EPL 2013-14

After another weekend of games it is "as you were"; the top seven all won. At the bottom, Sunderland walloped Fulham and Big Sam somehow got the Hammers back on track by beating Cardiff 2-0. Ole Gunnar is crazy to take the Cardiff job...

In the Villa-Arsenal game, the Gunners looked good in the first half but slacked off a bit in the second and held on for a nervy 2-1 win. Rosicky busted his nose and Monreal may have broken a toe. In better news, the Ox is back.

Not much transfer news except Chelsea have signed a guy for GBP22MM that they sold for GBP3MM three yrs ago. They announced a huge financial loss last week for 2013. Go figure. Will Abramovich's millions ever run out?

22 games down, 16 to go and this weekend it was not what happened with the top 3 – they all won – it is what is happening just behind them. Liverpool had to come from two down to draw at home with Villa (thanks to a dubious penalty) and Man U without RvP and Rooney were well beaten by Chelski. The title will go to one of Arsenal, Chelsea or Man City. It looks like Liverpool, their cross city rivals Everton and a Sherwood inspired Spurs will battle for the last CL spot. Man U are done. Fergie bailed out just in time, leaving Moyes with a weak squad.

Relegation zone is crazy. Only 6 pts separate tenth placed Norwich from Cardiff /Sunderland/West Ham, who are all anchored to the foot of the table. The Jan transfer window will have more impact at the bottom of the table than the top…

Arsenal won 2-0 at the Emirates over Fulham thanks to two well taken goals from Spaniard Santi Cazorla who is beginning to find his form of last year. The Gunners never hit top gear but did not need to. The back four looked pretty solid throughout. Importantly, Arteta, Ramsey, Gibbs and Rosicky were all able to rest / recuperate. Next up, Coventry in the FA Cup, an unusual Fri night game. Expect to see the fringe players in that one.

Arsenal 4-0 Coventry, FA Cup 4th round. Podolski (2), Giround, Cazorla.

Zelalem, 16 yrs and 363 days made his debut. Highly regarded, could play for US, Ethiopia or Germany.

Rumors are Arsenal are set to sign Julian Draxler from Schalke... that will knock Mata from the headlines.

Arsenal 4-0 Coventry, FA Cup 4th round. Podolski (2), Giround, Cazorla.

Zelalem, 16 yrs and 363 days made his debut. Highly regarded, could play for US, Ethiopia or Germany.

Rumors are Arsenal are set to sign Julian Draxler from Schalke... that will knock Mata from the headlines.

The professor wants more midfielders. Would still love to see short term option up front like Vucinic. The Little Dane was dreadful today

Tough one yesterday for Arsenal at Southampton. They sure played inspired. Starting out down 1-0 and narrowly being down 2, a point is ok but in the grand scheme of things two teams can jump them this week and the rough stretch is coming up after the weekend.

With 2 days left can they grab Draxler as has been much talked about? Can they grab a cheap striker as well like Rodrigo or Vucinic. The professor played it cool earlier in the week but dropped some serious hints yesterday after the match that news might be coming.

A point at Southampton is not the worst result in the world - they held Man City 1-1 at home but on the flip side lost to Spurs and Chelsea. If Arsenal are to be champions, these are the games you need to win... Arteta and Flamini in the middle do not offer enough going forward.

Flamini's red card means he is now out for 3 (maybe 4?) games and apparently Ramsey re-aggrevated his injury and could be out for 4-6 weeks. The fixture list for Feb is scary: L'pool (2x), Man and Bayern.

Even if Draxler does come in, he is injured...

Maybe Guinness77 and his team will do us a favor today!

A point at Southampton is not the worst result in the world - they held Man City 1-1 at home but on the flip side lost to Spurs and Chelsea. If Arsenal are to be champions, these are the games you need to win... Arteta and Flamini in the middle do not offer enough going forward.

Flamini's red card means he is now out for 3 (maybe 4?) games and apparently Ramsey re-aggrevated his injury and could be out for 4-6 weeks. The fixture list for Feb is scary: L'pool (2x), Man and Bayern.

Even if Draxler does come in, he is injured...

Maybe Guinness77 and his team will do us a favor today!

I think you can have Arteta or Flamini out there at same time but there are issues when they are both out there at the same time. Draxler they say is training for Feb return but ideally you'd like a 2nd signing in there.

Also have to say Sagna is a bit of unsung hero. He was gased on the 2nd goal yesterday but if he chooses to play elsewhere next year we really need a top replacement. Its not Jenk or Monreal.

"I think you can have Arteta or Flamini out there at same time but there are issues when they are both out there at the same time".

Agree 100%.

Spurs just got smashed by M City 5-1 but WHAM! held Chelski 0-0... so not all bad news.

"I think you can have Arteta or Flamini out there at same time but there are issues when they are both out there at the same time".

Agree 100%.

Spurs just got smashed by M City 5-1 but WHAM! held Chelski 0-0... so not all bad news.

Nasty, vicious game between WestHam and Chelsea. Happy to see my Hammers get the draw on the road...

Agree 100%.

Nasty, vicious game between WestHam and Chelsea. Happy to see my Hammers get the draw on the road...

Thanks. 30 shots for Chelsea? Its like a Fifa video game.

I really think Arsenal and Chelsea are gonna fight for the #2 spot. Man City is just an offensive juggernaut.

Well, well, well... if old Jose Mourinho & crew didn't roll into Man City today and do a number on the Citizens. That was the upset of the week and they could have won by more. Thank you Chelsea for stalling Man City's progress and leaving Arsenal with a 2 point lead at the top. Liverpool and Spurs were both held to 1-1 draws and Moyes misery continues. Even with Mata, RvP and Rooney, MUFC endeavored to lose to lowly Stoke.

Arsenal had a comfortable 2-0 win over Crystal Palace thanks to two very nice goals from the Ox. He is a like a new signing! Speaking of which, Wenger did as expected and signed no-one in the transfer window, unless an already crocked Swede on loan counts. (He doesn't). I think Cazorla played very well, buzzing all over the place. Mert and Koscielny again very solid. Sir'Chesney barely troubled. Poldi and Ozil saving their best for the next game…? Which is Liverpool at Anfield. Wilshere and Rosicky should be back but we may not see Ramsey until March. A win is important over Liverpool - it will set the appropriate tone for the FA Cup game on Feb 16.

At the other end of the table, it is still tighter than a crabs you-know-what (water-tight). Any one of ten teams could go down. Fulham are at the bottom now but made a couple of good signings in Jan, so who knows?

Might be going to Colombia end of March. Are there any big soccer teams over there in either Bogota or Cartegena that I should check to see if they have home games assuming they don't kidnap this 6ft4 Gringo and send me to the jungle ?

Might be going to Colombia end of March. Are there any big soccer teams over there in either Bogota or Cartegena that I should check to see if they have home games assuming they don't kidnap this 6ft4 Gringo and send me to the jungle ?

Can't help you there MJ, sorry.

Make sure to watch "The Two Escobars" (ESPN 30 for 30) before you go. One of their better efforts. Pablo and Andres. Drug cartels and soccer do not mix... It is on youtube. Riveting.

Can't help you there MJ, sorry.

Make sure to watch "The Two Escobars" (ESPN 30 for 30) before you go. One of their better efforts. Pablo and Andres. Drug cartels and soccer do not mix... It is on youtube. Riveting.

Great !! I will watch it this week. Wont be going till end of march most likely going on the assumption that we won't be making a run in the ncaa's

Thanks for the suggestion !

So we keep this on soccer and not the travels of Maher.......... :)

It really baffles me how Wenger handled the window. I know his disdain for January window and I think there should be some tweaks. Maybe two weeks only and between Christmas and middle of January when quite a few leagues take a little respite. But if you were willing to spend anywhere from 25-40M on Draxler and hope he morphs into the next coming of RVP AND with a new Puma deal coming that would be giving you 30M a year you couldnt go out there and maybe nab a safety net up front for say 10-15M? That's what Fulham paid for an in form Mitroglou. Or what they sent Berbatov to Monaco for. Or who knows what the value of Vucinic or Fabio was from Juve. I know they tried to nab Klose from Lazio and they blocked any move. To compound it grabbing a MF I understood but a guy with a back problem???? Half of his loan stay he won't be able to play.

If Oxe can stay healthy he will be like a new signing. This upcoming stretch is brutal. No way around it. The outcome yesterday was ideal. Now Liverpool twice and a spiraling ManU in between. Then CL and OhioFan's boys will be waiting.

Back