Euro 2024

Not that I particularly care for either team but Spain dominated Italy. What a game by Donnarumma though. For all that dominance, it took a fluke own goal to get something by him.
Now that Ramos is out I have a new Spanish player that I hate: Carvajal. It's been going on for a while but today was just another example of how annoying he is. He plays dirty, loves to try to bait his opponent, whines to the ref and gets the award for simulation on his dive late in the game. He deserved a yellow. (n)

Now that Ramos is out I have a new Spanish player that I hate: Carvajal. It's been going on for a while but today was just another example of how annoying he is. He plays dirty, loves to try to bait his opponent, whines to the ref and gets the award for simulation on his dive late in the game. He deserved a yellow. (n)
Yeah he pulled the same crap in the Champions League final and got rewarded by scoring the winning goal. Not a fan.

From an Italy perspective, this is a team in transition. The better team clearly won yesterday.

I have faith the team will be markedly stronger in 2026, once Spaletti gets to fully implement his system.

He is a great coach, and as a Napoli fan, he put together the most memorable season in the club’s history by winning the scudetto last season (even better than the Maradona years because the team was not as talented as the 1980’s group), but was hired hastily once Mancini bailed after the first two qualifiers to take the Saudi job at $25 million a year (nice combination of far greater money and far less pressure).

The team is being built from the back out. Italy has always had great goalkeepers and Donnarumma is next in line. He is clearly one of the best in the world, while his backup Vicario, has done well at Tottenham.

Bastoni and Calafiore (the own goal was fluky) are very good center backs. And their younger national teams have been doing well.

The team should still advance out of the “group of death” and depending on matchups, maybe reach the quarterfinals, which is good for me.

That’s it for me. I wanted to pivot this thread from being too German-centric. After all, Italian food, wine, and sports cars are still the undisputed kings.😉😇

I am no soccer expert but I certainly have watched quite a bit through the last few years. Watching Italy/Spain yesterday and I don’t think I’ve seen so many “dives” since Shane Battier left Duke. The other games were not so bad. The theatrics had me believe guys were shot by a sniper. I didn’t see a lot of yellow cards. Even the Announcers alluded to this but they didn’t push hard on the topic.I support more yellow cards for diving like hockey has penalties. Jeez.

I am no soccer expert but I certainly have watched quite a bit through the last few years. Watching Italy/Spain yesterday and I don’t think I’ve seen so many “dives” since Shane Battier left Duke. The other games were not so bad. The theatrics had me believe guys were shot by a sniper. I didn’t see a lot of yellow cards. Even the Announcers alluded to this but they didn’t push hard on the topic.I support more yellow cards for diving like hockey has penalties. Jeez.
Funny but during the game I said to my wife what great acting. I am sure they a training routine that teaches those "moves" given by a stunt man,

I understand why these guys do it but they should be embarrassed. The refs should be giving yellows for simulation, without a doubt, that’s why it continues. 2 yellows before the Quarters in this tourney and you’re out a game, reason alone not to dive right there.

We had a guy in my men’s league roll around like a bitch about a month ago, I mean, just like you see on tv, for a good minute or two. Ref, bless his soul, doesn’t call anything (they had a throw in anyway) and then the guy almost scores like 2 minutes later. I say to him, hey weren’t you like dying 5 minutes ago? Of course, nothing from him. I would never do that, but that’s just me. It’s not a good look imo.

From an Italy perspective, this is a team in transition. The better team clearly won yesterday.

I have faith the team will be markedly stronger in 2026, once Spaletti gets to fully implement his system.

He is a great coach, and as a Napoli fan, he put together the most memorable season in the club’s history by winning the scudetto last season (even better than the Maradona years because the team was not as talented as the 1980’s group), but was hired hastily once Mancini bailed after the first two qualifiers to take the Saudi job at $25 million a year (nice combination of far greater money and far less pressure).

The team is being built from the back out. Italy has always had great goalkeepers and Donnarumma is next in line. He is clearly one of the best in the world, while his backup Vicario, has done well at Tottenham.

Bastoni and Calafiore (the own goal was fluky) are very good center backs. And their younger national teams have been doing well.

The team should still advance out of the “group of death” and depending on matchups, maybe reach the quarterfinals, which is good for me.

That’s it for me. I wanted to pivot this thread from being too German-centric. After all, Italian food, wine, and sports cars are still the undisputed kings.😉😇
Then why did the Spanish media call Yamal and Nico the Ferraris of the competition? ;)

There was a hysterical video posted a few years ago by a Real fan.

This big heavyset guy is wearing a Neymar Jr. Barca shirt and just kicking the ball around. A little girl in a Real shirt runs near him and the guy flops to the ground and starts rolling around grabbing his ankle and pounding his fist on the ground screaming in agony.

It wasn't too far from reality.

Italy playing with the kind of sense of urgency after the Modric goal they should have been playing with since the beginning. Donnarumma is an insane keeper.

No offense intended, but Italy play ugly.
No offense at all. They have to muck it up.

The team is not that good. They in transition. But they have a great goalkeeper and they will fight hard. They can beat the Swiss, but I think it ends after that,

No offense at all. They have to muck it up.

The team is not that good. They in transition. But they have a great goalkeeper and they will fight hard. They can beat the Swiss, but I think it ends after that,
They can't score and Donnarumma is bound to make a mistake, don't sleep on the Swiss

They can't score and Donnarumma is bound to make a mistake, don't sleep on the Swiss
Italy is not good enough to take anymore for granted. I just said they can beat Switzerland (and just as easily lose), but it will most likely end there.

Italy is not good enough to take anymore for granted. I just said they can beat Switzerland (and just as easily lose), but it will most likely end there.
Italy’s biggest issue is their front 6. Their back 4 and their keeper are all class. I really rate Bastoni (even though he missed a few free headers) and Calafiore. Calafiore missing knockout game is a problem for them. Switzerland has a nice team and I can definitely see a player like Xhaka bossing their midfield.

Southgate puts another nail in his coffin with that performance. If England think they continue to just go through the motions in the next round they're in for a rude awakening.

Back