EPL 2013-14

That does suck. Rossi is a damn good striker. Given the same choice though, what country would you represent? Him and Balotelli fronting a 4-4-2 is a proposition not many CBs are going to like.

I am very American. Just passed.
Remove your feelings. Would you rather play for a country where the sport is held in the highest of regards and your chance of winning a WC is realistic or would you rather play for a country that has no tradition and almost no realistic shot of winning a WC?

It sucks, and I wish Rossi stayed with us, but I can't say I blame him for his decision. If I were Ozil, would I rather play for Turkey?

The flip side is a lot of those non traditional Americans (German and Mexican heritage) choose to play for the US because its easier to play on the NT team. Rossi looking back I think might choose to play for the US as he hasn't gotten as much time as most envisioned on Italy. Yes injuries played a factor of course.

Not talking heritage, talking born an raised.
rossi is a jersey boy.
very happy we've played italy so well lately.

That does suck. Rossi is a damn good striker. Given the same choice though, what country would you represent? Him and Balotelli fronting a 4-4-2 is a proposition not many CBs are going to like.

Remove your feelings. Would you rather play for a country where the sport is held in the highest of regards and your chance of winning a WC is realistic or would you rather play for a country that has no tradition and almost no realistic shot of winning a WC?

It sucks, and I wish Rossi stayed with us, but I can't say I blame him for his decision. If I were Ozil, would I rather play for Turkey?

The flip side is a lot of those non traditional Americans (German and Mexican heritage) choose to play for the US because its easier to play on the NT team. Rossi looking back I think might choose to play for the US as he hasn't gotten as much time as most envisioned on Italy. Yes injuries played a factor of course.

rossi is a jersey boy.

The German/US players are the same as Rossi. They are all born and raised in Germany and playing for the US instead. Because its easier to break into US ranks than German.

rossi is a jersey boy.

The German/US players are the same as Rossi. They are all born and raised in Germany and playing for the US instead. Because its easier to break into US ranks than German.

Jermaine Jones is German, I get that.
He would never had played for Germany.
Rossi on the other hand would have played for the US and over the past 5 years, the record shows the US has been the better side.
The only game I remember Italy winning was where rossi scored 2 goals.

Once a player earns a cap for a country he has to play the duration of his career for that country, so Rossi can only play for the Italian team.

That's true, some players will play for a certain country if they know they'll be in the starting XI as opposed to not even sniffing the field, but if you have your choice to play for an Italy, a Germany, a Brazil or a Spain vs. playing for the United States, or Mexico or Denmark, most guys will play for the former teams, not the latter ones.

Once a player earns a cap for a country he has to play the duration of his career for that country, so Rossi can only play for the Italian team.

I'm aware of that.
Good riddance to him.
Bacon will do just fine.

I'm aware of that.
Good riddance to him.
Bacon will do just fine.
Moose had made a comment about Rossi "coming back" to play for the US, that's why I pointed it out. I hate multi-quote, it's confusing, thats why I just posted it without quoting it.

I'm aware of that.
Good riddance to him.
Bacon will do just fine.
Moose had made a comment about Rossi "coming back" to play for the US, that's why I pointed it out. I hate multi-quote, it's confusing, thats why I just posted it without quoting it.

Gotcha.
multi-quotes are annoying.

I'm aware of that.
Good riddance to him.
Bacon will do just fine.

Never said he would come back because as you pointed out he can't. I said looking back. Very similar to college hoops and recruiting. Do you want to play or be last man on the bench. No doubt he would have played more for US.

Looking back. Ah, okay, i missed that. The wording was weird, but looking back at your post from last page I missed that. My bad.

50 posts on a soccer thread and not one post from Kranmars. I'm getting concerned

50 posts on a soccer thread and not one post from Kranmars. I'm getting concerned

Football thread

It's soccer.
Traditionalists need to get over it or move to Europe.

That job I had with GE in Munich got cancelled when the Euro crisis hit. Otherwise, that is where I would be, one train stop from the Allianz Fussball Arena in Munich.

Football thread

It's soccer.

That job I had with GE in Munich got cancelled when the Euro crisis hit. Otherwise, that is where I would be, one train stop from the Allianz Fussball Arena in Munich.

It's just so difficult to talk about it. Who accepts the word soccer. Who considers you a no nothing when you say it. Simple rule. If you are in America it's soccer. Anywhere overseas it's football. Can't we all abide by it?

Football thread

It's soccer.

It's just so difficult to talk about it. Who accepts the word soccer. Who considers you a no nothing when you say it. Simple rule. If you are in America it's soccer. Anywhere overseas it's football. Can't we all abide by it?

OK, for more confusion, "Hertha Berlin Soccer Club".

It is Fussball, Futbol or Football, not "soccer".

Australia, countries in Africa, and others, call it "soccer," based on the word "association" and originating in England itself I believe. Whatever works, but can we stop pretending that soccer jargon is any worse than what we use? Seriously, what's wrong with "kit" over "ewe-knee-phorm"? Considering every UFC fighter is a "beast" (Joe Rogan, sheeesh) and every American football metaphor is war-like, I enjoy the different terminology that global footy provides. Other things too complex for my fellow Americans...relegation and purely balanced schedules...ah, don't get me started...can't wait for noon time tomorrow...could really use a nice road win at Xavier. 20 Wins may not even be enough if the Big East don't provide top 25 schools by year's end.

Not a one of you mentions Everton's season thus far? Shame shame. :)

Happy New Year's folks.

Football thread

It's soccer.

Not the case in Ireland. They call it soccer to differentiate it from Gaelic Football, the most awesome of all ball games:

My guess is in Australia they call it soccer as well. Remember when ESPN was in its infancy and used to show Aussie Rules? Fantastic sport.

Not a one of you mentions Everton's season thus far? Shame shame. :)

Happy New Year's folks.

Au contraire, amigo. I gave Seamus Coleman's goal a plug yesteday. My favorite right back in the world.

Everton ran Arsenal ragged in the first half at the Emirate a few weeks back and we were happy to get a draw. Deulofelo (sp?) scored a great goal and young Barkley looks like a real talent. Roberto Martinez is a class act.

Showing my age but I remember when Everton were champs of the old Division One with Peter Reid, Kevin Sheedy, Andy Gray, Graham Sharp...

Football thread

It's soccer.

Not the case in Ireland. They call it soccer to differentiate it from Gaelic Football, the most awesome of all ball games:

Cool video!

My guess is in Australia they call it soccer as well. Remember when ESPN was in its infancy and used to show Aussie Rules? Fantastic sport.

Back