(EXHIBITION) @Rutgers, Thu., Oct. 17, 6:30p, BTN

You’re wrong, but it’s not worth the argument. Time will show what he is. He’s a ground-based player that will be useful against bigger centers. That’s it.

We will need his rebounding. Maker will easily pass him by next season if he’s still here.
Not passing judgment but Rick LOVES projects and doesn't waste his time on stiffs.

What looks like coal right now might just be a diamond with a little positive pressure applied.

I unfortunately missed most of the second half to watch the Mets. But if Zuby has NBA dreams, he should look at Precious Achiwua and Paul Reed. Both guys are similar athletic ability, similar height & wingspan, and play the majority at the five in the NBA. Both are bruisers who are not dribbling the ball. They are in the NBA for rebounding, setting screens, and being able to block shots, while occasionally hitting the open three.

Last edited:
-Start saving up to retain Zuby…his motor doesn’t even make any sense

-That mid-post back down by Richmond will be one of the best plays in the country and the pass to the perimeter will be there all year

-Wilcher is exponentially better in space…great complement to Richmond and pretty shot…shaky handle

-Luis will gets tons of steals

-Smith seems to be in the dog house (or Pitino trying to motivate) but he’s the only one that can do the things he can do

-Defensive rebounding will be a problem…Richmond will have to carry extra weight there…Scott as well

-Vince looked awful

-Smith finds those corners so freaking well it will open up shooters and lead to easy baskets off the extra pass that won’t show up for home in the stat sheet

-Spacing and screening sucked
Spot on post

You’re wrong, but it’s not worth the argument. Time will show what he is. He’s a ground-based player that will be useful against bigger centers. That’s it.

We will need his rebounding. Maker will easily pass him by next season if he’s still here.
I like Maker’s shot blocking and fluidity but don’t know yet what he can be.

Kadary with 9 of our 25 defensive rebounds. He was so tough there in the 2nd.

Zuby not nearly as adept at clearing the defensive glass as he is on the O boards. It’s a different approach. 10 of his 13 came on the offensive end, that’s incredible!
Richmond is a monster on the defensive glass. He’s so strong. He will have to be in literally every minute Zuby is on the floor.

Luis and Scott will have to do some heavy lifting. Smith too.

Had to run out for a bit at halftime but just watched the 2nd half.

For those saying Pitino kept Kadary on the bench for the whole 1st half after he picked up his 2nd foul only because it was an exhibition were proven wrong in the 2nd half. Pitino treated this as a real game the whole time. Even had the emphatic fist pump on the sideline when Luis forced the over and back turnover. Benching Kadary the whole half could have cost us the game and it will cost us a game at some point. Kadary only picked up 1 more foul the rest of the game. I just don't get it.

As I said, once the ball was tipped Pitino treated this as a real game. I'm not sure if the full scouting report was put in (more on that next) but in the 2nd half Pitino shortened the rotation bigtime and that shows where guys stand on the depth chart currently.
- Zuby played amazing obviously but Vince didn't even sniff the court in the 2nd half. Rick likes his upside but doesn't trust him yet.
- Glover and Prey are two other guys that Rick likes long term but they aren't ready yet. Both saw the court in the first half but not even long enough to break a sweat
- Nothing at all for Lefty
- Spot minutes for Brady. He's going to have to make some shots or he'll be on the bench all year

The defense was bad today but I'm not overly concerned about it. It looked like the team was prepared for a generic opponent and didn't tailor their strategy based on Rutgers' players. That's fine. They overhelped off shooters when they didn't need too way too much giving Rutgers open 3s. Also had Dunlap guarding Harper on back to back possessions which did not end well for us. Rutgers also made a handful of ridiculous shots, mostly the two stud Freshmen. The defense will improve by leaps and bounds.

Zuby is going to have a way bigger impact this year than Soriano had last year. His growth between last year's exhibition vs Rutgers and this game is astounding. He's our second most important player behind Kadary. Nobody else is close to those 2.

The rebounding will be fine. There were a seemingly inordinate amount of rebounds that one of our guys had both hands that we didn't end up. Zuby, Kadary, Scott and Luis are all plus rebounders.

Team showed their fight and experience to take over the game in the 2nd half on the road and overpower Rutgers inferior cast of periphery players. Knowing that Pitino's teams are always going to improve at a more rapid pace than most other teams I'm pleased with where the team is now especially in the current landscape of the game with nearly every program incorporating multiple new players.

1. Who's gonna step up when Kadary is on the bench?
2. As the game progressed, everyone but Rutgers super-freshmen, got better - especially, Sim and Deivon. Even the Big 10 refs improved in the second half, as did the announcers.
3. Those Rutgers freshmen are the real deal, but will it help the program much if they're both gone next year?
4. Z.U.B.Y.!!!!!

Had to run out for a bit at halftime but just watched the 2nd half.

For those saying Pitino kept Kadary on the bench for the whole 1st half after he picked up his 2nd foul only because it was an exhibition were proven wrong in the 2nd half. Pitino treated this as a real game the whole time. Even had the emphatic fist pump on the sideline when Luis forced the over and back turnover. Benching Kadary the whole half could have cost us the game and it will cost us a game at some point. Kadary only picked up 1 more foul the rest of the game. I just don't get it.

As I said, once the ball was tipped Pitino treated this as a real game. I'm not sure if the full scouting report was put in (more on that next) but in the 2nd half Pitino shortened the rotation bigtime and that shows where guys stand on the depth chart currently.
- Zuby played amazing obviously but Vince didn't even sniff the court in the 2nd half. Rick likes his upside but doesn't trust him yet.
- Glover and Prey are two other guys that Rick likes long term but they aren't ready yet. Both saw the court in the first half but not even long enough to break a sweat
- Nothing at all for Lefty
- Spot minutes for Brady. He's going to have to make some shots or he'll be on the bench all year

The defense was bad today but I'm not overly concerned about it. It looked like the team was prepared for a generic opponent and didn't tailor their strategy based on Rutgers' players. That's fine. They overhelped off shooters when they didn't need too way too much giving Rutgers open 3s. Also had Dunlap guarding Harper on back to back possessions which did not end well for us. Rutgers also made a handful of ridiculous shots, mostly the two stud Freshmen. The defense will improve by leaps and bounds.

Zuby is going to have a way bigger impact this year than Soriano had last year. His growth between last year's exhibition vs Rutgers and this game is astounding. He's our second most important player behind Kadary. Nobody else is close to those 2.

The rebounding will be fine. There were a seemingly inordinate amount of rebounds that one of our guys had both hands that we didn't end up. Zuby, Kadary, Scott and Luis are all plus rebounders.

Team showed their fight and experience to take over the game in the 2nd half on the road and overpower Rutgers inferior cast of periphery players. Knowing that Pitino's teams are always going to improve at a more rapid pace than most other teams I'm pleased with where the team is now especially in the current landscape of the game with nearly every program incorporating multiple new players.
Zuby is a ++ offensive rebounder but he’s a big liability on the defensive glass.

We missed a lot of box outs. This will be a problem.

Kadary is a + defensive rebounder. Scott and Smith can win their matchups. Luis too. We will have to gang rebound but I think we will be in the 200s for defensive rebounding and top 10 offensively.

Maker couldn't pass by me next season

Zuby is a ++ offensive rebounder but he’s a big liability on the defensive glass.

We missed a lot of box outs. This will be a problem.

Kadary is a + defensive rebounder. Scott and Smith can win their matchups. Luis too. We will have to gang rebound but I think we will be in the 200s for defensive rebounding and top 10 offensively.
Generally agree. Zuby is a liability on the defensive glass because he goes for the blocked shots. He's not as reckless about it as Obekpa was (very high bar to clear to be fair) but I'm willing to allow him go for those blocks given the athletes that will be on the floor with him. Weak side rebounding will probably be a point of emphasis by the staff this year

Back