EPL 2013-14

TX Redman

I started this thread because (a) the basketball guys get upset when we talk football/soccer/futbol on the RedmenTalk thread (b) we have supporters of Tottenham, West Ham, Man U, Arsenal (me) and maybe even fans of Man City and Chelsea on this site (c) this EPL season is shaping up to be great, not the one or two horse races of years past.

When I was a lad, Liverpool dominated, winning the old First Division year after year and often the European Cup to boot. Then Sir Alex restored Man U and enjoyed two decades of domination, interrupted only occasionally by Wenger and Arsenal. In the last decade, Abramovich’s millions revived Chelsea and the Saudi’s poured money into Man City. More recently, Suarez has reignited Liverpool and Martinez works wonders with the Toffee’s. Sorry, Guinness77, I cannot find anything positive to say about Spurs post-Bale / AVB… :p

After 18 games played in the 2013-14 season, only a meager six points separate the top six teams. Very tight indeed. I would not rule out a late run by Man U once Moyes figures out his best XI and gets RvP, Vidic, etc. back. The smart money is on Man City. They have the biggest squad and some of the best players in the EPL. They can be beaten on the road – having lost four on their travels already – but at home are simply unstoppable.

The big game today was City vs ‘Pool and City did their title credentials no harm at all. The big surprise was Everton losing at home to lowly Sunderland –in fact the bottom three clubs all won. As expected, Man U and Arsenal prevailed away at Hull and West Ham respectively. After three sub-par performances, Arsenal needed a win and are back on top. The surprise for me as a Gooner was that Wenger did not rotate the squad today – at some stage you would expect Ozil, Giroud and Ramsey to get a break – all having played in almost every game this season. The good news is that both Theo and Podolski are fit again. Next up is Newcastle who annihilated Stoke today… The trip north to S. James' Park will not be easy.

The big game this weekend (aside from SJU/Columbia) is Chelsea-Liverpool.

It is great that NBC is showing the EPL; just wish we could see more live games from La Liga, Serie A, the Bundesliga and Ligue 1.

So, fellow fans of the beautiful game, chime in and let’s get the discussion going.

I started this thread because (a) the basketball guys get upset when we talk football/soccer/futbol on the RedmenTalk thread (b) we have supporters of Tottenham, West Ham, Man U, Arsenal (me) and maybe even fans of Man City and Chelsea on this site (c) this EPL season is shaping up to be great, not the one or two horse races of years past.

When I was a lad, Liverpool dominated, winning the old First Division year after year and often the European Cup to boot. Then Sir Alex restored Man U and enjoyed two decades of domination, interrupted only occasionally by Wenger and Arsenal. In the last decade, Abramovich’s millions revived Chelsea and the Saudi’s poured money into Man City. More recently, Suarez has reignited Liverpool and Martinez works wonders with the Toffee’s. Sorry, Guinness77, I cannot find anything positive to say about Spurs post-Bale / AVB… :p

After 18 games played in the 2013-14 season, only a meager six points separate the top six teams. Very tight indeed. I would not rule out a late run by Man U once Moyes figures out his best XI and gets RvP, Vidic, etc. back. The smart money is on Man City. They have the biggest squad and some of the best players in the EPL. They can be beaten on the road – having lost four on their travels already – but at home are simply unstoppable.

The big game today was City vs ‘Pool and City did their title credentials no harm at all. The big surprise was Everton losing at home to lowly Sunderland –in fact the bottom three clubs all won. As expected, Man U and Arsenal prevailed away at Hull and West Ham respectively. After three sub-par performances, Arsenal needed a win and are back on top. The surprise for me as a Gooner was that Wenger did not rotate the squad today – at some stage you would expect Ozil, Giroud and Ramsey to get a break – all having played in almost every game this season. The good news is that both Theo and Podolski are fit again. Next up is Newcastle who annihilated Stoke today… The trip north to S. James' Park will not be easy.

It is great that NBC is showing the EPL; just wish we could see more live games from La Liga, Serie A, the Bundesliga and Ligue 1.

So, fellow fans of the beautiful game, chime in and let’s get the discussion going.

Just streamed the Man city Liverpool match. First half was great Football. I'm a Barca fan myself. But in the EPL I root for my favorite players (Yaya Toure, Jozy Altidore, Ba) and their clubs. I like this season in the EPL because there is no clear favorite to me. Also since my cable provider doesnt carry La Liga im relegated to watching Barca on firstrowsports..smh. Luis Suarez is in the best form of any player in the world. I hate everything he stands for but hes a killer on the pitch.

Today was very indicative of our season so far, which in a nutshell meant it sucked. I have nothing positive to add, so I'll leave it at that.

TXRedmen, thanks for starting the thread, lest someone/some posters get their knickers in a bunch over nothing.

Bundesliga will be on Fox starting in 2015-16. Weekly doses of the best football on the planet.

There are lots of free streams of matches from all the top leagues every week. I catch at least a couple every week, sometimes more if Mrs. Ohiofan permits.

Bundesliga will be on Fox starting in 2015-16. Weekly doses of the best football on the planet.

There are lots of free streams of matches from all the top leagues every week. I catch at least a couple every week, sometimes more if Mrs. Ohiofan permits.

You and buckethead going to the X game?

"Bundesliga will be on Fox starting in 2015-16. Weekly doses of the best football on the planet."

The issue I have with the Bundesliga (and La Liga) is that it is often a two horse race. Granted those horses are incredible thoroughbreds. The top players in the world are for the most part at Bayern Munich*, Dortmund, Barca and Real Madrid. However there is a huge gap between the top two-three teams in these leagues and the also-rans. The EPL, despite Man U's dominance since 1992, is probably more competitive teams one through eighteen, at least in the last few seasons.

While I am no fan of Russian gas or Arabian oil money, the funding of Chelsea and Man City has created more excitement and pantomime villains like Mourhino, Tevez, etc. It is also good to see Liverpool and Everton on the upswing. Ditto Newcastle.

That said, while the EPL may be more exciting day in / day out, I would be shocked if a team from Germany / Spain does not win the Champions League.

* Bayern M have a 7 point lead with a game in hand and have not lost this season. Might as well give Lahm the 24th trophy now...

"Bundesliga will be on Fox starting in 2015-16. Weekly doses of the best football on the planet."

The issue I have with the Bundesliga (and La Liga) is that it is often a two horse race. Granted those horses are incredible thoroughbreds. The top players in the world are for the most part at Bayern Munich*, Dortmund, Barca and Real Madrid. However there is a huge gap between the top two-three teams in these leagues and the also-rans. The EPL, despite Man U's dominance since 1992, is probably more competitive teams one through eighteen, at least in the last few seasons.

While I am no fan of Russian gas or Arabian oil money, the funding of Chelsea and Man City has created more excitement and pantomime villains like Mourhino, Tevez, etc. It is also good to see Liverpool and Everton on the upswing. Ditto Newcastle.

That said, while the EPL may be more exciting day in / day out, I would be shocked if a team from Germany / Spain does not win the Champions League.

* Bayern M have a 7 point lead with a game in hand and have not lost this season. Might as well give Lahm the 24th trophy now...

The surprise this year is BVB is struggling and BMG is playing well and into CL discussion.

TX - only the last few years has the BL been a two man race. FC Bayern is always a favorite but Wolfsburg, Stuttgart have also been league champions in recent history.

Moose - Dortmund is struggling because of all their injured players, most of which will return for the second half of the season. Die Roten will have to have a rough patch at some point so look for BvB to make a run for the plate. Leverkusen also has the talent but we don't call them Neverkusen for nothing.

FC Bayern motto - Mia San Mia - we are who we are!

Werder Bremen was fairly competitive until recently and also had Miroslav Klose when he was in his prime.

Schalke 04 has a pretty good recent history as well. Dortmund's recent success is just that, recent. There's no question who the premier team is but there are some great clubs in the Bundesliga.

I do agree with Tx though, in terms of competitiveness, give the EPL every day of the week.

My wife got me a Lahm Bayern kit last Christmas. I love that thing. Tottenham (the Irish side) and Bayern (the German side) are my 2 clubs.

My wife got me a Lahm Bayern kit last Christmas. I love that thing. Tottenham (the Irish side) and Bayern (the German side) are my 2 clubs.

My favorite kit is Lahm's 2012 Euro Championship black jersey, #16.

I didn't know there was a Tottenham in Ireland?

My favorite kit is Lahm's 2012 Euro Championship black jersey, #16.

I have a #13 Muller kit from the 2012 Euros. Same as yours, black.

I really have taken a love for the game but I hate the terminology (i.e. Kit) and some of the other backwards things like home team on the left or top as opposed to right or bottom

:)

I really have taken a love for the game but I hate the terminology (i.e. Kit) and some of the other backwards things like home team on the left or top as opposed to right or bottom

:)

table.

Those terminologies are beautiful, you will get used to it. Offside :silly:

It's taken me years to figure out the terminology (and sort out the various leagues/cups/breaks), but it's impossible to not feel like a pretentious jack*ss using it in a conversation in North America.

But I love the understated British sensibility of soccer announcers. Wish we could get some of those guys to call hockey/hoops/football over here.

(For the record: West Ham fan in the EPL – man, did I pick the wrong time to back that horse! – and Roma in Serie A.)

The EPL season has reached the halfway point today with Arsenal on top courtesy of a narrow but respectable win at Newcastle. Deprived of Ramsey and Ozil, the Gunners created little going forward but Cazorla and Rosicky were lively and Giroud scored his first in ages. The stars were Koscielny and Mertesacker and the rest of the defense, who after being absolutely shredded by Man City, have conceded only once in the last three. Man City and Man Utd also scratched out 1-0 victories this weekend.

Chelsea edged L’pool 2-1 and underlined the key to beating the Scousers, i.e., keep Suarez off the scoresheet. The Reds played two tough teams (Chelsea and Man City) back to back and were unlucky to get nothing out of either game. Only two points separate the top three teams.

One of the best goals this weekend was by Everton’s right back wee Seamey Coleman from Killybegs, Co. Donegal, a sweet right footed howitzer after a run down the right from his own halfway line.

Full complement of games on New Year’s Day: the pick being Man U vs. Spurs. Moyes has the steadied the Red Devils ship and Sherwood seems to have Spurs playing a bit better than they did under AVB but I expect a home win and several (4+) goals.

Back