Coach Kim Leaves for Michigan

bums me out.. def agree that sju should not have let her go just bc of the $$. It appears that she must have gotten a decent raise since one of the michigan papers indicated that her husband would stay home with the kids for a year.

No question it was the $$. plus the childrens exposure to the academic resources of UM.

Since St. john's has found a way to satisfy the salary demands of male coaches who are successful in its non recenue sports, I hate to think that Fr. Donald J. Harrington and his administration believe that a successful women's coach should not be held to a lesser standard than Coaches Blankmeyer, Gelman & Mazur.

St. John's did not understand just how fortunate it was to have someone of the ability of Kim Barnes Arico.

Michigan understands how fortunate it is to hire someone of the ability of Kim Barnes Arico.

Since St. john's has found a way to satisfy the salary demands of male coaches who are successful in its non recenue sports, I hate to think that Fr. Donald J. Harrington and his administration believe that a successful women's coach should not be held to a lesser standard than Coaches Blankmeyer, Gelman & Mazur.

St. John's did not understand just how fortunate it was to have someone of the ability of Kim Barnes Arico.

Michigan understands how fortunate it is to hire someone of the ability of Kim Barnes Arico.

Otis, Michigan has an $8 billion endowment. St Johns probably understands perfectly well how valuable Kim was, but they're not going to win a bidding war with UM.

And even if they did, who's contract do you not renew to pay for Kim's bump... Lavin? Blankmeyer?
It's not as easy as saying "they should've paid her", as I'm sure you know.

Does anyone know the real “inside story” did KBA leave over Money only? 

Hardest thing she ever had to do. 100 times harder that she thought, however she could not pass opportunity.

Interesting take by former coach who left Michigan on his own terms,because of family love and better way of life out of the pressure cooker. Borseth made a base salary of $193,000 at Michigan, but his total compensation was approximately $300,000, according to reports. His salary at Wisc GB was $130K range so not immensely different.

Great point Otis

So Coach Kim built a ncaa contender in a womens sport that was not generating enough $$ so they gave her No raise in salary which made her leave thats a disgrace on them.
Womens sports are just as important but Not to Father Harry :blink: 

She did a great job at st johns but my only issue with her is that it seemed she gave st johns a back handed slap in the face when she said she was blown away by the facilities and resources at Michigan. She didnt have to say that as her going away "gift" to the school. Although I would be the first to agree that we should spend more on athletics and facilities, we've done pretty darn good over the years for a school with limited resources. Maybe one day the st johns women will meet the mean and rich wolverines and kick their butt.

Did you say going away gift to the school ? Are you insane. A school that underpaid her for 10 years. She's the one who showed the loyalty.

Otis, Michigan has an $8 billion endowment. St Johns probably understands perfectly well how valuable Kim was, but they're not going to win a bidding war with UM.

And even if they did, who's contract do you not renew to pay for Kim's bump... Lavin? Blankmeyer?
It's not as easy as saying "they should've paid her", as I'm sure you know.

Desco,

Please provide to me a cite upon which you offer the fact that Michigan was prepared to get into " a bidding war" ( your term) to hire Coach Barnes Arico.

It seems odd that Father Donald J. Harrington and his esteemed administration are able to satisfy the salary demands of Coach Mazur who it has been reported has been courted by at least one large public university yet fails to retain its most successful female coach.

Desco, it was reported that Hather Donald J Harrington did not attend even one men's basketball game for several years. New York papers also reported after Jarvis was fired that Fr. Donald J. Harrington said that St. John's may consider dropping D1 men's basketball. My questions to you are: ( i )do you believe that Fr. Donald J. Harrington ever attended a women's basketball game to show his support for the student athletes? ( i i) do you believe that Fr. Donald J Harrington even knew who Kim Barnes Arico was before she ltendered her resignation?

Thanks.

at her news conference, kim said she left st john's "because it's michigan, for god's sake".

it's not always about the salary.

She said that to quote football coach Brady Hoke, who has made the saying famous around that athletic department when he got the job last year.

at her news conference, kim said she left st john's "because it's michigan, for god's sake".

it's not always about the salary.

For the 1000th time in the last few days she left because of SJU and the lack of respect, no more no less, however she is far too classy an individual to ever air her dirty laundry in public.

Records of the USDepartment of Education indicate that In 2010 St. john's paid an average salary for a head coach of a women's team was $102,699.

Before anyone concludes that the all of the Big East Catholic school pay similar salaries consider that the average salary for a head wonen's coach at DePaul for the same time period was $173,189, Marquette was $ 153,938, and Notre Dame was $172,895.

Records of the USDepartment of Education indicate that In 2010 St. john's paid an average salary for a head coach of a women's team was $102,699.

Before anyone concludes that the all of the Big East Catholic school pay similar salaries consider that the average salary for a head wonen's coach at DePaul for the same time period was $173,189, Marquette was $ 153,938, and Notre Dame was $172,895.

Absolutely pathetic, especially for the greatest coach in St. John's women's basketball history...They couldn't come up with an another $100,000 for the greatest coach they've ever had? Sad

She took home a lot more than that. Remember that's base salary. Then other benefits raise it pretty significantly. She made more than 3 times that.

She took home a lot more than that. Remember that's base salary. Then other benefits raise it pretty significantly. She made more than 3 times that.

As mentioned earlier former coach Borseth made a base salary of $193,000 at Michigan, but his total compensation was approximately $300,000, according to report. Now if what you mentioned is true at 2 times quoted base, package would be the same. Only change would be quality of life which can never be determined by an outsider.

It has been alleged that after conclusion of this past NCAA qualifying season Coach Arico asked to renegotiate her contract and was put off despite the fact that Mr. Monasch knew she was interviewing for the Michigan job.

Again- it is interesting that St. John's has found a way to satisfy the salary demands of its successful non revenue coaches Messres. Mazur, Gellman, and Blankmeyer but not Ms. Barnes Arico.

Does anyone believe that when Rutgers approached Coach Mazur a few years ago that St. john's did not attempt to satisfy his requirements?

Sad.

It has been alleged that after conclusion of this past NCAA qualifying season Coach Arico asked to renegotiate her contract and was put off despite the fact that Mr. Monasch knew she was interviewing for the Michigan job.

Again- it is interesting that St. John's has found a way to satisfy the salary demands of its successful non revenue coaches Messres. Mazur, Gellman, and Blankmeyer but not Ms. Barnes Arico.

Does anyone believe that when Rutgers approached Coach Mazur a few years ago that St. john's did not attempt to satisfy his requirements?

Sad.

Rutgers didn't approach Masur.
Other way around.

Back