(EXHIBITION) @Rutgers, Thu., Oct. 17, 6:30p, BTN

Exhibition or not this was a HUGE win and comeback.
Pitino treated the game like an Exhibition for 80% of the game. Pikiell played to win 100 % of the game.
He allowed Kadary to take over the game in the end and no one one Rutgers was able to handle Zuby.
Would have liked to see more Glover over Brady but Pitino is big on building confidence in the rail thin Californian. At this point I consider him a true long term project that may need a full three years to be a go to offensive player.

-Start saving up to retain Zuby…his motor doesn’t even make any sense

-That mid-post back down by Richmond will be one of the best plays in the country and the pass to the perimeter will be there all year

-Wilcher is exponentially better in space…great complement to Richmond and pretty shot…shaky handle

-Luis will gets tons of steals

-Smith seems to be in the dog house (or Pitino trying to motivate) but he’s the only one that can do the things he can do

-Defensive rebounding will be a problem…Richmond will have to carry extra weight there…Scott as well

-Vince looked awful

-Smith finds those corners so freaking well it will open up shooters and lead to easy baskets off the extra pass that won’t show up for home in the stat sheet

-Spacing and screening sucked
Vince looked like Zuby last year. He’s huge and mobile. My bet is he will surprise last 1/3 of season just when we need him.

The alignments will be much different so don't think of it like that. Zuby will be facing the basket like a 4, on the perimeter more like a 4, shooting mid range like a 4, and putting ball on gloor like a 4. Defense may be different but at times zuby will be the best interior defender with Scott as his wingman
If Zuby is putting the ball on the floor we are in big trouble.

I think Dunlap will have some games where he knocks down shots but doesn't look like a big piece. Really need someone like Glover to step up and let's not wait the whole season.

Looked lost early. Their freshmen were seriously like video game cheat codes. Automatic everywhere. Keep in mind Kadary sat much of 1st H. So to end up winning getting their freshmen’s A games with Kadary sitting a lot was impressive. Away too.

Pros:
-D will clearly be way better this yr
-Zuby just wow
-RJ settled in
-Wilch quietly settled in
-Kadary was Kadary
-Lots of grit & fight

Cons:
-Brady isn’t a Big East player. I’m sorry. Glover time. Seen enough.
-FT shooting was atrocious. Comfy win if we hit them.
-Missed too many bunnies
-TO’s but it’s early

-Start saving up to retain Zuby…his motor doesn’t even make any sense
You may be right but Zuby comes from a great family who flew in tonight to watch him play. His dad will try to make every home game coming in from Texas. Zuby will have a huge rooting contingent for the Bahamas.

His dad is a bright and great guy who will not have Zuby grab the most $$ and sacrifice learning from the best in Pitino. Him staying is more about Rick helping Zuby become a solid NBA draft choice. If Zuby continues to improve (at forward, sorry Mase) I'd bet heavily Zuby stays so long as he gets fsir NIL.

Fire Pitino!

Oh Wait!!

We won? On the road against a top 25 team! Unbelievable!
PLEASE! I should have said under-coaching because if you think Steve Pikiell would have (a) started Ayo and (b) used Brady Dunlap in key possessions, then you don't know Rick Pitino.
Minus the two future NBA freshmen, St. John's could have dominated Rutgers from end to end. He tinkered with player assignments and he made the requisite assignments so the 6 10 Bailey wasn't just granted open shots in the last quarter and Wilcher wasn't on the 6'7 Harper who owned anyone defending him.
Luckily, the defense by the frosh was not up to the level of their offense.

Last edited:
He’s 7’2”. Guys like hasheem Thabeet and and Roy Hibbert were far less athletic. Ni could name a ton more guys at that size that were less athletic yet dominant in the big East. I’ve said it before the season, he’s got upside. Athletic for his size.
It's a shame it's clear that he's a still a far cry athletically from his HS videos

He’s 7’2”. Guys like hasheem Thabeet and and Roy Hibbert were far less athletic. Ni could name a ton more guys at that size that were less athletic yet dominant in the big East. I’ve said it before the season, he’s got upside. Athletic for his size.
You’re wrong, but it’s not worth the argument. Time will show what he is. He’s a ground-based player that will be useful against bigger centers. That’s it.

We will need his rebounding. Maker will easily pass him by next season if he’s still here.

That's a fair response. But he wont be a post player at all IMO. It's an important distinction. I think Zuby would have transferred if relegated to center. Any hope for an nba future is at the 4. He is also a pretty good passer and a much better perimeter shooter than given the chance for last season.
He was a post player tonight. And I don’t disagree with your synopsis of him, but he’s playing the 5 in college and that’s what’s gonna help him stand out.

Back