EPL 2013-14

50 posts on a soccer thread and not one post from Kranmars. I'm getting concerned

Football thread

It's soccer.
Traditionalists need to get over it or move to Europe.

That job I had with GE in Munich got cancelled when the Euro crisis hit. Otherwise, that is where I would be, one train stop from the Allianz Fussball Arena in Munich.

It's just so difficult to talk about it. Who accepts the word soccer. Who considers you a no nothing when you say it. Simple rule. If you are in America it's soccer. Anywhere overseas it's football. Can't we all abide by it?

Not the case in Ireland. They call it soccer to differentiate it from Gaelic Football, the most awesome of all ball games:

My guess is in Australia they call it soccer as well. Remember when ESPN was in its infancy and used to show Aussie Rules? Fantastic sport.

2 years ago my fiancee and I went to Ireland and were in Dublin on St Patricks day. We got like 5th row center at Croke Park for their club gaelic football and hurling championships.

That was a lot of fun to watch.

Respect TXRed!

Coleman has elevated his play something awesome. I wear his jersey proudly as both Evertonian and Irishman. :)

Delofeau (sp!?) is one of many loan players that have been brilliant. He'll be out a good month at least though. Barkley is legit and it's fun to watch him and Coleman grow as they have. The one knock on Moyes as Everton manager was his reluctance to give young players time on the field. Martinez is all kinds of happy-go-lucky about things and wants all to step up their games. Alcaraz played well yesterday and Stones has potential from the back, and the McCarthy signing is beginning to be viewed as a steal. The midfield seems better with McCarthy and Barry over Fellaini/Gibson even.

Can't say I go as far back as the days when Everton was like, well, like St. John's. I feel a weird bond between the two in that both experienced their heyday in the 80s and have had glimpses of similar success from time to time since.

Cheers.

Full schedule today. Congrats to Guinness77 - the upset was Spurs beating Man U 2-1 at Old Trafford. (Would have preferred a draw :lol: ). The grousing about Moyes will return and it is now official: Sherwood > AVB. Bittersweet for Spurs: Ade scored but got injured and may miss the upcoming FA Cup game with Arsenal. The top teams all won. Man City and Chelski on the road; Arsenal left it late to put two past Cardiff.

The Gunners were without Gibbs, Ramsey, Ozil and Giroud. Poldi was uninspiring at center forward and was subbed for the Great Dane @ 60 mins. TGSTEL showed his worth – but injured his ankle getting the all-important first goal. Theo got the second after a sweet through pass by Jack Wilshere.

Interesting stat: Arsenal have not lost in two years if Mertesacker and Koscielny start and end the game together. They were rock solid again this afternoon. Remember Kos went off injured in the Man City mauling…

Surprised that Everton were held by Stoke – in fact it took a late penno to get the result – the Potters had looked poor in their last two and I was sure the Toffee’s would have won at home.

In the relegation battle Fulham beat West Ham, Sunderland lost at home to Villa and Norwich-Palace ended 1-1. L'pool brought Hull back to earth winning 2-0. Suarez scored again for the Reds; he now has 20 goals in 15 games after missing several games early on (suspending for gnawing on Ivanovic’s arm). We will divide the room but not questioning his abilities.

No real change in the table.

Saturday brings the FA Cup Third Round, the big tie being the aforementioned Arsenal-Spurs affair. Bragging rights on the line.

Stoke is particularly gritty at home. Mirallas connected twice with the crossbar, the real MVP for Stoke today. I'll take the road point, but it's a part of the schedule where they're allowing points to slip to teams in the bottom half, not good if you want a top 4 spot.

Stoke is particularly gritty at home. Mirallas connected twice with the crossbar, the real MVP for Stoke today. I'll take the road point, but it's a part of the schedule where they're allowing points to slip to teams in the bottom half, not good if you want a top 4 spot.

My mistake - for some reason I thought Everton were at home. How was Coleman today?

In the relegation battle Fulham beat West Ham, Sunderland lost at home to Villa and Norwich-Palace ended 1-1.

Bah. This post makes my stomach turn, but I can't hang you with the negative karma for it. First part of the year, I thought the Hammers' woes could be tied to Carroll's injury. Now I'm starting to think we're bad from back front to back.

In the relegation battle Fulham beat West Ham, Sunderland lost at home to Villa and Norwich-Palace ended 1-1.

Bah. This post makes my stomach turn, but I can't hang you with the negative karma for it. First part of the year, I thought the Hammers' woes could be tied to Carroll's injury. Now I'm starting to think we're bad from back front to back.

Well captain numbnuts is not helping the cause by getting yet another red card... File that one in the "What were you thinking" box - kicks the Fulham player right in fron of the ref.

I am holding my breath that Lewandowski comes to Bayern (on a Bosman) and not one your overspending EPL clubs. Of course, BvB is holding their breath hoping he doesn't come to Bayern.

I am holding my breath that Lewandowski comes to Bayern (on a Bosman) and not one your overspending EPL clubs. Of course, BvB is holding their breath hoping he doesn't come to Bayern.

BVB is a joke continuing to sell their best to their rival.

Lewandowski is a Bosman, i.e. his contract runs out June 30th and will be a free transfer. Gotze had a buyout clause that Bayern triggered (with the player's consent) and BvB had no choice.

Lewandowski is a Bosman, i.e. his contract runs out June 30th and will be a free transfer. Gotze had a buyout clause that Bayern triggered (with the player's consent) and BvB had no choice.

Doesn't' BVB have a choice by extending Lewandowski or increasing the clause for Gotze. Happens all the time, no?

*Plus BVB squashed his movement during the summer where they could have better control of where he was going and arguably made more $ in the process.

Dortmund didn't offer Lewa what he could earn elsewhere and they have to have the player's agreement to extend, same with Gotze and increasing his buyout clause.

They were also desperate to sell Lewa to Chelsea, MC or RM but Lewa refused because he wanted to go to FC Hollywood. Once BvB didn't or couldn't make him a good offer, he was as good as wearing red.

Rumor has it he's as good as gone. Supposed 5-year contract with BM already in place when his contract with Borrusia Dortmund is up.

Back