.
A bad pass is still a bad pass. Just because it hits a defender's foot and is not a turnover doesn't make it a good decision. It's not the end of the world, but it is a teachable moment.

He's going to have his share of turnovers this year...I'm largely okay with that depending on the situation. If we are up by 10 in the first half, get a little frisky. My son threw a deep interception in his game last night on 4th down...that was the situation for it. He does that on 1st down inside our 20 and that's a different story ; )

I'll add...I always give big men extra room when they take care of their primary responsibilities. Zuby will always crash the glass...it's in his DNA. Marvin Clark on the other hand....

Good game. When you are there with 2 little kids, you can't be 100% focused. Thought we were great and hungry on the boards. We were very sloppy during Rutgers run. Bad passes, miscommunication, etc. This will get worked out as the year gets on. RJ while good, could have been better. He seemed to force a few things. He's at his best when he is settled in. Zuby looks like a force, glad he's with us. Kadary could pretty much get where he wanted to. Simeon solid as was Scott. Brady struggled on D and wasnt a factor. Deivon, look forward to him in this system. It was a gritty win and nice to see a bunch of SJU fans in the building.
At first, I was not sure if you were talking about the game or your two little kids.
Hungry, sloppy, and miscommunication reminds me of when my kids were young. 😉😁

He should be trying to develop all his offensive skills regardless of position. And it sure looks like his doing so.

Bam Adedayo is a 6’9 all star nba center. Built exactly like Zuby and is doing all those things people believe a “pf” should do.

NBA and college want 4 perimeter players on the court. Not just guys who can hit a wide open catch and shoot 3, but someone who can attack a close out. Or on the other end switch 2-4 defensively. It is a strength to be able to play the 5 at 6’9 and handle the paint duties while also being more of a threat offensively than a traditional center, it’s not a weakness.
Zach Edey will be fascinating this year to watch. For the most part, NBA teams want their centers to be more mobile and athletic (literally like Zuby), so they can switch onto the perimeter guys on offense and battle for rebounds.

The traditional center position is going extinct, but the traditional power forward is not far behind...

A bad pass is still a bad pass. Just because it hits a defender's foot and is not a turnover doesn't make it a good decision. It's not the end of the world, but it is a teachable moment.

He's going to have his share of turnovers this year...I'm largely okay with that depending on the situation. If we are up by 10 in the first half, get a little frisky. My son threw a deep interception in his game last night on 4th down...that was the situation for it. He does that on 1st down inside our 20 and that's a different story ; )

I'll add...I always give big men extra room when they take care of their primary responsibilities. Zuby will always crash the glass...it's in his DNA. Marvin Clark on the other hand....
I’m on the same page as you re zuby, but if your implying that back door bounce pass that got poked wasn’t a nice little look then I disagree. He had some of those last year. And the good thing is, it’s the passing lane that will be available to the 5.

Jaren Jackson Jr is also an interesting person for Zuby to watch since he's also a poor rebounder. But JJJ is taller and a longer wingspan, better 3point shot and all-world defender.

Back