(EXHIBITION) @Rutgers, Thu., Oct. 17, 6:30p, BTN

This one was a simple one. When Kardary was playing we did real well when he wasn’t we struggled.

I don’t know if there’s a box score available but I wouldn’t be surprised if he lead in reb, assists, steals, blocks and +/-.

Not sure what you can read into an exhibition, but I’m glad they showed life after the 20-0 Rutgers run.

I’m sure Rutgers is happy with Harper and Bailey off the jump.

This one was a simple one. When Kardary was playing we did real well when he wasn’t we struggled.

I don’t know if there’s a box score available but I wouldn’t be surprised if he lead in reb, assists, steals, blocks and +/-.

Not sure what you can read into an exhibition, but I’m glad they showed life after the 20-0 Rutgers run.

I’m sure Rutgers is happy with Harper and Bailey off the jump.
Didn't lead in rebounds or steals (second in both), but did lead in all the other ones you mentioned (tied with Scott for blocks).

Recorded the game, and just finished watching it. Just a few thoughts:

If this performance by Zuby was for real, then this team is going places this year. I expected him to be better, but I didn't think he would be that much better.

Richmond's actual numbers are going to be irrelevant this season. He is the most important guy on this team. When he was out in the first half, we looked lost. He is clearly a coach on the floor for this team, and his winning experience paid off at the end of this one.

We stunk from the line, as usual, but had 12 more attempts than Rutgers. Last year, we were about minus-80 for the season in free throw attempts.

We turned it over 9 times in the first 13 or 14 minutes, and then just 2 the rest of the way. That was big.

We looked much fresher than Rutgers did, down the stretch of the game. Score one for the strength and conditioning staff (and Richmond was probably fresh, because he sat for so long in the first half).
We have the best 6 in the conference, the Creighton probably being the closest 2nd. Have 10 games to watch for development of 6-10. And please tell him to leave the Iona kid where he was all last season.

Outside of Zubys play which was amazing, Luis who’s was expected and Sim who had a fine second half, I came away most impressed with Aaron Scott whose defense on Bailey was sorely needed to win this game as well as a few of his timely blocks.

Would like to see Smith using his speed to drive to the basket more like his highlight videos have shown. Brady connect on his threes or stay on the bench. Luis make his foul shots. Coach get his rotation down to 9 or maybe 10 max and give Glover more time which I believe will come as his D improves. And hopefully see a sampling of Maker, Lio and Prey in the future.

Great ending for our boys which took the sting away a bit from a disastrous ending to the Yankee game.

Way too soon observations;

Zuby a beast, but needs some relief and not sure yet if Prey or Vince can fill that need. Hope so.

Smith found his rhythm and showed good command at the point finding right open guys in transition and is obviously quick and strong. He also will generate a lot of steals.

An off the ball Sim, Smith and Kadary will be a force in the BE.

Scott is one of those flexible pieces you need at both ends of court.

No sense beating up Brady, but he either makes shots or loses time.

Question marks overall imo are previously noted interior back up play and three point shooting. Hopefully both areas evolve in early play.

Like this group’s potential.

Yes, I think Zuby will be a great anchor to this squad, and I do think that as the season goes on we will cobble together a decent back up, maybe by committee.

Luis was terrific and generally in control, unlike last season, so I am optimistic that he will be better (and I was pretty negative on him last year).

Wilcher was good, and showed the kind of talent we saw flashes of late last year.

KR was solid and I suspect will be much more impactful that he had to be yesterday.

I think this is a really solid group. And potentially deep. Would have liked to see more of Prey and Glover. I thought that Rick played a more narrow rotation that I thought he would, but it is early.

Overall, this is the kind of game we lose in the past. The coming back several times was great, and this is where the senior leadership will be important.

I DID like RUs 2 great freshmen. They will be very, very good.

St. John's was 362 out of 362 last year in how much they played players in the first half with 2 fouls. Sitting guys with 2 fouls as a hard and fast rule is terrible strategy. Sitting your best player, a G/F, while the other team goes on a 22-0 run is dumb on its face. Pitino is dead-wrong on this one, and hopefully it doesn't bite us this year.

As some of you know Deivon is my guy so i'll add this. Rick loves him but has been VERY demanding of him, rightfully so. His speed and skill has carried him in the past now he's learning the nuances of playing the point. No doghouse. This team is REALLY good but they need him. His speed, on ball pressure, rebounding from the guard spot and ability to get into the lane and create open shots. He's progressing and will be a 30+ min guy for this team. He's an elite college player.

As some of you know Deivon is my guy so i'll add this. Rick loves him but has been VERY demanding of him, rightfully so. His speed and skill has carried him in the past now he's learning the nuances of playing the point. No doghouse. This team is REALLY good but they need him. His speed, on ball pressure, rebounding from the guard spot and ability to get into the lane and create open shots. He's progressing and will be a 30+ min guy for this team. He's an elite college player.
Was really impressed with his vision last night.

He made a couple passes that teammates weren't quite ready for, but I think with more time together they will start to know what he is capable of passing the ball. It will be a huge asset

Dvrd the game and watched it after the Yankees loss. Not much to add other than it was an enjoyable watching them battle and comeback.

Richmond had a bad shooting night but was a difference maker when on the floor.

Zuby missed a few put back shots early as there was no touch on the shorts but played with a vengeance and to say he settled in nicely would be a huge understatement.

Scott hit an opening three and we did not see much on offense from him until he hit the other two threes in the second half and that was it. I would like to see more on offense.

Luis had a nice game, the stroke looks better from the field but needs to get it going from the free throw lines line. With his quickness and long arms, he and Kadary should be among the league leaders in steals.

With everything being said, it is only one game and one that doesn’t count. Players have bad games and some have games where they are really good only not to reach that level again. The thing I take the most of out of this was the fight after RU’s 20-0 (?) run and double digit lead to comeback and make it close a couple of times only to see it go back to double digits, then get the game tied and watch them go up again before coming back and finishing them off including two defensive stops on good plays leading to free throws and a basket. That determination and fight bodes well.

Dvrd the game and watched it after the Yankees loss. Not much to add other than it was an enjoyable watching them battle and comeback.

Richmond had a bad shooting night but was a difference maker when on the floor.

Zuby missed a few put back shots early as there was no touch on the shorts but played with a vengeance and to say he settled in nicely would be a huge understatement.

Scott hit an opening three and we did not see much on offense from him until he hit the other two threes in the second half and that was it. I would like to see more on offense.

Luis had a nice game, the stroke looks better from the field but needs to get it going from the free throw lines line. With his quickness and long arms, he and Kadary should be among the league leaders in steals.

With everything being said, it is only one game and one that doesn’t count. Players have bad games and some have games where they are really good only not to reach that level again. The thing I take the most of out of this was the fight after RU’s 20-0 (?) run and double digit lead to comeback and make it close a couple of times only to see it go back to double digits, then get the game tied and watch them go up again before coming back and finishing them off including two defensive stops on good plays leading to free throws and a basket. That determination and fight bodes well.
I guess I had more to add (say) than I originally thought when I started the above post.

Back